Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2014, 12:42 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax should consider copying the D750

If Pentax were to ever introduce a full-frame camera, they should take a cue from the recently announced Nikon D750 (which in my opinion would pair well with the K-3). To wit:
  • dual SD cards
  • tilt screen
  • 24Mp
  • Water-resistant (of course)
  • excellent video specs
  • built-in WiFi (control your camera from your iPhone OOTB without any FLUness)
  • -3EV focusing

Now if they decide to never release a full-frame camera, then some of you might consider the D750 as a 2nd body. Im shooting my K-3 together with my D800 and finding that it is not all that bad mixing two different systems. When I eventually upgrade my D800 I now have a choice of D750 or D810. Not clear which way I would go but I have time. Alternately, you could make the jump to the 645X (which is probably what Pentax is hoping).

YMMV

Michael

09-12-2014, 12:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I imagine they will consider the D750
09-12-2014, 01:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The FF bodies itself are not that heavy but the lenses are unbearably heavy lugging around whole day.
If Ricoh can release FF without that bulk I am in
09-12-2014, 01:01 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This should have been Pentax's announcement at Photokina, not Nikon's! They're even more late to the party now, but better late than never IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-12-2014, 01:02 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nikon copied Pentax ergonomics with that deep grip. See the video
09-12-2014, 01:02 PM   #6
Forum Member

Mixing systems... you're like the devil on my shoulder!

I went from a D90 to a K-5 II, just before the K-3 was announced, because I was frustrated that Nikon wasn't offering a modern D300S replacement. Now the D750 looks to be that, in FX. Still have a bunch of DX lenses, and although none of them stellar, they could get me by in a pinch. D750 doesn't look too much bigger than my K-5, which is important to me, as is the full magnesium body (I can't bring myself to spend $2000+ on a plastic fantastic *cough*D610*cough*).

Dammit, I didn't expect the D750 would appeal to me as much as it does, but it's nearly the perfect full-frame camera for me.
09-12-2014, 01:03 PM   #7

Well it probably wouldn't be too difficult for Pentax to accomplish. They already have a lot of those bases covered:
  • SAFOX 11 AF System is already good down to -3EV
  • Weather Sealing is obviously no problem for Pentax
  • The K-3 already has Dual SD Card slots so that shouldn't be an issue
  • Since Pentax utilizes Sony sensors, sourcing a 24 MP sensor would be easy
  • The 645Z has a tiltiing screen so obviously that wouldn't be too difficult for Pentax either

The only real challenges for Pentax would be improving their video mode (focus peaking during recording please!!!!), integrating Wi-Fi into the body, possibly the issue of stabilizing the larger sensor, and of course the lenses. Honestly, I don't think it would be difficult for Pentax to better the D750.

09-12-2014, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by danny09 Quote
The FF bodies itself are not that heavy but the lenses are unbearably heavy lugging around whole day.
If Ricoh can release FF without that bulk I am in
I know, right? Those damn Fat Ass Ltd's...
09-12-2014, 01:07 PM   #9
Forum Member

I personally didn't have chance to handle Nikon DSLRs long enough to have an opinion about them, but spec-wise, I'd agree with OP, it looks pretty promising and attractive.
Definitely one-up for Nikon in Enthusiast FF, and other manufacturers should scramble to match the spec.
I'm going to have this camera on my list and hopefully test it out when I can...
09-12-2014, 01:40 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobdobbs Quote
as is the full magnesium body (I can't bring myself to spend $2000+ on a plastic fantastic *cough*D610*cough*).
Half Magnesium + half CF/Plastic
Attached Images

09-12-2014, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Ricoh has all the tech, and the sensor is Sony's anyway. Its as if Pentax/Ricoh just doesn't want to do it. Maybe Canikon are bribing them to stay out of the FF market?
I wouldn't mind, I have a bunch of old primes that are FF compatible. Even most of my DA lenses are FF compatible.
09-12-2014, 02:15 PM - 3 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

Has it come to this... discussions about which competitors full frame Pentax should copy? We are hitting new low points in our desperation here.
09-12-2014, 02:23 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I guess because all the perceived 'empty spaces' Pentax could place a camera are being filled.
This or that tier. FF mirrorless.

:^|

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Has it come to this... ... new low points in our desperation here.
09-12-2014, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Has it come to this... discussions about which competitors full frame Pentax should copy? We are hitting new low points in our desperation here.
I think this was the kind of camera lots of Pentaxians wanted even before Nikon announced theirs. Its just easier to simply point to the Nikon model than to write pages upon pages about what "our dream camera would be." Its just too bad Nikon beat Pentax to the punch!
09-12-2014, 02:39 PM   #15

It is clear that Nikon has readed from PentaxForums what kind of camera they should make. It sad Pentax doesn't listen it's customers