Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Will you buy a FF Pentax, if one was available?
Yes, if it is a Pentax branded camera. 7918.20%
Yes, if it is a Pentax and/or Ricoh branded camera. 10023.04%
Yes, if it had the sort of specs you mention. 6013.82%
Yes, but only if it's priced no higher than, for instance, the D750. 5713.13%
No, I've bought a FF made by a different supplier. 173.92%
No, I don't need or want FF. 8319.12%
No - I would like to, but I cannot afford to buy a new camera. 276.22%
Yes, but only if it's available in forty-seven color combinations. 112.53%
Voters: 434. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2014, 07:55 PM   #181
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
Perhaps for a 2nd or 3rd FF the $3000+ price could work, but for the first one i really dont think so
Agree. Nikon have had time to evolve the D810 to it's current form, ditto Canon with the 5D3. There is tough competition up at that level for a newbie.

11-16-2014, 12:16 PM   #182
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Agree. Nikon have had time to evolve the D810 to it's current form, ditto Canon with the 5D3. There is tough competition up at that level for a newbie.
Absolutely! And, so far, the poll seems to show that many members would prefer a D750 or therabouts price point.
11-16-2014, 06:16 PM   #183
Pentaxian

Yes, but only if it's available in forty-seven color combinations.

If I can't have it in pinkenta then I'm not a all interested.
11-16-2014, 11:10 PM   #184
Veteran Member

I'm now leaning towards yes after using the D750 for a few days. Hoping it is considerably less expensive than the alternatives.

11-17-2014, 02:36 AM   #185
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
Hoping it is considerably less expensive than the alternatives.
And why would that be? Why would a company offer a product of a similar or even better quality at a considerably lower price than the competition?
11-17-2014, 03:07 AM   #186
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
And why would that be? Why would a company offer a product of a similar or even better quality at a considerably lower price than the competition?

Because like the 645D and now 645Z, it might a be highly successful price point.
11-17-2014, 03:19 AM   #187
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
Because like the 645D and now 645Z, it might a be highly successful price point.
Medium format cameras are premium products that are already pretty far removed from the production costs - FF cameras probably have much lower profit margins (relatively speaking).

11-17-2014, 01:16 PM   #188
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote

Let's not forget that Pentax FF market now is 0% .. so, as fast as they grow their market the better for the company, they need to catch clients FAST, new clients.. and offering the "same" features at the same price as other cameras its not "bad" but not really smart if you want to grow your business in a totally new market.

As i said, IMO for the first FF Pentax should not pass the $2000 ( including top features ) so the camera will be VERY VERY VERYYY attractive ( for new and already FF users ) and the FF market will grow, so the next FF ( verison 2, version 3, 4, 5.. ), could be reaching between $2000 and $3000 +/- BUT, with the difference that because of v1 success, the brand will have a base of FF users, lots of reviews, lots of good mouth to mouth marketing, etc... Pentax body prices have been reasonable compared with other brands so, im looking for the same thing with a FF body..

At the end is all about marketing and making money.
11-17-2014, 02:49 PM   #189
Veteran Member

Let's not forget that Pentax FF market now is 0% .. so, as fast as they grow their market the better for the company, they need to catch clients FAST, new clients.. and offering the "same" features at the same price as other cameras its not "bad" but not really smart if you want to grow your business in a totally new market.

As i said, IMO for the first FF Pentax should not pass the $2000 ( including top features ) so the camera will be VERY VERY VERYYY attractive ( for new and already FF users ) and the FF market will grow, so the next FF ( verison 2, version 3, 4, 5.. ), could be reaching between $2000 and $3000 +/- BUT, with the difference that because of v1 success, the brand will have a base of FF users, lots of reviews, lots of good mouth to mouth marketing, etc... Pentax body prices have been reasonable compared with other brands so, im looking for the same thing with a FF body..

You mean NOT what has been done with the K-01...
11-17-2014, 05:44 PM   #190
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
You mean NOT what has been done with the K-01...
I wasnt really paying attention to the release of K01 when it happend.. but It was a bad move.. is a mirrorless with kind of the same size of a DSLR, without OVF/EVF, lack of features, and even more expensive than some other Pentax DSLRs.. :/ so dont know what they were thinking when Pentax release this camera, perhaps at a lower price could be more attractive for their target ( actually, who was their target ?? ). the real advantage was that pentax users could use their glasses with this camera too.. but besides that.. dont really know what was better campared with other mirrorless or even DSLRs.... size .. nop.. price.. nop.. video.. nop.. image.. nop.. so.. who knows..
11-17-2014, 05:59 PM   #191
Veteran Member

It is not that simple, for around or under $2000 price point, they could not have done it two years ago as the FF sensor price just caught on in recent year. I believe there were even some technical issues (such as ones that they have in k-3, on-demand AA filter). We are all arm directors here thinking that Ricoh/Pentax should have done this and done that.... they are all irrelevant. We like to think that if Pentax had a FF camera with good features better than Canikony models, everyone would jump on it - to be honest, it is a dream, in reality, almost everyone in the Canikon world have already own a D600/800 or 6D (and those who don't will never switch to FF). So, where is the market? well, just some of the die hard Pentax fans like us and there are not many out there.
11-17-2014, 06:22 PM   #192
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
We like to think that if Pentax had a FF camera with good features better than Canikony models, everyone would jump on it - to be honest, it is a dream, in reality, almost everyone in the Canikon world have already own a D600/800 or 6D (and those who don't will never switch to FF). So, where is the market? well, just some of the die hard Pentax fans like us and there are not many out there.
By this rationale there wouldn't be a market for any company with any product that another company has already been selling for some time. Photography is a dynamic field - old photographers die, new ones are born every day. Your argument that everyone CaNikon user who wants FF already has it or will never get it doesn't make any sense - there are tons of people who are just starting with their first DSLR and might go FF in the future, people who are already eyeing up FF but cannot afford it yet and so on. I have a friend (uni student like me) who is saving up for his first used Nikon FF, he originally chose Nikon for that exact same reason - he preferred Pentax but didn't want to lose the opportunity to go FF in the future. Of course Canikon users will not suddenly flock towards a new Pentax FF in droves, but not having a FF option has been putting off people to buy a Pentax who otherwise liked Pentax' concept of comparably small, rugged DSLRs with great built quality and weather sealing.

The market for a new Pentax FF will be Pentax users who have been waiting for FF for pretty much forever, Pentax users like me who are absolutely fine with APS-C for the time being and cannot afford FF right now anyway, people who just bought their first KS1 or K-50 and might want to upgrade in the future and an (admittedly not that massive) number of CaNikon users who might want to switch systems. Seriously, the same way we Pentax users are perpetually unsatisfied with AF.C, Video and the lack of FF there is an equal number of Canon users that hate Canon's outdated sensors, poor dynamic range or artificially castrated cameras like the 6D or Nikon users who dislike ... I don't know, I have no idea about the Nikon system - guess there must be something wrong with it too
11-17-2014, 08:32 PM   #193
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
in reality, almost everyone in the Canikon world have already own a D600/800 or 6D (and those who don't will never switch to FF).
Thats totally not true.. i know A LOT of Canikons who have or started with APS-C and will LOVE to use FF in the future, they dont have it now because they dont have the $$$ to afford it at this time, but they are working, saving money so some day in the future they can get their first FF because that is their "dream camera".

I really dont think that somebody will buy a FF as their first camera ( unless spending lots of $$$ is not a problem).. or at least not that many compared to the ones that start with APS-C. Its all a process.. we buy lenses, then we save some money and buy a better lens .. same with the bodys... in my case i started with a Kr.. then saved and got a K5ii.. and now K3.. and yes.. I will LOVE to have the possibility to buy a Pentax FF in the near future.

The fact is, that many people (especially the ones that are interested in fashion/sports and low light situations ) just dont pick Pentax as their system because Pentax at this moment have a body limitation, as soon as Pentax users have the brand top APS-C they dont have nowhere else to go within the Pentax system ( 645Z/D is not an option here.... and, i know that this is something that we dont like to hear/read, but, we cant compare the pentax DSLR "flag ship" with other brands "flag ships"... we are short.. at this time we are good/great with APS-C but that's it ... most pro's that i know end up using FF and not APS-C.

So what this people do?? they pick a brand that have this... That is something that happens EVERY DAY, and Ricoh knows this...

So is not about there is no market.. the market is there, the market claims for a FF system that can compete with other FF systems. The market wants to be able to have the chance that if you buy an entry level, then they can buy a mid range.. then an advance.. and THEN.. you can buy a FF in case that you feel that you can take advantage of it... Pentaxians will love to look in the eyes at D810s .. 5Dmk3s or other FF users and say.. "hey.. i can compete with you.. side by side.. nothing to be ashamed"..
11-18-2014, 06:38 AM   #194

Yes, I'll buy it, provided it is reasonnably priced.
I've got enough FF lenses (20-35 / 24 / 35 / 50 / 135 and 50-500) that are all AF (except the 135mm) that cover what I like to shoot.
I could sell some lenses I would not use anymore, to fund the switch to FF...

And share almost all my gear between digital and film bodies.

So why not ? Just waiting for the FF to come, and buy it. But an engagement ring is eating my budget, so I am in no hurry for the moment ;-)
11-19-2014, 05:06 PM   #195
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only quibble I have with the specs in built in wi-fi or gps. That means plastic. Thanks but no thanks. Other than that I'm all for it.
Closed Thread