Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2014, 06:59 AM   #16
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
If you recall that camera was a disaster for Leica. The Leica M9 and Leica Monochrom are better in every way.
Well it wasn't the sensor that made the M8 a desaster, it was full of designfaillure.

True Sense Imaging, the follower of Kodak and maker for the 645D CCD sensor still has APS-H in its portfolio, so someone must use it:
http://www.truesenseimaging.com/products/full-frame-ccd/55-KAF-6303
Probably Industrial use, but it's still APS-H!

09-18-2014, 07:09 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A 6MP monochrome sensor is not likely to be used in any recent digital camera for consumers.
But it might be useful for other applications (Medical and Scientific as indicated in the fact sheet).
09-18-2014, 07:15 AM   #18
Banned

Original Poster
So here is the question......

You maybe will have the Pentax K-mount Full Frame in january 2016 in your camera bag.

Wouldn't you have enjoyed using the APS-H sized sensor K-mount for the past years and year to come if they just made it when I first asked for it?

09-18-2014, 08:28 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I enjoy using most image capturing tools (except smartphones or tablets).

But it's not really what this is about. It's about what can be a viable product for Pentax/Ricoh to release.

09-21-2014, 11:46 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
I've rarely seen so much perseverance. Sorry Ron, but ''larger than APS-C'' is in the question. If it was in the answer, was something, but not so.

And about perseverance, maybe this is how this ''crazy'' Dutch have managed to build a third of their country under the sea level.
Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum. Did they made "full frame" dams or APS-H ones, I wonder?
Adam, please make Ron an APS-H section and let's see how many are interested in discussing a format only one person cares about.
09-21-2014, 12:18 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum. Did they made "full frame" dams or APS-H ones, I wonder?
Adam, please make Ron an APS-H section and let's see how many are interested in discussing a format only one person cares about.
In the case of the Dutch people, ''perseverare'' is anyway but not ''diabolicum''.
09-21-2014, 12:22 PM   #22
Veteran Member

It is easier for my mouth to say 'S-C' combination rather than 'S-H'

09-21-2014, 07:01 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
So the question #19

#19. As you indicated in previous interviews, are you still considering expanding the K-mount camera system to use sensors larger than APS-C?

This is a question that we cannot disclose, but as I said in the 645Z questions, we think that the 645Z is one of our answers toward the high-end of customers.

At the same time, we know that the full-frame market is growing. So, our engineers are engaged in the development of full-frames, but with the question of when to launch/release the product, we will want to carefully study the market trend.

Call me crazy, but I see an opening for APS-H

Maybe APS-H crop mode along with APS-C crop mode on the new Full frame camera. Otherwise not likely. I do think this answer has a different flavor to ones about full frame in the past. maybe this is a good thing maybe not?
09-21-2014, 09:42 PM   #24
Banned

And there was me thinking someone had spotted an interesting tidbit regarding FF.

Sorry Ron, but you're crazy. They aren't going to release an APS-H camera.
09-21-2014, 10:27 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

You maybe will have the Pentax K-mount Full Frame in january 2016 in your camera bag.

Wouldn't you have enjoyed using the APS-H sized sensor K-mount for the past years and year to come if they just made it when I first asked for it?

Yes, probably it could be a better sensor, with bigger pixels, or with more pixels than an APS-C. Maybe it was a lost opportunity, or, maybe it wasn't an opportunity at all, because nobody made it cheap enough. Who knows?

At the end, is all about price and standardization. An APS-H sensor need a different mirror, prism, shutter, and almost everything in the light pass must be made different. What about lenses?

Canon has a different, smaller APS-C, but they make their own sensors, and sell millions every year. And even they gave up their APS-H. Why?

Last edited by JimmyDranox; 09-21-2014 at 10:34 PM.
09-22-2014, 12:46 AM   #26
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
Canon has a different, smaller APS-C, but they make their own sensors, and sell millions every year. And even they gave up their APS-H. Why?
I think Canon and Nikon are trying to get people into FF and with the new 7D Mark II I guess Canon knows that that won't be the case for the larger part of the market. Nikon is still on the Full Frame or nothing pathway, but even they have to come up with something that makes users believe this is the D400.

So I think it wasn't smart to give up on aps-H.
09-22-2014, 07:51 AM   #27
Veteran Member

When was the first recent year that Pentax said it was looking at 36x24? 2012? "Maybe" is an operative term.
09-22-2014, 08:14 AM   #28
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
When was the first recent year that Pentax said it was looking at 36x24? 2012? "Maybe" is an operative term.
I know, maybe tomorrow.....