Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Will you buy a FF Pentax, if one was available?
Yes, if it is a Pentax branded camera. 7918.20%
Yes, if it is a Pentax and/or Ricoh branded camera. 10023.04%
Yes, if it had the sort of specs you mention. 6013.82%
Yes, but only if it's priced no higher than, for instance, the D750. 5713.13%
No, I've bought a FF made by a different supplier. 173.92%
No, I don't need or want FF. 8319.12%
No - I would like to, but I cannot afford to buy a new camera. 276.22%
Yes, but only if it's available in forty-seven color combinations. 112.53%
Voters: 434. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2014, 05:12 PM   #196
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
The only quibble I have with the specs in built in wi-fi or gps. That means plastic. Thanks but no thanks. Other than that I'm all for it.
Well... actually it only means plastic for the area where the antennas are... the flash hump is a good candidate...

11-20-2014, 03:29 AM   #197
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Well... actually it only means plastic for the area where the antennas are... the flash hump is a good candidate...
I suppose they could mount the wifi antennae around the LCD screen. (Or even under)
11-20-2014, 03:58 AM   #198
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I suppose they could mount the wifi antennae around the LCD screen. (Or even under)
Maybe.
As far as the gps is concerned, you want to have them somewhere with an unobstructed view of the sky.
IIRC, the D750 is one such cameras, with magnesium alloy body and the gps antenna up top.
11-20-2014, 12:22 PM   #199
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Maybe.
As far as the gps is concerned, you want to have them somewhere with an unobstructed view of the sky.
IIRC, the D750 is one such cameras, with magnesium alloy body and the gps antenna up top.
True, for GPS. Mind you, my phone's GPS works no matter which side's pointing up! And, in a tiny package too.

11-20-2014, 04:03 PM   #200
Veteran Member

True, for GPS. Mind you, my phone's GPS works no matter which side's pointing up! And, in a tiny package too.
That's ok, phone's gps chips are built to work mostly in assisted mode... it can be a real pain getting a cellphone to work as a GPS without a network connection, but I believe this doesn't apply to cameras..? never tried a camera with GPS now that you make me think of it.
When I want to geotag pictures I simply make a route with my cellphone and the use the PC to tag the pictures based on the timestamps...
11-20-2014, 04:31 PM   #201
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
That's ok, phone's gps chips are built to work mostly in assisted mode... it can be a real pain getting a cellphone to work as a GPS without a network connection, but I believe this doesn't apply to cameras..? never tried a camera with GPS now that you make me think of it.
When I want to geotag pictures I simply make a route with my cellphone and the use the PC to tag the pictures based on the timestamps...
Yes, good idea, re using your phone. Interesting, my old phone, took forever to "find" the satellites, while the new one locks on virtually instantly.
11-20-2014, 07:27 PM   #202
Veteran Member

while the new one locks on virtually instantly.
A lot of the phones use A-GPS, which partly uses the mobile phone system to help out with GPS. Maybe your mobile provider tuned that up a bit.

A lot of newer mobile chipsets also use Glonass satellites plus GPS for geolocation, which can often speed up the acquisition of a satellite fix.

11-20-2014, 08:27 PM   #203
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
A lot of the phones use A-GPS, which partly uses the mobile phone system to help out with GPS. Maybe your mobile provider tuned that up a bit.

A lot of newer mobile chipsets also use Glonass satellites plus GPS for geolocation, which can often speed up the acquisition of a satellite fix.
I have my phone set to data off and use pre-downloaded maps, all to avoid unnecessary data charges. So, how it works, I don't know, but acquisition is nearly instant. I suspect I'll have to read up about it more.
11-21-2014, 01:04 AM   #204
Veteran Member

but acquisition is nearly instant
GCSB must be taking an interest in you
11-21-2014, 02:46 AM   #205
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
GCSB must be taking an interest in you
I'm sworn to secrecy 😁
11-21-2014, 09:09 AM   #206
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
As i said, IMO for the first FF Pentax should not pass the $2000 ( including top features ) so the camera will be VERY VERY VERYYY attractive
I suspect Pentax would lose too much money if they offered FF at that price point. There are obviously Pentaxians so besotted with FF that they would pay more for Pentax FF than $2,000. Why shouldn't Pentax take advantage of that? They may have to in order to avoid big losses. I see Pentax FF having an MRSP of $2,500+. Think of the price as an early adapter tax. Over time, the price will fall to the low 2,000s. Maybe we'll see close-out prices under $2,000.

I have no great desire for an FF camera, as I believe the advantages of FF have tended to by over-played and exaggerated by the FF crowd. In any case, I'm far more into lenses than cameras; and APS-C cameras are right now a better fit for the lenses I currently have. If, however, my financial situation were to dramatically improve I might consider the option of getting an FF camera, but only if Pentax produced the sort of glass that fits my own shooting style. Actually, all I would need would be a high-end slow standard zoom, something like the Canon 24-105 f4 L. I have serious doubts as to whether Pentax will ever make such a lens. They won't have a large enough user-base to justify producing a lens of that type. Short of such a lens (or DFA limited zoom glass), FF would not fit my needs, even if I could afford it. I have no interest in dragging around big, heavy f2.8 standard FF zooms.
11-21-2014, 12:37 PM   #207
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
They won't have a large enough user-base to justify producing a lens of that type.
That is exactly the point.. one of the fist things that a company have to do when they release a new product is to grow the market, especially in a market that the actual share is one of the smallest compared to others, so to most of the "mortals" one of the fist things that we take in count when buying a product is.. PRICE.. can i get a better camera for a better price??? because if is not like this why should somebody will buy a system that have not that many options to grow??

Take the example of the Sony A7 .. many people is moving or at least taking in count the Sony A7 products because the price is really really attractive ( $1600 for a FF camera), and that will grow a base of consumers with the past of time, so when they release a new lense people will be expecting this lens, or body, or grip, or what ever comes later.. but Pentax wont do nothing at all if they release a camera that is not attractive in price.. IMO price will play a big roll in all this, perhaps the company is not going get big profit at the begining but that is not only what matters, behind that are new lenses coming, accesories and lets not forget reputation in the market that will reflect in sales all over the camera range.

Sony just showed us that we can get a FF for razonable price..
11-22-2014, 02:24 AM   #208

Just from my own personal observations, I think Pentax will come out with a full frame camera for under $1500. Looking at their past adaptations of sensors I see a pattern of Pentax being late to using the most advanced sensors. Of course except the 645Z. But Please keep in mind this is not a negative it's actually something I really enjoy about Pentax they would rather make a solid built camera and use a fairly new sensor and cut costs there. For example the Sony APS-C 24mp sensor, it has already been used extensively in the Sony a65/a77, Nikon d5200, d7100 and all those cameras have been released quite before the K3. But the K3 is still considered Pentax's flagship camera body for APS-C . Same could be said of Sony 16mp still found in the K5iis but not currently found in any other companies cameras on the market (sorry except Leica's T cameras).

Pentax will once again follow that strategy and use the Sony full frame 24mp already found in the Nikon d600/610 and Sony a99 and A7 cameras. Being late to adopting that sensor Pentax will be able to sale the camera to us at a discount. I'm all for it if it comes with Pentax's built quality. So I'm definitely quite excited with Pentax full frame announcement .
11-22-2014, 03:40 AM   #209
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ttran88 Quote
Just from my own personal observations, I think Pentax will come out with a full frame camera for under $1500. Looking at their past adaptations of sensors I see a pattern of Pentax being late to using the most advanced sensors. Of course except the 645Z. But Please keep in mind this is not a negative it's actually something I really enjoy about Pentax they would rather make a solid built camera and use a fairly new sensor and cut costs there. For example the Sony APS-C 24mp sensor, it has already been used extensively in the Sony a65/a77, Nikon d5200, d7100 and all those cameras have been released quite before the K3. But the K3 is still considered Pentax's flagship camera body for APS-C . Same could be said of Sony 16mp still found in the K5iis but not currently found in any other companies cameras on the market (sorry except Leica's T cameras).

Pentax will once again follow that strategy and use the Sony full frame 24mp already found in the Nikon d600/610 and Sony a99 and A7 cameras. Being late to adopting that sensor Pentax will be able to sale the camera to us at a discount. I'm all for it if it comes with Pentax's built quality. So I'm definitely quite excited with Pentax full frame announcement .
Not only that, it will probably be able to squeeze the last drop of performance out of it, as it's known for doing.
11-30-2014, 08:59 PM   #210
Veteran Member

Yes...Yes....Yes.....and Yes !
That would look mighty nice with all my Legacy Ricoh lenses too !
The K30 and K3 would leave my house with a giant sucking sound....lol.
Be all over it like white on rice !
Closed Thread