Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2014, 10:47 AM   #91
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
If they are truly a glass maker first...... then,

Why pay a $800-$1,000 for a lens which has "adequate" sharpness and "decent" bokeh?

The reason to leave Pentax is the lenses. They have the best bodies. It's the lenses that need a lot of work if they are going to compete. 20 years ago Pentax could claim to have some of the best glass in the industry and that was a legitimate reason to shoot Pentax. I don't think that is the case anymore.
I guess I deliberately understated my opinion of these lenses, knowing that you aren't appreciative of current Pentax glass. I certainly am not trying to argue with you. You have your opinion and I have mine. I like the glass and if Fuji gave me five percent more sharpness, I don't know that that would make a difference in real world shooting.

As to price, I bought my lenses a long time ago and at that point, the DA 55 was 650 and the 50-135 was 700. I might feel a little differently if I bought them full price at current prices.

DA *55.

DA *50-135

09-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #92
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hoya Missed opportunity..

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
IIRC from my earl;y days on the Forum, when Hoya ran the show, their man-in-place told the optical engineers to design lenses that would win the 'test' platforms (maybe it was DXO, maybe something else). The engineers, the story goes, argued strongly in favor of 'ethereal' qualities such as rendering (the Pentax Pixie Dust). Shortly there were fewer optical engineers at Hoya Pentax.

You may draw your own conclusions whether 'optical engineers' is code for Hirakawa Jun.
They should have sent Hirakawa-San to counsel the SDM dude...
09-10-2014, 11:20 AM   #93
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
IIRC from my earl;y days on the Forum, when Hoya ran the show, their man-in-place told the optical engineers to design lenses that would win the 'test' platforms (maybe it was DXO, maybe something else). The engineers, the story goes, argued strongly in favor of 'ethereal' qualities such as rendering (the Pentax Pixie Dust). Shortly there were fewer optical engineers at Hoya Pentax.

You may draw your own conclusions whether 'optical engineers' is code for Hirakawa Jun.
Lol, that is a very good story. I guess the rub is that having such folks on board isn't a question of investment but of vision and company culture. If you want to make a difference and create that wow factor, you have to have them, but if all you do is count the beans you will never employ one of them. Managing creative people must be one of the most difficult things of all. I wonder what kind of culture Ricoh are building. I hope they are keen on the vision thang. Hard to imagine Pixie Dust without it.
09-11-2014, 06:11 AM   #94
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok, I have a social science background and a lot of the engineering is over my head but:
1. in an EVF context, wouldn't it be possible to offer "electronic diopter" functionality which would enable better vision correction that the current mechanical version?
2. What's the feasibility in-body lens evaluation and correction?

09-11-2014, 06:37 AM   #95
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Ok, I have a social science background and a lot of the engineering is over my head but:
1. in an EVF context, wouldn't it be possible to offer "electronic diopter" functionality which would enable better vision correction that the current mechanical version?
I doubt that number 2 is really feasible. Doing lens corrections on a live stream probably would really gum up the live stream. Just thinking about how much it slows down processing on still photos.
09-11-2014, 06:42 AM   #96
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I doubt that number 2 is really feasible. Doing lens corrections on a live stream probably would really gum up the live stream. Just thinking about how much it slows down processing on still photos.
Oh I wasn't thinking of "on-the-fly" correction but a one-time "introduction" of lens and body.
09-11-2014, 06:46 AM   #97
Pentaxian

I know the answer to the first...

With the Pana G5 for example you just look through the EVF and turn the diopter adjustment until the letters in the EVF look sharp to your eye. Friend of mine has very bad eyesight and wasn't even able to use any VF whatsoever untill he tried the G5 in the store. He tried all kinds of cameras, including my K-5 and A7r, and a lot more in the store without any luck, but the EVF of the G5 was able to go further and still has room to go.

It doesn't even display if it is at some nominal "zero" setting or something else, which I like. You just want it to be adjusted to your own vision. The diopter adjustment is IMO a big reason why an EVF can be better than just looking at the LCD on the back of the camera (the difficulty of seeing the LCD clearly out in sunshine being another reason).

Just saying EVF can surely do it, but it doesn't mean they all do it.

I can dream about your second point though! How I would love to be able to load my favorite DxO profiles and presents into my camera. So it can detect the lens, use the applicable profile and develop my pics in background.
09-11-2014, 06:47 AM   #98

Oh I wasn't thinking of "on-the-fly" correction but a one-time "introduction" of lens and body.
Are you referring to the current type of in-body distortion correction that a bunch of DSLRs have nowadays, using lens profiles?

They slow down the write speed but with time, and better technology, I'm sure the speed can be improved for people that use it.

09-11-2014, 07:00 AM   #99
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nagimaru Quote
Are you referring to the current type of in-body distortion correction that a bunch of DSLRs have nowadays, using lens profiles?

They slow down the write speed but with time, and better technology, I'm sure the speed can be improved for people that use it.
I would love to see an option where the camera just dumps the raw images on the card, and then processes these during the time that the camera is idle. Such things all seem obvious and so easy to implement to my uninformed mind.
09-11-2014, 07:01 AM - 1 Like   #100
Veteran Member

I've thought about and proposed the same thing before.

1) a supplied lens chart that the in-camera lens-calibrate software 'knows about'
2) Set up on tripod, choose FL (if zoom)
3) hit 'go'. Body re-tries PDAF focus incrementally until greatest contrast is achieved. Conceivably it should even be able to detect if the chart is tilted on an axis and adjust for that as well.
4) AF +/- adjustments for that lens and FL are saved in memory, and used each time going forward without calculation, just like AF adjust is used now. User would have the option of continuing with that lens at different FLs if it's a zoom, each FL being saved in memory for that lens.

But... if that were easy it would have been done by now

Last edited by jsherman999; 09-11-2014 at 07:09 AM.
09-11-2014, 07:13 AM   #101

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I would love to see an option where the camera just dumps the raw images on the card, and then processes these during the time that the camera is idle. Such things all seem obvious and so easy to implement to my uninformed mind.
Logically speaking, with current tech it would probably eat into battery life and heat up the camera if dealing with a large amount of files, and it seems to me that many people do their corrections en-masse in LR/PS nowadays.

But still, that's a good idea to think about. Who knows - it could be the norm in the future.
09-11-2014, 07:34 AM   #102
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the replies--I guess I'm not totally nuts ;~)
09-11-2014, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #103
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would like a DSLR with a 5'' tilt and swivel display, even if it could cover all those buttons on the back of the camera when is not in use. I also would like some basic post processing program in camera. But first, I would like a video AF tracking capable Pentax. And why not, some long and fast lenses, with in lens optical stabilisation, because at very long focal lens, the IBIS is not so efficient. I've tried a Canon 400mm F2.8 on a 1DX, and I was amazed to see that the image in the viewfinder was not moving at all, even that it was handheld. A 5+kg, some 50cm long monster, handheld, and the image in the OVF was not moving.

Last edited by JimmyDranox; 09-11-2014 at 07:47 AM.
09-11-2014, 10:02 AM   #104
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm going to need...

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
I would like a DSLR with a 5'' tilt and swivel display, even if it could cover all those buttons on the back of the camera when is not in use. I also would like some basic post processing program in camera. But first, I would like a video AF tracking capable Pentax. And why not, some long and fast lenses, with in lens optical stabilisation, because at very long focal lens, the IBIS is not so efficient. I've tried a Canon 400mm F2.8 on a 1DX, and I was amazed to see that the image in the viewfinder was not moving at all, even that it was handheld. A 5+kg, some 50cm long monster, handheld, and the image in the OVF was not moving.
A bigger checkbook...
09-11-2014, 10:53 AM - 5 Likes   #105

Pentax should make a FF because I want one. I do not care about this or that in or against it. I do not need to have a specific reason other than I want one, period.