Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Will you buy a FF Pentax, if one was available?
Yes, if it is a Pentax branded camera. 7918.20%
Yes, if it is a Pentax and/or Ricoh branded camera. 10023.04%
Yes, if it had the sort of specs you mention. 6013.82%
Yes, but only if it's priced no higher than, for instance, the D750. 5713.13%
No, I've bought a FF made by a different supplier. 173.92%
No, I don't need or want FF. 8319.12%
No - I would like to, but I cannot afford to buy a new camera. 276.22%
Yes, but only if it's available in forty-seven color combinations. 112.53%
Voters: 434. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
10-03-2014, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #106
Veteran Member

1. The usual Pentax weatherproofing.
  2. 16-41 megapixels. (Is 41 too extreme?) (I would think 24 would work nicely!)
  3. USB 3 connectivity with tethering.
  4. 80-51,000 ISO, or better.
  5. Touch-screen LCD, with bright sun boost. (Touch screen could give an industry first: Optimisation of "button" positions for left handed shooters)
  6. Built-In WIFI, with tethering app for Iphone, Windows Phone and Android
  7. Need I mention it - Of course it will be K-mount!
  8. Have Shake Reduction.
I really like the idea of touch screen for focus select.

10-03-2014, 06:51 AM   #107
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aoeu Quote
I don't, not when using the optical viewfinder - you'll have to lower the camera from your eye and change your grip. Same for any setting which would lose its dedicated button/dial.
As a phone, touch-based interface smartphones have much worse interfaces; cameras would be even more affected by this "improvement".
10-03-2014, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #108
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I don't, not when using the optical viewfinder - you'll have to lower the camera from your eye and change your grip. Same for any setting which would lose its dedicated button/dial.
As a phone, touch-based interface smartphones have much worse interfaces; cameras would be even more affected by this "improvement".
With a touch screen we finally could get some use of having the nose poking the screen.
10-03-2014, 07:05 AM   #109

QuoteOriginally posted by aoeu Quote
Could be wrong, but I don't think we'll see touch screen function until the video improves. First the kind of video object tracking of, uh, Canon, Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, then the touch screen. At least that's been the rollout of the competition.

10-03-2014, 08:32 AM   #110
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
With a touch screen we finally could get some use of having the nose poking the screen.
Nose AF point selection, with a bit of training that could be fast!
10-03-2014, 10:56 AM   #111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As befits my age, I'm a touch-screen skeptic.
10-03-2014, 11:08 AM   #112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
Turns out it had 34 shutter actuations. Egad, it's worn out more than THREE times more than described!
Hope you asked for a discount. "Not as described" 300% more use than seller advertised. I'd ask for at least half off. </joke> Just joking off course sounds like a great deal.

I once bought a complete Spotmatic kit with original case, flash, cables, full set of filters and S-M-C 35mm f/2, S-M-C 50mm f/1.4, S-M-C 135mm f/2.5 in original cases with hoods for $75. All look brand new as if never used. My guess based on written notes taped to various items is that someone went to a camera store and said "sell me everything I need to be a photographer, cost is not a problem". Then lost interest and never used the gear.

10-07-2014, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #113
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
As befits my age, I'm a touch-screen skeptic.
I've embraced it. Finally, a phone where the buttons are not too small for my fat fingers!
10-07-2014, 12:22 PM   #114
Veteran Member

The pessimist's view: damn it, a camera where the buttons are always too small for my fingers!

When I have my finger on a button, however small, I can feel the 'correct' button going down...
10-07-2014, 12:34 PM   #115
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
The pessimist's view: damn it, a camera where the buttons are always too small for my fingers!

When I have my finger on a button, however small, I can feel the 'correct' button going down...
True, especially the shutter button!
10-08-2014, 07:32 AM   #116
Veteran Member

If I were doing a fair amount of landscape photography, street photography, art photography, real estate photography or product photography I would consider a FF camera to take full advantage of wide-angle lenses, allow me to move in closer to the subject thereby reducing the depth of field, and take advantage of possible less noise in my images. That is the type of photography I rarely do therefore I have no interest in a FF camera at this time. Even if that were the focus of my photography the higher price of both camera and lens coupled with greater weight might lead me to stick with what I now have.
10-08-2014, 07:41 AM   #117

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Even if that were the focus of my photography the higher price of both camera and lens coupled with greater weight might lead me to stick with what I now have.
Hmm, I'm not sure this is still correct. The APSC lenses seem to be about the same price as the FF lenses, and the size of the FF cameras are coming down considerably.
10-08-2014, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #118
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by easyreeder Quote
Hmm, I'm not sure this is still correct. The APSC lenses seem to be about the same price as the FF lenses, and the size of the FF cameras are coming down considerably.
I don't think it's correct, either. I more ascribe to...

Dr. Camera: APS-C lenses aren't smaller, aren't lighter, and aren't cheaper.
10-08-2014, 08:31 AM   #119
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I was out shooting the moon this morning and I wouldn't have minded a little more low noise sensitivity. If I had the money I'd probably just go for a 645Z but I don't. I might have enough for a FF body which would be handy if it could use my existing K mount lenses. Also a smaller (in theory) investment than switching systems and needing all new lenses.
10-08-2014, 09:41 AM   #120
Veteran Member

The 645z, with available lenses, doesn't have any more low-light performance than the K-5 with available lenses.
Closed Thread