Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
09-17-2014, 02:41 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
It'd help if the K-3 wasn't imprinted on it
This rumour thing requires too much effort.
(Actually the k-3 part was photoshopped too when this image was made. It's a silver k-5)

09-17-2014, 04:00 PM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Actually the 645z is a crop sensor camera.
Crop or not. It packs a lot of pixels. It would have been nice if it was full frame but as it is it would deliver enough pixels for large prints.
09-18-2014, 08:53 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
"In an interview with Photography Blog, Ricoh's European Product Manager Laurence Bouly has confirmed that development of a Pentax full-frame DSLR camera is officially underway. No launch date has yet been set, but she said that the launch itself would be communicated through the usual formal channels, rather than Facebook (as Ricoh France did earlier this week). In addition, the two DFA lens prototypes (high magnification super-telephoto zoom lens and large diameter telephoto zoom lens) on show at Photokina are actually full-frame lenses, rather than APS-C. "

Development of Pentax Full-Frame DSLR is Officially Underway | PhotographyBLOG

It seems to be a level of confirmation above what we had before... or it could be a slightly more leading/sophisticated way of saying the same thing as before, a slight marketing strategy shift

We'll see. They do keep us strung along, don't they?
09-18-2014, 11:20 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
We'll see. They do keep us strung along, don't they?
This news makes me willing to bet (not my 77) that it's coming sooner than later and they could have made more of a splash with it at PK but didn't want to steal any thunder from the K3 and 645Z and they want this to have as big splash in as still a pond as possible..

09-19-2014, 07:52 PM   #50
Banned

I'm not really sure why they decided against a Photokina release. Perhaps todd is right that they didn't want upset 645z or K3 sales...more likely they wanted the dust to settle from all the other manufacturers' announcements at Photokina before announcing their FF. A 'still pond' indeed.

Either way, I agree that this time around the indications look a lot more positive than ever before.

Bring it on
09-19-2014, 08:42 PM - 2 Likes   #51
Veteran Member

Ten - Years - Late.

Oh sorry, I mean Everything is AWESOME!!!
09-19-2014, 08:51 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Ten - Years - Late.

Oh - So - Droll.

Oh sorry, I mean Right on BROTHER!!! AWESOME!!!!

09-19-2014, 09:19 PM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Ten - Years - Late.

I can't take anyone who has those "ima photographer" selfies seriously
09-19-2014, 09:52 PM   #54
Veteran Member

A few points:

1. The two Tele Zooms are FF if the info is correct.
2. I doubt that they'd show those prototypes unless they were very close to release.
3. They will want to release the camera along with or slightly after the lenses.
4. They will want to make as many 645z sales as possible before releasing a FF.
5: I suspect there will be a 24-70 added to the roadmap within 6 months.
09-19-2014, 10:27 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Oh - So - Droll.

Oh sorry, I mean Right on BROTHER!!! AWESOME!!!!
I just have no faith that they'll bring anything but yet another predictable black box that goes ping to an already overwhelmingly crowded market. And even if they released a dozen lenses in 2015 to go along with a FF offering it still means re-investing in all new glass to adopt a system that will be completely untested.
A year or so ago the mantra was being the top dog in APS, and I thought "okay, let's see it." But then here comes the Q, which I still just don't get. The 645 program is a worthy niche endeavor, but costly.
And now they are going to turn 180 and jump into the FF game after the market has a 10 year lead? They will either be crushed or ignored. They couldn't even make the K-01 work as a product and that was a no-brainer for Pentax to pull off.

Pentax management needs a fundamental overhaul; they're chasing their tails. I lost all interest in re-investing $5K+ for a full-frame Pentax kit 2 years ago and won't be investing any more in APS either. I'll shoot what I have until it quits on me or my needs justify a system change.
If that offends the fanboi base, that's unfortunate but not my problem. I started shooting Pentax in 1982, and generally like all the gear I have, but the koolaid just isn't very sweet anymore.

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I can't take anyone who has those "ima photographer" selfies seriously
It's okay, I don't take the opinion of anyone under the age of 30 too seriously.

09-19-2014, 10:29 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes to all the above Steve, except this:
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
4. They will want to make as many 645z sales as possible before releasing a FF.
I would be very surprised if the 645Z and whatever new 36x24 camera might materialise are aimed at the same target group.
09-19-2014, 11:06 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote

I would be very surprised if the 645Z and whatever new 36x24 camera might materialise are aimed at the same target group.
I agree and besides; Ricoh can't meet the current demand for the 645z. Different niche as you said.
09-20-2014, 12:38 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote

That's accepted but after such a delay in the production of a FF I'm pretty sure there would be a number of people considering a 645Z.
09-20-2014, 01:44 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
That's accepted but after such a delay in the production of a FF I'm pretty sure there would be a number of people considering a 645Z.
Most Pentax FF advocates want to use K-mount glass. Moving to 645Z doesn't help much in that regard.
09-20-2014, 02:57 AM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

2015 would be fine, thank you