Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Will you buy a FF Pentax, if one was available?
Yes, if it is a Pentax branded camera. 7918.20%
Yes, if it is a Pentax and/or Ricoh branded camera. 10023.04%
Yes, if it had the sort of specs you mention. 6013.82%
Yes, but only if it's priced no higher than, for instance, the D750. 5713.13%
No, I've bought a FF made by a different supplier. 173.92%
No, I don't need or want FF. 8319.12%
No - I would like to, but I cannot afford to buy a new camera. 276.22%
Yes, but only if it's available in forty-seven color combinations. 112.53%
Voters: 434. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2014, 07:21 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Robert_1 Quote
Nam me pentaxo delenda est. Nikon est.
My compliments.

Loosely translated, I could mean 'Pentax is Not Doomed,' but Pentax must not be destroyed will do.

09-16-2014, 07:26 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Mark, how about a Pentax FF more or less the same as K-3 (of course, including the inherent bigger viewfinder)?
09-16-2014, 07:26 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Needs SR
09-16-2014, 07:51 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I think you've got too many choices in this poll.... Either people would buy it or they wouldn't, so i'm not sure why we have 4 choices of each answer...

Anyways, I voted yes and I would buy one so long as the price was reasonable.... I would most likely wait for a price drop / black friday deal or one of Adorama's crazy random bundle deals, but i'm sure that if Pentax released an FF camera, I would have to pick one up at some point

09-16-2014, 08:00 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm in
09-16-2014, 08:09 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by gmans Quote
When the unicorn appears, there will be magic all around and all the beasts of the earth will gather in awe of the unicorn. It would be nice to have Penatx branded on its rump.
Ricoh will be on it's rump. Pentax on it's forehead...

EDIT: Will the horn be a FF horn? Of course! Maybe Pentax ON the horn. Like the front of the prism...

---------- Post added 09-16-2014 at 09:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My compliments.

Loosely translated, I could mean 'Pentax is Not Doomed,' but Pentax must not be destroyed will do.
Google Xlate:

For Pentax must destroy me. Nikon is .

Maybe:

"Pentax will be the death of me. Nikon is [negate] > 'will not'" ?

Last edited by noser; 09-16-2014 at 08:14 PM.
09-16-2014, 08:16 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Voted #1 even when I already have A7 for my Pentax lenses and others.

The listed specs don't interest me much though.
I only need :
1. A viewfinder for better stability and composition clarity (EVF or OVF is fine)
2. AF for K-mount AF lenses
3. The same good interface so far seen on Pentax cameras
4. About K5, K3 size at most.

Other stuff will be good as differentiation from the market offerings, but for my uses, I don't need them much, esp if it adds to cost.
I doubt they'll be able to get a FF down to K-3 or K-5 size.

---------- Post added 09-17-14 at 03:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by shaX 07 Quote
I think you've got too many choices in this poll.... Either people would buy it or they wouldn't, so i'm not sure why we have 4 choices of each answer...

Anyways, I voted yes and I would buy one so long as the price was reasonable.... I would most likely wait for a price drop / black friday deal or one of Adorama's crazy random bundle deals, but i'm sure that if Pentax released an FF camera, I would have to pick one up at some point
The reasoning behind the choices is to see who would only buy if it's branded Pentax, and, of course, price point.

---------- Post added 09-17-14 at 03:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Mark, how about a Pentax FF more or less the same as K-3 (of course, including the inherent bigger viewfinder)?
Good point. I should have thought of that.
09-16-2014, 08:22 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

I did not vote. Pentax, rather Ricoh essentially said nothing more that what they had stated in previous interviews. Nothing to see here. I'll evaluate the situation when there is actually something of actual substance to consider. Until then, I just go out and take some pictures with what I have. It's real and tangible - not vapor.

09-16-2014, 09:09 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I voted 2 but would rather vote 3
09-16-2014, 09:37 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Voted #1 even when I already have A7 for my Pentax lenses and others.

The listed specs don't interest me much though.
I only need :
1. A viewfinder for better stability and composition clarity (EVF or OVF is fine)
2. AF for K-mount AF lenses
3. The same good interface so far seen on Pentax cameras
4. About K5, K3 size at most.

Other stuff will be good as differentiation from the market offerings, but for my uses, I don't need them much, esp if it adds to cost.
I agree with your points. I'm only looking at it from the perspective of what most people would probably want, based upon the many comments on these pages.
I think size would have to climb to more than the K-5 or K-3. If the size was similar to my old SFXn, I certainly would not complain!

---------- Post added 09-17-14 at 04:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I did not vote. Pentax, rather Ricoh essentially said nothing more that what they had stated in previous interviews. Nothing to see here. I'll evaluate the situation when there is actually something of actual substance to consider. Until then, I just go out and take some pictures with what I have. It's real and tangible - not vapor.

Well, I can assure you, they do have a FF department - they are spending money on it, the only issue is: Can it be brought to market at a price point that will give them the right number of buyers?

---------- Post added 09-17-14 at 04:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
I voted 2 but would rather vote 3
Sorry, I have no way to change it.

---------- Post added 09-17-14 at 04:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
Needs SR
True, I think that's a given.

---------- Post added 09-17-14 at 04:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
I'm in
Good one!

---------- Post added 09-17-14 at 04:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by foto guy Quote
I'd just as soon mine had 1,2, 3, and 11 on your list (and NO video), and priced below $1600. More unnecessary features (to me) just means more ways to break. By all means, have a version with all the bells and whistles for those who want it, but give us minimalists what we want.
I think we'll find more buyers with a few more of the features I mention. But, having said that, I think there would be merit to have a simpler version too. One reason why I think touch-screen is a good idea, is because we could do away with a lot of hardware buttons and dials, and that makes the camera easier to weatherproof. Another advantage of more controls off a touch screen interface is that we could see a real first - A camera that allows left-handed people more customisation as to the control interface.

---------- Post added 09-17-14 at 05:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by shaX 07 Quote

So long as the price is right is a fair answer. Interestingly, price does not seem to be the main thing for many people who have answered. I know, for me, price would certainly be an issue.
09-16-2014, 11:43 PM   #26

It does not matter which brand it is. All that matters is it a k-mount camera.
09-17-2014, 12:07 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Also, we're so used to touch screens with everything else, that it makes sense - plus, with touch-screen we can get rid of many of the mechanical controls and buttons - all areas that need to be weathersealed
Getting rid of dedicated mechanical buttons for touchscreen? No better way to make sure I will never buy the camera...

---------- Post added 2014-09-17 at 16:10 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jyrkira Quote
It does not matter which brand it is. All that matters is it a k-mount camera.
Seconded
09-17-2014, 12:10 AM   #28
Pentaxian

As long as it does not have a touch screen, enough of an upgrade over my K-01, and is not over say 2k then I would be in!
09-17-2014, 12:13 AM   #29
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
Needs SR
I have to agree. I think making an FF DSLR the same size as a K-3 would involve too many compromises, like loosing SR. If it's sized somewhere between the K-3 and the K-20D it will be fine.
09-17-2014, 04:02 AM   #30
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wullemaha Quote
Getting rid of dedicated mechanical buttons for touchscreen? No better way to make sure I will never buy the camera...

---------- Post added 2014-09-17 at 16:10 ----------

Seconded
As I noted earlier, this poll is not really about the specs, more about the different things that may drive members to want a FF camera or not. The specs are just my take, dragging together some different ideas often discussed on this and other forums.

---------- Post added 09-17-14 at 11:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by hoopsontoast Quote
As long as it does not have a touch screen, enough of an upgrade over my K-01, and is not over say 2k then I would be in!
Yes, not too far beyond $2k would be a nice touch!

Last edited by MarkJerling; 09-17-2014 at 04:09 AM.
Closed Thread