Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 74 Likes Search this Thread
08-31-2014, 08:10 AM   #196
Veteran Member

I hate tiny french fries.

08-31-2014, 08:26 AM   #197
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Everyone knows you process smaller potatoes in a different way (boiling) than larger ones. You need separate equipment for all but the final steps! Its not the farmer's fault if you use their product incorrectly.

Apples to oranges, people!
08-31-2014, 08:29 AM - 3 Likes   #198
Pentaxian

It's not the size of the potatoes, it's the sharpness of the knife. I test all my knives extensively to make sure of maximum sharpness down to micrometre level, especially at the corners of the potatoes. You can always tell an amateur by the soft edges on their spuds.

Really, if you're not using the full-size Sabatier knives your cooking is always going to be second-rate. Just look at the DxO knife test results. All the pros use Sabatier, which is why they get so much flavour isolation from the main ingredient, with those creamy smooth out of focus background flavours. It's because they use razor sharp Sabatier knives and full-framed Le Creuset pans that the pros get their all their Michelin stars.
08-31-2014, 09:12 AM   #199
Veteran Member

I have big knives and small knives. Everything I can do with the small knife, I can do with the big knife. I just use larger potatoes.

08-31-2014, 09:20 AM   #200
Veteran Member

Smaller knives are much more portable than large knives. What good is a nine inch blade if it will only get you kicked out of public places?
08-31-2014, 09:21 AM   #201
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I have big knives and small knives. Everything I can do with the small knife, I can do with the big knife. I just use larger potatoes.
But why even bothering with the small knives ?
08-31-2014, 11:28 AM   #202
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
But why even bothering with the small knives ?
When I first started cooking, I was taking my knives up to the tops of mountains on a bicycle. The BladeTax-200D and BladeTax-5 and other associated equipment were much smaller than the Kanife 5D II, plus the BladeTax had more cutting range and was less expensive.

Since then my knee has given up. A larger knife with a more versatile range is the way to go for me now. Unfortunately that isn't BladeTax's strength.

I still love my BladeTax knife, but in late 2012 I was waiting for the 560mm katana from BladeTax and they priced it about three times what I thought they should. There was a deal on NiKutters full range blades that I just couldn't pass up that ended up being cheaper for me than just that one katana!

08-31-2014, 12:12 PM   #203
Veteran Member

When I first started cooking, I was taking my knives up to the tops of mountains on a bicycle. The BladeTax-200D and BladeTax-5 and other associated equipment were much smaller than the Kanife 5D II, plus the BladeTax had more cutting range and was less expensive.

Since then my knee has given up. A larger knife with a more versatile range is the way to go for me now. Unfortunately that isn't BladeTax's strength.

I still love my BladeTax knife, but in late 2012 I was waiting for the 560mm katana from BladeTax and they priced it about three times what I thought they should. There was a deal on NiKutters full range blades that I just couldn't pass up that ended up being cheaper for me than just that one katana!
True, but I've heard that NiKutters and Kanifes are prone to rust where BladeTax are specially treated.
08-31-2014, 01:18 PM   #204
Veteran Member

When people get to taste your cooking, would they know if you used a big or a small knife?
08-31-2014, 01:32 PM   #205
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dtmateojr Quote
When people get to taste your cooking, would they know if you used a big or a small knife?
Exactly, thats why it makes so much sense to buy one of the new Smart Knives that are so portable and will slip into your pocket - without cutting anything important
08-31-2014, 01:40 PM   #206
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Exactly, thats why it makes so much sense to buy one of the new Smart Knives that are so portable and will slip into your pocket - without cutting anything important
Don't get me started on smart knives...

Why would you want your spoon, fork, knife and portable meat thermometer all incorporated into one unit? Sure, its handy but the technology is still pretty well removed from where it can act as a true replacement for a decent set of kitchenware.
08-31-2014, 11:39 PM   #207
Veteran Member

You know we're all waiting for your follow-up post to say something like "For me, my big knives give sharper cuts, they cost less, and they're lighter and smaller than my small knives."
09-01-2014, 03:28 AM   #208
Veteran Member

This thread is only now starting to show promise.....
09-01-2014, 01:53 PM   #209
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The question should not be how big of a potato you need, but what is put on it. You know, sour cream, bacon, cheese, chives, etc. A big potato plain is just for show!
09-01-2014, 01:59 PM   #210
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Me, I changed over to a 3-inch (7.5 cm) multi-purpose army pocketknife for all my chores - hiking, workshop, kitchen. It works really well for most tasks, but it's a bit of a letdown when trying to carve up watermelons and the Christmas turkey. No offence to the Swiss, but I'm thinking of coming back to a set of knives that are tailored to different tasks.

- Craig