Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Will you buy a FF Pentax, if one was available?
Yes, if it is a Pentax branded camera. 7918.20%
Yes, if it is a Pentax and/or Ricoh branded camera. 10023.04%
Yes, if it had the sort of specs you mention. 6013.82%
Yes, but only if it's priced no higher than, for instance, the D750. 5713.13%
No, I've bought a FF made by a different supplier. 173.92%
No, I don't need or want FF. 8319.12%
No - I would like to, but I cannot afford to buy a new camera. 276.22%
Yes, but only if it's available in forty-seven color combinations. 112.53%
Voters: 434. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2014, 03:22 AM   #166
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
there are some DA tested on FF here :
RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Compatibility of DA Lenses on Full Frame
I'm hoping to see Pentax FF real soon, like... tomorrow

11-12-2014, 03:33 AM   #167
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
there are some DA tested on FF here :
RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Compatibility of DA Lenses on Full Frame
I'm hoping to see Pentax FF real soon, like... tomorrow
Just FYI - Here's something similar from PF ... https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31629-da-le...ts-thread.html
11-12-2014, 03:39 AM   #168
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Just FYI - Here's something similar from PF ... DA lens on Full Frame: Test Shots thread
Merci beaucoup it's very useful the day Pentax releases FF so excited !
11-12-2014, 03:57 AM   #169
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would not buy a full frame, I decided to go for Pentax even because I didn't need a FF.
To be honest, I understand that for some professionals it is quite necessary for the wider angle, but for amateurs I don't find it something so important. Just my opinion.

11-12-2014, 04:58 AM   #170
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure if I would or not. I would definitely want a FF but I doubt I really need FF. But there is no maybe option on the poll so I won't vote.
11-12-2014, 05:11 AM   #171
Veteran Member

I would hope it would be less expensive than the d750.....It feels inevitable actuall...and I would definitely by one....for me it would all come down to when I could afford it.....but It feels like that would be the final upgrade in body... I would ever need.....
11-12-2014, 12:46 PM   #172
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by phoenixvision Quote
I would hope it would be less expensive than the d750......
Pentax have 0 market at FF DSLRs so my guess is ( and might be some kind of clever to do ) they will have a reasonable price to compete and have some advantage over the D750 .. so im thinking something around the $2000 +/- it will be really smart for them to grow their FF market as fast as they can ( at least at the begining ) to catch up the market that they let go several years ago..... so their cameras will be really attractive in price and features. If they do something expensive their market will grow slowly, and i think that for a new product that's not really smart to do.

11-12-2014, 04:18 PM   #173
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
If they do something expensive their market will grow slowly, and i think that for a new product that's not really smart to do.
I agree. Things are moving so quickly with tech. FF is no longer pro realm alone, as it was only a few years ago, thanks to cameras like the 6D, D600/610, and all the Sony A7 series, in particular the A7r. So pricing a Pentax FF as if FF was still something elite and exotic would be a mistake.

FF is still worth paying a premium for over APS-C, but only a moderate premium (depending on the camera features). On this last point about features, it's interesting that Canon has been selling the APS-C 7DII at a higher price new than they are selling the FF 6D. Being FF alone isn't enough anymore to justify a higher price for a camera.

Last edited by rawr; 11-12-2014 at 04:30 PM.
11-12-2014, 05:35 PM   #174
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I voted yes. I have a lot of manual focus lenses and it is much easier for me to use them with with a full frame viewfinder. i can see a big difference when using them on my film cameras verses my K5/K5-IIs.
11-12-2014, 05:41 PM   #175
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Being FF alone isn't enough anymore to justify a higher price for a camera.
I totally agree with that... i think that if Ricoh give us something the same as the K3 but with FF.. the price the most should be something like $1500/$1600 .. +/- .. if they give us FF + more features we can be talking about $2000. But higher than that i think is a risk for the first FF.

Actually something with the K3 features but with a FF sensor will be really really attractive to keep existing users and to bring new... specially if the price isnt higher than $1600
11-12-2014, 05:53 PM   #176
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
I totally agree with that... i think that if Ricoh give us something the same as the K3 but with FF.. the price the most should be something like $1500/$1600 .. +/- .. if they give us FF + more features we can be talking about $2000. But higher than that i think is a risk for the first FF.
I agree that Pentax shouldn't go much above $2,000, but it will be around that price.

Your K3 features + FF = $1,500 calculation might seem logical at first, but it really isn't. Have a look at the Canon 6D - it offers FF, but is a seriously castrated camera compared to the 5D Mark III. It has only 20 MP, a laughable 11-point AF system with only one cross-type sensor, a low burst rate, the build quality is pretty low for a FF camera by all accounts ... And still it retails at $1,900 on Amazon. Do you really expect a FF camera with the features of the K3 to be cheaper?

Pentax is developing this FF camera almost from scratch, at the same time they won't ship it with the DA L 18-55 WR, they will have to offer a FF kit lens. Obviously they need to keep the price competitive, but they also need to make a profit after having spent a lot of money on realising this thing. So don't expect something around $1,500 - it's not gonna happen.
11-12-2014, 06:04 PM   #177
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
So don't expect something around $1,500 - it's not gonna happen.
I dont. i expect something more like a $2000 body. With Canon lets not forget that their prices are just out of mind.. they are selling the 7D mk2 at around $1800 wich is totally our of proportion for what they are offering. :/ .. One thing that i saw when i got my first Pentax is that i was able to get the best features for the best price.. i think that they will keep that, having great prices and still having great features, so.. $2000 is a good price.
11-12-2014, 06:10 PM   #178
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
So don't expect something around $1,500 - it's not gonna happen.
In Nikon terms, I think a D750 level price is more likely the baseline price for a Pentax FF (depending on which features they throw into the camera). D750 is not cheap, but it has a nice feature set and isn't super-premium pricing either.

They could try D810 pricing too, depending on their camera specs. But running head-to-head with the D810 on price will also mean matching it on features, so they will need to have a very strong product if they do that.
11-12-2014, 06:16 PM   #179
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
In Nikon terms, I think a D750 level price is more likely the baseline price for a Pentax FF (depending on which features they throw into the camera). D750 is not cheap, but it has a nice feature set and isn't super-premium pricing either.
That's what I expect too. I doubt they will go all over the top and try to match the D810, the price would just be too high for a lot of Pentaxians looking to upgrade. At the same time they will hardly throw out something as inferior as a 6D - a new FF would have to offer at least the feature set of the K3, most likely even more. Do the maths and you get a capable, solid FF DSLR that is affordable enough for hobbyists but good enough to attract pros too.
11-12-2014, 07:33 PM   #180
Veteran Member

D810 is at $3300 +/- and D750 is at $2300 .. i really dont think that they will trhrow a D810 / 5Dmk3 price for the first FF.. and is because Ricoh will need to grow their FF market as fast and strong as they can. .. Perhaps for a 2nd or 3rd FF the $3000+ price could work, but for the first one i really dont think so
Closed Thread