Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2014, 01:07 AM   #61

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Why FF over MF?
Cost less.
The system (so body and lens) weight less using comparable focal lenght.
AF performance.
Better fps.

But I bet that if the cost was comparable different users accept various compromises just to have a MF, since the AF on Pentax and probably Leica are of better quality (respect Hasselblad and Mamiya/Phase One), and probably acceptable on performance for certain type of work.

12-09-2014, 07:15 PM   #62
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
...wat?

A FF camera isn't going to make your lens faster nor is it going to add light to the room you're shooting in. Time for a flash?
It doesn't make my F-stop bigger, but it effectively gives me an extra stop compared to APS-C in any metric in which I care about.

Flash not allowed, FYI. I should tell them to choose a brighter venue!

---------- Post added 12-09-14 at 06:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by alexfoto Quote
Cost less.
The system (so body and lens) weight less using comparable focal lenght.
AF performance.
Better fps.
Faster equivalent lenses.

One of the only output-related reasons to choose MF is the sharpness of the system.
12-09-2014, 07:25 PM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
It doesn't make my F-stop bigger, but it effectively gives me an extra stop compared to APS-C in any metric in which I care about.

Flash not allowed, FYI. I should tell them to choose a brighter venue!

---------- Post added 12-09-14 at 06:16 PM ----------

Faster equivalent lenses.

One of the only output-related reasons to choose MF is the sharpness of the system.
Which in some instances is all you are about.
12-09-2014, 11:25 PM   #64
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Which in some instances is all you are about.
Uh huh. Thanks for no-value-add-completely-baseless insult norm. I remember why I stopped coming here. You.

Fortunately FF doesn't require the same level of compromises that APSC does to get to the same level of sharpness. WinWinWin.

12-10-2014, 06:23 AM   #65
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I should have said "In some instances you need more resolution than FF can provide so MF is your only solution" But as I said, before, if I post something that's not clear, you have a real knack for taking it the way I didn't mean it. But you don't have to leave the site just put me on ignore. We'll both be happier.

Resolution is determined by pixel density and sensor size, and is affected by diffraction and lens efficiency. Sensor size is not the defining factor in achieving resolution.PUt a Sigma 70 on a Canon 6D or 5D and a K-3 will easily out resolve them at anything less than 400 ISO.

Last edited by normhead; 12-10-2014 at 06:47 AM.
12-10-2014, 10:45 AM   #66
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
With regard to the OP... The biggest advantage I can see to FF over MF is cost and lens availability.

As for sensors in general, I'm no longer convinced it matters much. I'm guessing that today's APSc sensors are as good as past FF sensors. For instance, the K-5 has offered me all the image quality I wanted from a FF camera. Could I get better from a FF in the same generation or even in today's generation? Perhaps, but there is also a law of diminishing returns. We see it in lenses where costs go up exponentially for improvements in sharpness and rendering. I feel like going to FF will be the same thing. I'd pay two to three times more for a body that only slightly improves on my APSc camera.

Of course the one thing the larger sensors do is change the depth of field and field of view for specific lenses. I'm not sure I'd care much about that as I already find that some of my fast f/2.0 and faster lenses give me too narrow of dof on my APSc bodies when I want narrow. Of course that's just my shooting style. The field of view I could see being an advantage in some circumstances when shooting at wide-angles. Of course with APSc, I just stitch panoramas together and move along.
12-11-2014, 04:18 AM   #67
Inactive Account

Bananaman

Full frame has one advantage over APS C , being the depth of field is more shallow, useful but the same can be said that the APS C has MORE depth of field!!

I like the fact that all my FF lenses are all 1.5X longer, but again my 19mm FF lens has lost it's umph and become a 28mm.

Swings and rouundabouts I'm affraid. Picture quality I can't say but maybe FF is better? lets see the tests.