Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2014, 02:49 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Maybe this will be a huge seller, but I'm not so sure. Feels like a middling product. Folks who need resolution will tend to go to the D810 and folks for whom 24 megapixels is enough, will go to the D610. Sports and wildlife photogs will be the ones who gravitate to this camera (choosing between it and a D4(s)).

As to what full frame camera Pentax makes, I hope they go their own way and make something that stands out. Modern, but with good ergonomics, in body image stabilization and small distinctive primes with odd focal lengths to go with it -- updating the FA limiteds is probably the start there, with sealing/quick shift/new coatings. Oh well, I probably don't have money for it now anyway...

09-13-2014, 03:19 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
Everything on the Nikon 750 + K mount + In-body SR & Simulated AA Filter = Perfect Pentax FF!
I've suggested before that a 24MP FF just like the D750 or even D610 would be great for Pentax to do as their first step into FF digital.

But many here said 'no, that's the wrong way to do it: Pentax needs to do something different - 24MP isn't enough, it needs to be at least 36MP; it needs to be mirrorless; they need a new mount; they need retro LX styling; it can't be a budget DSLR, it has to be a pro tool' etc etc.

Now the very nice but totally conventional D750 comes out and everyone wants Pentax to clone it. I'd personally be happy with that, but it's funny how the world turns.
09-13-2014, 03:47 AM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
it needs to be at least 36MP
Indeed, 24Mpx is just not enough. We saw already image quality between D600 and K-3 was not so significant. With the features from D750, pentax can just add 1/8000 max shutters, and better flash sync, and body retro style like Nikon Df.
09-14-2014, 09:53 PM   #34
Banned

I've suggested before that a 24MP FF just like the D750 or even D610 would be great for Pentax to do as their first step into FF digital.

But many here said 'no, that's the wrong way to do it: Pentax needs to do something different - 24MP isn't enough, it needs to be at least 36MP; it needs to be mirrorless; they need a new mount; they need retro LX styling; it can't be a budget DSLR, it has to be a pro tool' etc etc.

Now the very nice but totally conventional D750 comes out and everyone wants Pentax to clone it. I'd personally be happy with that, but it's funny how the world turns.
You weren't entirely alone mate.

I have always advocated a 24MP FF, and when Asahi Man suggested a 24MP FF in a K-3 style body I said "that would be perfect".

I still think it would be the perfect first FF offering for Pentax, but as others have suggested, now that Nikon has happily filled that gap ....

09-15-2014, 02:57 AM   #35

Well, imo the d750 has everything. well, except the in-body SR.
Looks like it's time for me to jump ship. I'm sad Pentax couldn't step it up, because I really liked the system, but looking at the d750, it's everything Pentaxians have been asking for.
09-15-2014, 09:43 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cpho Quote
Well, imo the d750 has everything. well, except the in-body SR.
Looks like it's time for me to jump ship. I'm sad Pentax couldn't step it up, because I really liked the system, but looking at the d750, it's everything Pentaxians have been asking for.
In body SR isn't needed when VR is available in a lot (most?) of their modern lenses and is more effective.
Even if you want to use older lenses without VR, you get clean pics with ISO up to 12800, so you can achieve the 1/(focal length) shutter speed pretty easily most of the time.

I think it's time for people to accept the fact that if you want FF, you should be looking elsewhere. If you want a well developed APS-C system, Pentax is not a bad choice.
09-15-2014, 09:50 AM   #37
Veteran Member

If people like the D750 so much, then why not just buy one and move on from Pentax? Why stay here and complain about Pentax not making something like it.

Go buy what you want and be happy. We don't need the negativity here.

09-15-2014, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
I think it's time for people to accept the fact that if you want FF, you should be looking elsewhere.
We should be so lucky.
09-15-2014, 12:08 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
In body SR isn't needed when VR is available in a lot (most?) of their modern lenses and is more effective.
I think rather few primes have in lens stabilization. Also, whether in body or in lens SR is more effective is a big debate. I think it turned out that with long lenses and macro range the in-lens SR is slightly more effective. For normal and wide angle in body did better. And in body has the advantage, as you noted, that it works with all lenses, even ancient manual lenses. This also means there are fewer parts to fail, you only have one SR system to worry about, rather than one on each lens. And when you upgrade your camera to one with better SR, all your lenses benefit, rather than having to update each individual lens.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 09-15-2014 at 12:14 PM.
09-15-2014, 07:16 PM   #40

Pentax has been totally scooped in essentially every conceivable market segment.

Even if they came out with a FF it would still have the Crippled KAf2 mount, which would still leave it inferior to Nikon's bodies.

---------- Post added 09-15-2014 at 10:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ilovemypentax Quote
Pentax is like Fuji. Both companies seem to want to perfect their crop sensor. And it is not like you can get a D810 for the price of a K3. The K3 is a top model in its class, so nothing wrong with that. If Pentax wants to distinguish itself with something different they should make an affordable FF Leica knockoff rangefinder that takes Leica glass.
The problem is that Pentax has absolutely no history of rangefinder design. Doing that would basically have to follow the Epson R-D1 model, the camera would be built on Cosina's film rangefinder chassis. That limits a number of things about the design.

The main competition in that market segment would be the A7 and the Fuji X series.
09-15-2014, 07:37 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul MaudDib Quote
Even if they came out with a FF it would still have the Crippled KAf2 mount, which would still leave it inferior to Nikon's bodies.
Huh? How is the KAf2 mount "crippled" vis á vis the Nikon F mount? As a side note, I personally find in-body stabilization a huge win for Pentax as it frees up their lens design (not that it has helped get any cool new lenses to market in a timely manner though! :P )

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul MaudDib Quote
The main competition in that market segment would be the A7 and the Fuji X series.
Totally agree here. Fuji in particular seems to be aiming squarely at the market the Pentax has historically dominated.
09-15-2014, 08:49 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ricoh should be closer to the D810 than the D610. A 750 copy would be neither - it would be only a 750 copy.
09-16-2014, 03:27 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
Huh? How is the KAf2 mount "crippled" vis á vis the Nikon F mount? As a side note, I personally find in-body stabilization a huge win for Pentax as it frees up their lens design (not that it has helped get any cool new lenses to market in a timely manner though! :P )

Totally agree here. Fuji in particular seems to be aiming squarely at the market the Pentax has historically dominated.
I think in body image stabilization, at least as it is implemented on the K3 a newer cameras is a huge win. There are certain things it is capable of that just aren't possible with in-lens stabilization. From a photography standpoint, as long as it works well, it doesn't really matter if is in the lens or in the body -- except, I guess for the viewfinder stabilization you get with VR lenses. A mature in body stabilization system should be as capable as in lens stabilization.
09-16-2014, 03:28 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
Fuji in particular seems to be aiming squarely at the market the Pentax has historically dominated.
It's an interesting comparison on many levels.
For one, I never see Fuji users opining about the lack of FF options for Fuji. It's very strange.
There must be something wrong with Fuji X shooters.
09-16-2014, 03:34 AM   #45

It's an interesting comparison on many levels.
For one, I never see Fuji users opining about the lack of FF options for Fuji. It's very strange.
There must be something wrong with Fuji X shooters.
I see Fuji system is the second option, after you have Nikon or Canon, thus the need for FF is minimal. But Pentax is different because 645 is there for professional, and even now FF is coming so pentax has upgraded its class to even higher position