Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2014, 03:41 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
If Pentax were to ever introduce a full-frame camera, they should take a cue from the recently announced Nikon D750 (which in my opinion would pair well with the K-3). To wit:
  • dual SD cards
  • tilt screen
  • 24Mp
  • Water-resistant (of course)
  • excellent video specs
  • built-in WiFi (control your camera from your iPhone OOTB without any FLUness)
  • -3EV focusing

Now if they decide to never release a full-frame camera, then some of you might consider the D750 as a 2nd body. Im shooting my K-3 together with my D800 and finding that it is not all that bad mixing two different systems. When I eventually upgrade my D800 I now have a choice of D750 or D810. Not clear which way I would go but I have time. Alternately, you could make the jump to the 645X (which is probably what Pentax is hoping).

YMMV

Michael
I'm not sure a D750 is an upgrade from a D800 but the D810 sure is. I have two D800e's and one D810 and the latter feels a much more mature camera to me. I was intending to sell one (or both) of the D800's until I noticed how much the price had dropped on the used market. I haven't decided 100% just yet.

09-16-2014, 07:16 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It's an interesting comparison on many levels.
For one, I never see Fuji users opining about the lack of FF options for Fuji. It's very strange.
There must be something wrong with Fuji X shooters.
Fuji is not making DSLRs any more, they have interesting MILC and mirrorless-fixed solutions that do "aps-c DSLR" better than "aps-c DSLR" in many ways. They are where aps-c DSLR shooters move to get the small/good fix, and where FF shooters go for a second, smaller system to compliment the FF DSLR.

Fuji chose this path, which is different than Pentax's... and it may eventually lead them to FF MILC as well if we can believe those rumours.
09-16-2014, 05:34 PM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
Huh? How is the KAf2 mount "crippled" vis á vis the Nikon F mount?
Nikon's bodies can automatically meter all AI lenses and up, only the very earliest lenses don't work because they would physically break stuff in the camera.

And as a special sweetener, the DF actually can mount/meter that early pre-AI series of lenses too. Pentax ought to offer a similar feature on a body, that can automatically meter the K/M series without lame workarounds.

Green-button metering is blatantly designed to try and close off some of the legacy lens library so that Pentax can sell new lenses instead. While everyone else is working on adding value to their cameras, Pentax refuses to release bodies the community has demanded for a decade, and actively removes existing functionality from their existing bodies. There's not a single body in the lineup - no matter how expensive - that lets you use those lenses properly, or at their native field of view.

It reduces the usability of some of the finest glass Pentax produced, and it's a slap in the community's face. It's either a cash grab or an unwillingness to add a $5 part on a flagship body, and it doesn't really matter which.

Last edited by Paul MaudDib; 09-16-2014 at 05:41 PM.
09-17-2014, 05:26 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
Reduces the usability..
I'm guessing you feel pretty much the whole world is slapping you in the face. Come here, I'll show you what being slapped in the face feels like.

What are you talking about? What lens doesn't work with the green button?
I'm a Pentax user for 48 years, started with screw mount lenses, and I haven't got a clue what you're talking about. I use M lenses and A lenses. Maybe you could explain, calmly and without having a meltdown, what it is you're having problems with. I'm curious, maybe I'm dense but I'm just not getting it.

I guess it's lost on you that Pentax is not as big a camera company as Nikon. Maybe you should stop trashing Pentax, and go buy your beloved Nikon Df. The odds of Pentax making such a camera are pretty slim. If you hadn't already done so, I'd say, you should switch to Nikon before you get all nasty and bitter because Pentax doesn't do everything Nikon does, but it's obviously too late for that.

09-17-2014, 06:17 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's an interesting comparison on many levels.
For one, I never see Fuji users opining about the lack of FF options for Fuji. It's very strange.
There must be something wrong with Fuji X shooters.
I think a lot of Fuji shooters use the cameras as secondary cameras, in addition to their main system with Canon and Nikon.

And the Fuji mount (and lenses) aren't full frame compatible. If you buy into the system, you know it isn't leading there. Even if Fuji would release a full frame camera, it would require a completely new mount and set of lenses.
09-17-2014, 06:23 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
What lens doesn't work with the green button?
I think he is referring to the 'crippled K-mount' issue and the need to use the green button to do metering with most K mount manual lenses. As opposed to allowing continuous metering just by twirling the aperture ring on a manual lens (like you can with NEX and a dumb adapter). No green button needed on NEX.
09-17-2014, 06:27 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think he is referring to the 'crippled K-mount' issue and the need to use the green button to do metering with most K mount manual lenses. As opposed to allowing continuous metering just by twirling the aperture ring on a manual lens (like you can with NEX and a dumb adapter). No green button needed on NEX.
I'll bet that if Pentax made a body with an aperture detection lever it would be biggfer than people want - and there would be howls of protest about that.

I really don't want a D750 copy. The copies Ricoh enables are in a different division of the company.

09-17-2014, 06:52 AM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As time goes by, the "crippled" k mount is less and less of an issue. Lenses from A series on are "fully supported." That's basically 40 years of lenses that are supported without pushing a button. Ones prior you have to push a button -- not a big deal to me -- and certainly not a big deal to anyone but a few Pentax faithful who have been collecting Takumars and are upset by pushing a green button for metering.
09-17-2014, 07:03 AM   #54
Pentaxian

OK, so you are willing to put up with the much slower manual focusing process, but you don't have time to meter with the green button? I get it. It's a legitimate complaint, I guess. To a person like myself brought up with a light meter, then TTL metering with the Spotmatic, which was still manual metering in that there was still manual function that had to be performed to set the meter, to A-lenses. It seems to me the author is fixated on a specific time period when a particular feature was the best technical solution to a given problem. Like he's caught in some kind of time warp. Meanwhile Tess and I only use M lenses for fun every now and then. We actually enjoy messing around with the green button. It just seems to be so cool to be able to use our old hunks of junk to take pictures. But we don't have any good old glass, our modern glass is better, so the issue is lost on us.

I guess we just have a different attitude.
09-22-2014, 01:30 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shaX 07 Quote
If people like the D750 so much, then why not just buy one and move on from Pentax? Why stay here and complain about Pentax not making something like it.

Go buy what you want and be happy. We don't need the negativity here.

OP was a suggestion to Pentax. No complaints.

---------- Post added 09-22-14 at 01:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think a lot of Fuji shooters use the cameras as secondary cameras, in addition to their main system with Canon and Nikon.

And the Fuji mount (and lenses) aren't full frame compatible. If you buy into the system, you know it isn't leading there. Even if Fuji would release a full frame camera, it would require a completely new mount and set of lenses.
I haven't looked at the mount, but how sure are you? Diameter is 36mm or something?
09-22-2014, 02:54 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
OP was a suggestion to Pentax. No complaints.

---------- Post added 09-22-14 at 01:31 PM ----------

I haven't looked at the mount, but how sure are you? Diameter is 36mm or something?
I think Fuji has mentioned in several interviews that the X Mount is APS-C only. Certainly all of their lenses are.
09-25-2014, 06:29 PM   #57

I shoot my m42 lenses in Av. No green button needed!
09-26-2014, 02:35 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shaX 07 Quote
If people like the D750 so much, then why not just buy one and move on from Pentax? Why stay here and complain about Pentax not making something like it.

Go buy what you want and be happy. We don't need the negativity here.

I went by my pro-shop today to play with one. The sold all of the 5 that they received is less than 24 hours. He told me that they were not on back order, so sales are not crazy, but that they were selling very fast. He has pre-sold 2 more from his next lot of 5 that are coming in.

I would like to stay with Pentax, but Ricoh might not make that possible. People aren't "complaining" about Ricoh. They are expressing an opinion about what they think Ricoh should do. You just happen to disagree with that.