Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2014, 08:50 PM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
What's more portable and handy than the camera that's always in my pocket, that allows me to share right from the device to anyone in the world in a heartbeat? There are phones with optical zooms (Nokia?) I think.

I don't think anyone would argue that digital 35mm photography isn't capable of capturing stunning images. I certainly am not. But, except for the Sony a7 which has its own issues and a complete lack of quality native lenses, all of the FF cameras are damn near as heavy and bulky as the 645z with pro level lenses. So why compromise quality to save a couple ounces?

The jump in IQ from high end aps-c to FF isn't worth the price or weight or wait when a solid portable MF option exists.

12-04-2014, 11:00 AM   #47
Veteran Member

No. They are not as bulky as a mid format. That is a fact. Not even nearly as big as ANY mid format camera on the market.
And about lenses:
Compare the DFA 100mm WR MACRO with the MID-Format pendant. The mid format lens will be huge compared to the "Full-Frame" lens.
And i don't think you can make proper use of an SMC Takumar 105mm f:2.8 on your mid format for example.
The Sony A900 for example is not as big as a mid format. It has SR and it is not as expensive as a MF cam.

And that is the next reason for FF. Economics. Not every guy who wants to do serious photography can effort to drive a BMW and buy himself an MF-Cam.
I am happily satisfied with my PEUGEOT. And i would also be satisfied with a FF PENTAX DSLR.
12-04-2014, 12:38 PM   #48
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You don't have to buy both a BMW and a MF camera. There is the option of driving a Hyundai and buying a MF camera... or more fun, a motorcycle! That's what I did in college to afford photography at all. Couldn't afford a car and an expensive hobby. Again, priorities...

Anything you want or need to do with a FF camera you can do with a aps-c camera. If you want need resolution, it's worth the step up to MF.
12-04-2014, 10:44 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote

Anything you want or need to do with a FF camera you can do with a aps-c camera.
Yes you can.. but not as easy/good ( at some situations ).. simply as that.. perhaps a Hyundai will take you to your sunday trip.. and it will be ok.. but perhaps not as confortable as an Audi can do. So yes, APS-C can take almost all the pictures that a FF can take. but there are some situations, specially when you really push the sensor to the edges when you will see the differences.. So the question is, is your photography style pushing the edges often?? cuz if is not perhaps an APS-C is more than enough..

12-05-2014, 02:42 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Anything you want or need to do with a FF camera you can do with a aps-c camera.
Simply not true. Surrounding background looks different. The impression is different. Object separation through SDO does look different.
What means if i want to make a photo on APS-C that is up with a photo from a FF, than i will have to stitch at least 3-4 APS-C photos.
You have to work with different focal lengths qua in classical 35mm film photography and that is, where the most photographers come and take their styles from. And there are many who would like to see a FF Pentax DSLR.
12-05-2014, 03:15 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You don't have to buy both a BMW and a MF camera. There is the option of driving a Hyundai and buying a MF camera... or more fun, a motorcycle! That's what I did in college to afford photography at all. Couldn't afford a car and an expensive hobby. Again, priorities...

Anything you want or need to do with a FF camera you can do with a aps-c camera. If you want need resolution, it's worth the step up to MF.
Stick with what I posted, 90% of what you can do with an FF camera, you can do on an APS-c camera, and 90% of what you can do on an APS-c camera you can do on a FF camera. But they aren't the same. And it is quite possible that your style requires FF to be effective, even over Medium Format.

Every system is a set of compromises and APS_c is my favourite system of compromises, but for people who aren't shooting long lenses or macro, and shoot indoors in low light, it's quite possible FF would be the best set of compromises. This is not about one being "better" or being able to do the same things, this is about personal preference.

It's quite possible that for your style, you can do anything you want to do with APS-c that you could do with an FF. That won't make it true for everyone else.

Last edited by normhead; 12-05-2014 at 03:21 PM.
12-05-2014, 03:43 PM   #52
Moderator PEG Judges

Why FF over MF?
Because I already have all FF lenses now, just ready to mount on a FF Pentax DSLR.
12-05-2014, 07:31 PM   #53
Pentaxian

just..

take.

pictures.

The lot of you! :P

Think of the images you aren't taking because of your keyboards getting a work out

#Actually can someone make those first 3 words a sticky on entry to this forum.

Last edited by tromboads; 12-05-2014 at 07:32 PM. Reason: #reasons.
12-06-2014, 08:14 AM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Because I already have all FF lenses now, just ready to mount on a FF Pentax DSLR.
ha ha, I have a couple MF lenses in the cupboard waiting for second hand 645D I can afford. I'll get my 645 system for under 3 k, eventually. But just as an aside, those of us who have lugged an 8x19 film camera in a huge suitcase that weighed over 60 pounds, are laughing our heads off at a bunch of folks saying a 645 is too big to work with. Y'all are sounding like a bunch of wusses.

Are you photographers or limp wristed (politically incorrect word here often heard in my youth).

A real man keeps piling on the weight until his knees buckle.
12-06-2014, 09:40 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
stick with what i posted, 90% of what you can do with an ff camera, you can do on an aps-c camera, and 99.99% of what you can do on an aps-c camera you can do on a ff camera.
ftfy.

---------- Post added 12-06-14 at 08:44 AM ----------

I was shooting an event last week, indoors. Needed a 45-135mm F/1.8 for my APS-C.
12-06-2014, 11:11 AM   #56
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I can't help find a lens that doesn't exist. Try the da* 50-135 f2.8 and use your cameras high ISO capabilities by moving up one stop? Recover the underexposed image in post?
12-06-2014, 11:39 AM   #57
Veteran Member

I can't help find a lens that doesn't exist. Try the da* 50-135 f2.8 and use your cameras high ISO capabilities by moving up one stop? Recover the underexposed image in post?
I was already at ISO6400.

There's just some things that you aren't able to do with currently available lenses on APS-C.
12-06-2014, 12:43 PM   #58
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Umm... There aren't any lenses in that zoom range that are that fast, aps-c or FF that I'm aware of.

The only lens that's close is a 35-100 f2.0 from Olympus for m43 cameras.
12-06-2014, 09:11 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Umm... There aren't any lenses in that zoom range that are that fast, aps-c or FF that I'm aware of.

The only lens that's close is a 35-100 f2.0 from Olympus for m43 cameras.
That's about the same.

FF: 70-200 F/2.8
APS-C; 75-210 F/4.3
M4/3: 70-200 F/4

Only the FF had the speed I wanted. Heck I could've used F/2.0.
12-07-2014, 11:27 PM   #60
Site Supporter

Original Poster
...wat?

A FF camera isn't going to make your lens faster nor is it going to add light to the room you're shooting in. Time for a flash?