Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Will you buy a FF Pentax, if one was available?
Yes, if it is a Pentax branded camera. 7918.20%
Yes, if it is a Pentax and/or Ricoh branded camera. 10023.04%
Yes, if it had the sort of specs you mention. 6013.82%
Yes, but only if it's priced no higher than, for instance, the D750. 5713.13%
No, I've bought a FF made by a different supplier. 173.92%
No, I don't need or want FF. 8319.12%
No - I would like to, but I cannot afford to buy a new camera. 276.22%
Yes, but only if it's available in forty-seven color combinations. 112.53%
Voters: 434. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2014, 04:03 PM   #91
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Mark, I don't want to rain on your parade here but come on, 77% of PF members would buy a FF? We know the entire market for FF is less than 10%, some sources say less than 5%. Let's say that PF is a rabid hot bed of FF enthusiasts and double that to 20%. And I think that's reaching.

Your interpretation of the results is a bit optimistic, IMHO. I see no reason for members of this forum to be any more or less interested in FF than the general population of camera buyers. Which have voted with their money in the marketplace. In fact despite all the posts about FF, I would expect this forum to be LESS interested in a FF camera than the general population because anyone who genuinely needed a FF has already changed brands. Leaving only the portion of the FF crowd that want one instead of need one.
I'm going to side more toward the numbers being skewed. perhaps, as we debate "realism", it might be more realistic to note that there are 2400 view for this thread and out of those views x number voted "yes"? that would actually get us closer to the 10% number. There was also no "undecided" option, nor was there a time frame specified.

If 77% of all PF members DID want a FF, then Ricoh is sitting on an untapped goldmine. However, I think their multi million dollar marketing machine would have already figured that out and we'd have a FF by now.

09-25-2014, 04:47 PM   #92
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Yes, if it is K-mount, has an attractive feature set and is priced competitively.
I don't care whose name is on the camera.
Yes! Thanks for voting.

---------- Post added 09-26-14 at 11:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by iCrop Quote
Eh, why not. I don't have enough Pentaxs...
LOL! You have an impressive list there already!

---------- Post added 09-26-14 at 11:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
I'm going to side more toward the numbers being skewed. perhaps, as we debate "realism", it might be more realistic to note that there are 2400 view for this thread and out of those views x number voted "yes"? that would actually get us closer to the 10% number. There was also no "undecided" option, nor was there a time frame specified.

If 77% of all PF members DID want a FF, then Ricoh is sitting on an untapped goldmine. However, I think their multi million dollar marketing machine would have already figured that out and we'd have a FF by now.
Yes, as noted, I have not completed all the maths to make this as realistic as possible. However, based on the large number of people who moans about the lack of a FF Pentax, maybe we're not that far below the 70% Based on the statisitca analysis, total number of members who would like FF is sitting at about 64%, but is likely to track lower as I carry out more polling maths!
09-25-2014, 04:59 PM   #93
Veteran Member

I might consider it depending on the size of it.. The K-5/ K-3 is about as large as I want to go at this point with a camera body.
I have all FA limited lenses and quite a few FF lenses that would be a perfect companion for a Pentax FF body.
Had you asked me a year ago I would have jumped at the chance for a FF but I want to diversify, I'm on the fence about buying one now.

I recently purchased a used Leica M8 Rangefinder which is giving me a whole new perspective on photography....going back to my old days of manual focusing and slowing things down a little.....
I'll most likely start pruning my Pentax lens collection but I'll never sell my K200D or my K-5 or my FA primes.
09-28-2014, 02:43 AM   #94
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by peterjcb Quote
I might consider it depending on the size of it.. The K-5/ K-3 is about as large as I want to go at this point with a camera body.
I have all FA limited lenses and quite a few FF lenses that would be a perfect companion for a Pentax FF body.
Had you asked me a year ago I would have jumped at the chance for a FF but I want to diversify, I'm on the fence about buying one now.

I recently purchased a used Leica M8 Rangefinder which is giving me a whole new perspective on photography....going back to my old days of manual focusing and slowing things down a little.....
I'll most likely start pruning my Pentax lens collection but I'll never sell my K200D or my K-5 or my FA primes.
I can't help thinking that a FF product would have to be a bit bigger. I've been having fun with my manual lenses too. Next, I can see I'll start shooting film again!

09-28-2014, 04:46 AM   #95
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
Tough for me to answer this poll because I am awaiting a (hopefully as described) like-new (with a few hundred shutter actuations) 645D with the Pentax-D FA 55mm and FA 75mm lenses. I paid four grand for that outfit, and that was a stretch. So the question for me would be, beyond cost, would be "Will I get better image quality from the FF or the 645D? If the FF, then I may stretch again to buy a used 645Z instead!
Well I'm back to square one because the eBay seller reneged on transaction. I'm not a happy camper today.
09-28-2014, 06:31 AM   #96
Loyal Site Supporter

After much deliberation, I voted "no--don't need/want" A massive infusion of cash into my bank account might change my mind (and I have no compunctions about accepting bribes in this context ;~) but I'm inclined to stay on the APS-C path. I'm really happy with the K-5IIs & K-3 and look forward to upgrading in a couple of years.

I understand that others have other needs/wants and have no objection to a Pentax FF--as long as it doesn't compromise the APS-C future.
09-29-2014, 02:41 PM   #97
Pentaxian

Let's send this poll to Ricoh. I'm sure they'll tool up to make a FF for this many people.
09-29-2014, 03:04 PM   #98
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Let's send this poll to Ricoh. I'm sure they'll tool up to make a FF for this many people.
I certainly hope so. But we're not that many yet!

---------- Post added 09-30-14 at 11:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
After much deliberation, I voted "no--don't need/want" A massive infusion of cash into my bank account might change my mind (and I have no compunctions about accepting bribes in this context ;~) but I'm inclined to stay on the APS-C path. I'm really happy with the K-5IIs & K-3 and look forward to upgrading in a couple of years.

I understand that others have other needs/wants and have no objection to a Pentax FF--as long as it doesn't compromise the APS-C future.
Thanks for your vote!

---------- Post added 09-30-14 at 11:09 AM ----------

Well I'm back to square one because the eBay seller reneged on transaction. I'm not a happy camper today.
That's unfortunate!

09-29-2014, 07:40 PM   #99
Site Supporter

All is not lost! Though not as sweet a deal, I picked up a like-new 645D with about 10 shutter clicks. Should be here within the week. No lenses this time for 4K.
09-29-2014, 07:44 PM   #100
Site Supporter

That's a pretty good deal anyway! Enjoy.
09-30-2014, 12:35 PM   #101
Site Supporter

Original Poster
All is not lost! Though not as sweet a deal, I picked up a like-new 645D with about 10 shutter clicks. Should be here within the week. No lenses this time for 4K.
Who takes just ten photos and then decides to sell a camera? Sounds like a good deal - Enjoy!
09-30-2014, 12:46 PM   #102
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Who takes just ten photos and then decides to sell a camera? Sounds like a good deal - Enjoy!
I don't know but I hope they keep doing it!
10-01-2014, 12:38 PM - 2 Likes   #103
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Every time I update my database with the figures from the poll, so that I can calculate likely percentages with error corrections, I look at the overall number of members on PF. That way, I'm able to see what proportion of members have taken part in the poll. Currently, that figure is 63,673. So, I have a 1 in 266 participation rate, at present. But, what I find interesting, is that the number of PF members grow every day, by as much as 30-40 every day. Very impressive!
10-03-2014, 03:49 AM - 1 Like   #104
Site Supporter

Turns out it had 34 shutter actuations. Egad, it's worn out more than THREE times more than described!
10-03-2014, 04:44 AM   #105
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Who takes just ten photos and then decides to sell a camera?
I can understand it. Using a camera and a brand you are not familiar can be like visiting a foreign country sometimes - very disorientating. First impulse is to go home.
Closed Thread