Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Will you buy a FF Pentax, if one was available?
Yes, if it is a Pentax branded camera. 7918.20%
Yes, if it is a Pentax and/or Ricoh branded camera. 10023.04%
Yes, if it had the sort of specs you mention. 6013.82%
Yes, but only if it's priced no higher than, for instance, the D750. 5713.13%
No, I've bought a FF made by a different supplier. 173.92%
No, I don't need or want FF. 8319.12%
No - I would like to, but I cannot afford to buy a new camera. 276.22%
Yes, but only if it's available in forty-seven color combinations. 112.53%
Voters: 434. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
12-29-2014, 01:39 PM   #211
Pentaxian

5 years ago I would have bought 500 FF Pentax cameras, today I am intersted in one, not unlikely to sell my Pentax gear and buy some oversized Nikon or Canon.

12-31-2014, 03:08 PM   #212
Pentaxian

I'm not sure anymore. A few years ago, I would of gone for a FF Pentax. But I'm pretty happy with my K-5. I've got a total of three Pentax ASP-C bodies and 11 digital lenses, most of which are ASP-C and not suitable for a full frame.

I'm an older fellow, so think at this point in my life will keep what I have. If it's all stolen, or most of it breaks down and is too expensive to fix....then I might consider full frame. If not, I may just hope that what I have will last the rest of my lifetime.

If for some reason I had to buy a new system....I might go Nikon. I really like both the Full Frame...dF and D750 models. If Pentax had a full frame DSLR and a suitable lineup of new FF lenses...I might go Pentax.

Wouldn't go Canon.
01-04-2015, 04:16 PM   #213
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Weather sealed as usual.
I think anywhere between 16 to 21MP would be a good range.
A Vari-angle tilt screen would be nice.
Duel memory card slots would be a plus.
Wifi
A native ISO range of 50 to 6400 (expandable to 25,600, mainly because I don't think that many people go higher than that, though I could be wrong).
Leave out video.
01-05-2015, 04:37 AM   #214
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
X
Weather sealing and dual SD card slots are self-evident, 16-21 MP probably not enough. Most competitor FFs are 24 or 36, the K3 delivers great image quality with a 24 MP APS-C sensor, so there is no reason why a possible Pentax FF shouldn't sport 24 MP too.

I consider Video to be not very important too, but reviewers will go all crazy if it's left out and there are enough people who care about it to make leaving it out a very bad move.

01-05-2015, 10:53 AM   #215
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I consider Video to be not very important too, but reviewers will go all crazy if it's left out and there are enough people who care about it to make leaving it out a very bad move.
Yep, regardless of whether it is wanted or needed, leaving it out would be suicide for the model. Reviewers would trash it and no one would ever notice any of the good features, only that it was so antiquated it had no video.
01-05-2015, 11:55 AM   #216
Pentaxian

Up until 2008 DSLR's did not offer video (until Nikon's D90), and everyone who had a DSLR at that time without video did just fine.
I would say "they could have two models (like the k5/k5ii), one with video and one without" but I'd don't think they'd that, I think it would cost to much to do rework the sensor/hardware to have one without video.

Last edited by disconnekt; 01-05-2015 at 12:02 PM.
01-05-2015, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #217
Veteran Member

Up until 2008 DSLR's did not offer video (until Nikon's D90), and everyone who had a DSLR at that time without video did just fine.
Up until the late 1970s cameras did not offer autofocus, and everyone did just fine. Up until about 1300 BC people didn't even use iron, and everyone did just fine using bronze

01-05-2015, 02:18 PM   #218
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would say "they could have two models (like the k5/k5ii), one with video and one without" but I'd don't think they'd that, I think it would cost to much to do rework the sensor/hardware to have one without video.
If they did do that I bet the hardware would be identical and the video feature would just be turned off on the non-video one. But I agree that sounds unlikely.
01-05-2015, 05:25 PM   #219
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
If they did do that I bet the hardware would be identical and the video feature would just be turned off on the non-video one. But I agree that sounds unlikely.
If I'm not mistaken on my K-3 I can choose to turn video off myself - or rather I must choose to turn it on.
01-05-2015, 05:37 PM   #220
mee
Veteran Member

I don't fall into any of the polling options.

I'd love to buy a digital K mount FF body if it is 1200 USD or less and the lenses are only 0-30% more than their DA counterparts. I'm not looking to double or triple cost involved to get FF. Right now, if I sold all my APS-C gear I could get a D610 body and kit lens... and that is all. The cost for a recent FF system is currently enormous over similarly aged APS-C systems.
01-05-2015, 05:42 PM   #221
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I don't fall into any of the polling options.

I'd love to buy a digital K mount FF body if it is 1200 USD or less and the lenses are only 0-30% more than their DA counterparts. I'm not looking to double or triple cost involved to get FF. Right now, if I sold all my APS-C gear I could get a D610 body and kit lens... and that is all. The cost for a recent FF system is currently enormous over similarly aged APS-C systems.
I'd see it being priced around 1800 to 2k. FF lens wise I agree, they'd be priced a bit more than their current lens lineup but not that much.
01-05-2015, 06:40 PM   #222
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd see it being priced around 1800 to 2k. FF lens wise I agree, they'd be priced a bit more than their current lens lineup but not that much.
I think the body will be in the $2,500 range at introduction though will drop reasonably quickly, that's based on past releases. They definitely like to start high and let the market dictate the street price.

Lenses, well Asahiman already stated the new FF 'previewed' zooms will be over $2,000. He has generally been quite reliable as a source. So it seems Ricoh is placing FF at the high end of the price range going against D810 and high end glass. I guess we have to wait to see how that plays out.

The missing lens would be a 24-70 f/2.8 and the Nikon and Canon ones run over $1,800 so I don't see Ricoh coming out with anything much below that.

I suspect the FF crowd is going to get their dearest wish, a top notch FF camera with great glass. And a super premium price.
01-06-2015, 03:25 AM   #223
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If I'm not mistaken on my K-3 I can choose to turn video off myself - or rather I must choose to turn it on.
The point was rather not to include video in order to lower the price/keep the price the same and add photo-oriented features.
That's how I understood it, at any rate...
01-06-2015, 04:14 AM   #224
Pentaxian

Except that it doesn't work that way. Removing "required" features can make a product niche, thus increasing its end price - see the Nikon Df, is it cheaper?
And if the hardware (i.e. production cost) is identical... where's the gain?
01-06-2015, 07:48 AM   #225
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
The point was rather not to include video in order to lower the price/keep the price the same and add photo-oriented features.
That's how I understood it, at any rate...
'Removing' an electronic feature already developed makes both cameras more expensive.
Closed Thread