Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2014, 11:22 AM   #1
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,841
OK guys, which is which?

Because I take images on "Photgraphy Excursions" with various clients, and we often send each other links to each others photos, I have access to their pictures, often FF and mine, always APS_c...

So here's 3 pairs of pictures. Which is FF, which is APS-c....
1.


2.


3.


4.


5.


6.


3 FF images, 3 APS_c images

Guess the numbers of the 3 FF images...


Last edited by normhead; 08-20-2014 at 11:39 AM.
08-20-2014, 11:29 AM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: East Bay Area
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 786
probably want to remove EXIF on first image other than that I honestly can't tell, especially with landscape shots, which is often the case ...
08-20-2014, 11:36 AM   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,434
because YOU took the APS-C images, I'm guessing 2/4/6 are APS-C because they have better exposure, composition and white balance...lol


actually, I'd guess APS-C 2,3 & 6 because I believe I detect a slight bit of edge distortion in each of those that would indicate a wider lens was used to get the same FoV.

I had a sigma 12-24 that was a FF lens and it was great on APS-C because most of the edge distortion was cropped off by the smaller image circle. on film, I really didn't like it so much because it looked a lot like the sigma 10-20 on aps-c, with trees and edges distorted at weird angles along the edge.

I'm really seeing that in number 3. in number six the rocks along the left edge are definitely more distorted than in 5 and in 2 the land along the center horizon seems much more minimized, indicating a shorter focal length compared to 1.

Last edited by nomadkng; 08-20-2014 at 11:44 AM.
08-20-2014, 11:40 AM   #4
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,841
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
probably want to remove EXIF on first image other than that I honestly can't tell, especially with landscape shots, which is often the case ...
Ha ha. thanks for the heads up, it's all so complicated

---------- Post added 08-20-14 at 02:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
because YOU took the APS-C images, I'm guessing 2/4/6 are APS-C because they have better exposure, composition and white balance...lol


actually, I'd guess APS-C 2,3 & 6 because I believe I detect a slight bit of edge distortion in each of those that would indicate a wider lens was used to get the same FoV.
Woo hoo, we have a customer...

08-20-2014, 11:50 AM   #5
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,243
I think 1, 3 and 5 are APS-C.
08-20-2014, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
narual's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Bend (Notre Dame), Indiana
Posts: 1,942
I don't care which format, I'm just saying "ooh, pretty!"
08-20-2014, 12:03 PM   #7
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,841
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
I don't care which format, I'm just saying "ooh, pretty!"
Ya we got some nice pictures on that trip. This year he came back for more, and it rained 4 of the 6 days. You win some you lose some.
08-20-2014, 12:17 PM   #8
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,438
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
So here's 3 pairs of pictures. Which is FF, which is APS-c....
I have my opinions, but know well enough that none of those shots contains any particular clues.


Steve

08-20-2014, 12:26 PM   #9
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,841
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have my opinions, but know well enough that none of those shots contains any particular clues.


Steve
And you think they could have? Wat wid dat? Oh, I get it, you need me to select pictures that include clues.. silly me?
By the way, you got 2 out of 3 wrong, not that anyone is keeping score, it's just for fun.
08-20-2014, 12:29 PM   #10
Site Supporter
6BQ5's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Nevada, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,109
Hmm... as always, it's hard to guess with well done images what the sensor format was. Just for grins, here's my guess:

1) APS
2) FF
3) FF
4) APS
5) APS
6) FF

Nice shots !
08-20-2014, 12:32 PM   #11
Pentaxian
StephenHampshire's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Winchester
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,312
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
because YOU took the APS-C images, I'm guessing 2/4/6 are APS-C because they have better exposure, composition and white balance...lol


actually, I'd guess APS-C 2,3 & 6 because I believe I detect a slight bit of edge distortion in each of those that would indicate a wider lens was used to get the same FoV.

I had a sigma 12-24 that was a FF lens and it was great on APS-C because most of the edge distortion was cropped off by the smaller image circle. on film, I really didn't like it so much because it looked a lot like the sigma 10-20 on aps-c, with trees and edges distorted at weird angles along the edge.

I'm really seeing that in number 3. in number six the rocks along the left edge are definitely more distorted than in 5 and in 2 the land along the center horizon seems much more minimized, indicating a shorter focal length compared to 1.
I thought 2,3 and 6 were the FF ones! Viewing on my cheapo laptop is probably not the best way to decide, mind! Ive been offered a cheap D700 body -tempted to give it a go and do my own comparisons with the K5 I use on a daily basis!!

---------- Post added 20-08-14 at 19:37 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
I thought 2,3 and 6 were the FF ones! Viewing on my cheapo laptop is probably not the best way to decide, mind! Ive been offered a cheap D700 body -tempted to give it a go and do my own comparisons with the K5 I use on a daily basis!!
6BQ5 posted as I ws typing...at least we agree (even if wrong)... maybe I should post some of my old 35mm and 645 film shots and do the spot the difference thing as well
08-20-2014, 12:49 PM   #12
Pentaxian
panoguy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Washington, D.C.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,290
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Ya we got some nice pictures on that trip. This year he came back for more, and it rained 4 of the 6 days. You win some you lose some.
For this year's photos, you can sneak a Pentax Q shot in there!

I'm guessing 1, 3, 5 are the FF images, based entirely on your preference for cooler rendering... and APS-C sensors.
08-20-2014, 12:53 PM   #13
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,557
I know you said they're in pairs, but I'm going to guess 3 and 4 are APS-C and the rest are FF. The arrows are indicating that stuff got cropped off. Obvious.
08-20-2014, 12:57 PM   #14
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,841
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
For this year's photos, you can sneak a Pentax Q shot in there!

I'm guessing 1, 3, 5 are the FF images, based entirely on your preference for cooler rendering... and APS-C sensors.
Come on now, you really don't think as a former teacher, I'd make all of one odd and all of the other even? I did take a course on "test design" you know.
My guess, I've written at least 500 multiple choice tests.

---------- Post added 08-20-14 at 04:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I know you said they're in pairs, but I'm going to guess 3 and 4 are APS-C and the rest are FF. The arrows are indicating that stuff got cropped off. Obvious.
The arrows on that set are because they are both photobucket screen caps... actually they all are (I figured out how to avoid the arrows on the others.), that way whatever Photobucket does to them is constant among the images. I do put a little time into these things, retired as I am.
08-20-2014, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian
panoguy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Washington, D.C.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,290
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Come on now, you really don't think as a former teacher, I'd make all of one odd and all of the other even? I did take a course on "test design" you know.
My guess, I've written at least 500 multiple choice tests.
You'd like me to think that, wouldn't you?

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
24x36mm, aps-c, arrows, body, camera, comparisons, contest, crop, d700, edge, equivalence, ff, full-frame, fun, images, ir, iso, k5, pentax, people, photobucket, post, results, sensor, source, standards, times
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sony cameras ... which is which for what? jpzk Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 8 03-17-2014 05:46 AM
Which photo is which lens at 135mm? striker_ Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 9 10-30-2013 05:07 AM
Which is which macro? old vs new rp_dxn Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 09-27-2013 05:48 AM
Which is which? DA16-50 vs f/2.8 Primes carrrlangas Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 06-22-2013 10:52 AM
OK, Which is Sharper ? wll Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 10 09-06-2009 06:27 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:31 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top