Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Will you buy a FF Pentax, if one was available?
Yes, if it is a Pentax branded camera. 7918.20%
Yes, if it is a Pentax and/or Ricoh branded camera. 10023.04%
Yes, if it had the sort of specs you mention. 6013.82%
Yes, but only if it's priced no higher than, for instance, the D750. 5713.13%
No, I've bought a FF made by a different supplier. 173.92%
No, I don't need or want FF. 8319.12%
No - I would like to, but I cannot afford to buy a new camera. 276.22%
Yes, but only if it's available in forty-seven color combinations. 112.53%
Voters: 434. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2015, 08:27 AM   #226
Pentaxian

Removing an already developed and sought after feature from the top of the line model is nothing else but stupid.

01-06-2015, 11:55 AM   #227
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
'Removing' an electronic feature already developed makes both cameras more expensive.
I concur, that's not what I'd be doing if I were the "Boss of Ricoh"...
I'd develop a high-end camera, let's say a K-3II, and then I'd spend some R&D money in order to create a K-3IIV with advanced video functions.
01-06-2015, 12:20 PM   #228
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
advanced video functions
It's the peripherals that matter - Image/Audio Processor, stereo mic-in, HDMI-out, Audio Monitor out, real-time remote playout;

then Buffer capacity, hardware IBIS, CODEC's;

then Cine lenses and/or adapters.

You have to pay for the peripherals. The software stuff is simply coded into FW and ROM's and either used or not used by the specific model. Not using it doesn't cost anything.
01-06-2015, 01:50 PM   #229
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It's the peripherals that matter - Image/Audio Processor, stereo mic-in, HDMI-out, Audio Monitor out, real-time remote playout;

then Buffer capacity, hardware IBIS, CODEC's;

then Cine lenses and/or adapters.

You have to pay for the peripherals. The software stuff is simply coded into FW and ROM's and either used or not used by the specific model. Not using it doesn't cost anything.
Well, I never said "software", did I?
And no, mic-in/monitor-out are not a priority (nor a necessity) in my opinion.
True (not only during playback)HDMI-out, on the other hand, is...
Cine lenses in K mount are already there, a full lineup.

01-06-2015, 04:51 PM - 2 Likes   #230
Site Supporter

Original Poster
With the number of members who have voted, we can now get some results with a reasonable margin of error.

Here's the graph, as it currently stands, with 386 votes:

---------- Post added 01-07-15 at 01:12 PM ----------

Using polling calculations, we can calculate, to different levels of certainty, how these results would stack up as to Pentax Forum Members as a whole. Interesting, those of you who may have followed my earlier posts on the topic, will see that the percentage of members who would like a Pentax / Ricoh FF has hovered around 70-72% for the whole time the poll has been open.

So, allowing for a variety of factors common in polling calculations, we can say with 99% certainty that:

A minimum of 7% of members, around 4,800 members, would buy a Pentax FF camera if it was branded as a Pentax camera.
A minimum of 13% of members, around 8,300 members, would buy a Pentax FF camera if it was a Pentax or Ricoh branded camera.
Pricing and specifications caused less people to vote. But, if the camera has the sort of specifications I mention, that would entice a minimum of 4% of members, around 2,900 members to buy.
If the camera has a price no higher than the D750 that would entice minimum of 5% of members, around 3,200 members to buy.

Up to 9% of members, some 5,900 have already bought a FF camera made by a different manufacturer.
Up to 29% of members do not need or want a FF camera, potentially up to 19,000 members.
Up to 13% of members would like a FF camera, but feel that they could not afford another camera. This is around 8,400 people.

The likely total number of members who would like a Pentax / Ricoh FF camera, with 99% certainty is 39,000 members and if the camera was reasonably affordable, this figure would rise to around 44,000 members. Between 59 and 66% therefore.
Up to 41% of members will not buy a FF camera.

Interestingly, another poll on PF Forums, with only 132 votes, arrived at the raw data figure of 58.3% members would like a FF camera. See https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/169-pentax-full-frame/222354-would-you-bu...nded-poll.html

I have deliberately not used fractions to keep it simple. It makes no sense, in my book, to use figures like 58.825% (the actual calculated figure) or 39,029 (the actual calculated figure) rather than the simpler 59% and 39,000 when we're working with approximated figures anyway. These figures can be improved, in terms of accuracy, by having a larger sample size. I'd like to keep this running up to 400, or even 500 members, but I think I may ask a moderator to shut the poll before too long, as the arrival of a FF camera may well overtake the polling! (I hope!)

---------- Post added 01-07-15 at 01:17 PM ----------

Ha! In the time it's taken to post my previous post, one more member has voted. The change in number is statistically insignificant, so the figures as above stills stands. If we get to 400 members voting, that will be a step change in the calculations, so please keep those votes rolling in! Everyone can, of course, vote only once, so hopefully, this will allow for reasonably accurate results. No calculations have been carried out to allow for general population sampling. This is very much a poll assuming that members of PF Forums actually have an interest in Pentax products. Not an unreasonable assumption, I hope!
Attached Images

Last edited by MarkJerling; 01-06-2015 at 05:13 PM.
02-17-2016, 07:10 PM   #231
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So, confirmed specs of the K-1:
36.2MP full-frame CMOS sensor with no anti-aliasing filter
5-axis image stabilization rated to 5 stops by CIPA standard testing
100% pentaprism viewfinder with 0.7x magnification
33-point AF system (25 cross-type)
Extensive weather-sealing
1/200 sec flash sync speed
14-bit Raw recording (DNG or PEF)
AA filter simulation
Multi-shot Pixel Shift Resolution mode
Built-in GPS with electro-magnetic compass and Astrotracer function
4.4 fps continuous shooting (6.5 fps in APS-C crop mode)
Wi-Fi
1080/30p video
02-18-2016, 04:06 AM   #232
Site Supporter

The price point for the initial launch is quite interesting, too. A pleasant surprise (for me) and well positioned in respect to the competition IMHO.
02-18-2016, 06:27 AM   #233
Veteran Member

The poll (unsurprisingly) didn't have quite the option I wanted. (But I voted "yes, if the spec is as suggested").

I pre-ordered the K-1 about 12 hours ago! (Along with the battery grip and the new lenses).

02-18-2016, 01:16 PM   #234
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
The poll (unsurprisingly) didn't have quite the option I wanted. (But I voted "yes, if the spec is as suggested").

I pre-ordered the K-1 about 12 hours ago! (Along with the battery grip and the new lenses).
Nice one Barry! I have to save a bit first, but the price entry point is good news for Pentax, I think!
Closed Thread