Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
09-21-2014, 01:35 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Math or moments?
Moments are physics and physics depends on math.

Steve

---------- Post added 09-21-14 at 01:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
what a good add for Fuji, its almost like he was being paid.
He is a pro...there is clearly no sense doing anything if you are not getting paid!

Steve

(...see this mouth? It is a professional tool. In fact, this entire face is a professional tool. The attached body, however, is not so much so...)

09-21-2014, 09:51 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That stuffed squirrel is totally rockin!!
09-22-2014, 07:48 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
what a good add for Fuji, its almost like he was being paid.
Bingo.
09-22-2014, 12:42 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I also like the way he beat on everything with that crazy pointer!
Although an 8x10 digital sensor would be wicked! Probably need a car battery to power it!

10-06-2014, 11:53 PM   #20
Veteran Member

This video is just perfect. It gathers everything most of us say about "the real need" for a full frame 24x36 mm sensor, but does it in a humorous way, boiled down to real facts and straight to the point, without being "advertising" for certain brand or against others, even though it favors the Fujifilm XT1, the whole video is equally valid to any other brand.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have about two dozen emails to send, with the link for this video, to all my "full frame worship" friends...
10-13-2014, 05:50 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I think its all personal taste and what gets the job done. I shoot aps-c, full frame film & digital, and 645 film. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.
10-15-2014, 08:31 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Or, if you want to deflate some of the arguments, just do a side by side...it does make one feel a little silly.

I mean, this is what we are arguing about, right? The magnification in their test does vary a smidge because of different lenses used and crop, but really, this could be down to how the individual manufacturers firmware deals with the signal almost as much as the sensor. I think Pentax techs do a better job than the maker (sony) and would be really keen to see what they will do with a FF, but in reality, it is an incrimental increase...

AND... after knowing all that... I still want one! Ahahahahahahahahahahahahah! Hey, I can't help myself. That last 5% of anything is the hardest to get. Ask a drag racer who will pay untold $thousands to get an extra 25HP out of an engine, or a runner who will train insanely hard to shave off a couple hundreths of a second. We want what we want. People are funny that way.

Eric

Attached Images

10-15-2014, 09:45 AM   #23
Veteran Member

You think that's 5%?
10-15-2014, 10:20 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Or as i always say... they're all bad, but some people want the best of the bad. Personally, I go for the best of the best.
10-15-2014, 05:55 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
So he gives good grades for photos that he like. And he is the judge... What's wrong with that? Following your line your line of thought, every single picture taken since the invention of the camera would get an A+... There is bound to be at least one person in the world who would like a picture.
Because it's too narrow, limited by HIS walls. He would explain that to his students, and invite them to take a look at his walls first. Then it would be a fair judgment.
10-15-2014, 06:43 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I don't think "narrow" and Zack Arias should be used in the same sentence... Have you look at the decor in the video? Have you looked at his work? He is a very polyvalent photographer touching every style and genre so in all fairness "his" wall is probably covered with every kind of photograph imaginable. I'm not a big fan of what he does now, but he does have a keen eye.

His students are more than likely very aware of the kind of work he does... You don't go take photography courses with a architectural photographer if you're planning on doing pets portraits...

I still can't see what the problem is with only getting an "A" if you have a a photo that the teacher finds worthy enough to put on his walls, a picture that will wow him enough to make it to his wall of fame of sorts... An "A" is the best of the best isn't it? If he would have said "good enough for National Geographic" would it have been better?

Unless of course you're of the type of person where everyone's a winner and gets an "A" as long as they submit a photo... and get a "A for effort" if they don't submit anything... because you know, it has to be fair.
10-16-2014, 06:11 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Sorry to butt in, but do you really think Teachers just give A's to pictures they like? It might be hard to believe, but it's possible for a teacher to see a well executed concept that simply isn't his or her style and still give it an A. It doesn't mean it would get on their living room gallery, far from it. But having taught i will say, there are always in every class a few students who refuse to admit they aren; getting good marks, because they have no talent. There is always that student who takes his work very seriously, who tries (but fails) to understand the concepts being discussed. Who's fall back position is to copy the examples provided by the teacher instead of actually engaging with the concept, and who gets a B for working very hard. But I'm not going to delude the student by giving them an A just for working hard. All the current curriculums have a "creativity" component. And the basis for that for me, is "does the student understand the concept enough to play with it." It's like basketball, I don't care if you can work through all the steps needed to shoot a jump shot, I want to see a jump shot well executed, with the end result being the ball goes through the hoop. Doing the work to have perfect form has no merit if you don't have the physical co-ordination to make 3 in a row fem every shooting position. Hard work is one thing, talent is something else. An "A" needs both.

That being said, there are 37 different learning styles and teachers with a particular learning style themselves will tend to favour students who have a similar learning style. If you don't think your teacher is fair, find a teacher who teaches like you learn, you'll do much better. That perceived "unfairness" will work for you not against you. If you can't find a successful teacher who teaches your learning style, maybe your learning style is not conducive to learning Photography.

But as for A's because you like it... if only life were so simple, everyone would be a teacher.
10-16-2014, 06:43 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Sorry to butt in, but do you really think Teachers just give A's to pictures they like? It might be hard to believe, but it's possible for a teacher to see a well executed concept that simply isn't his or her style and still give it an A <snip>..
Well, good teachers anyway... I've had vehement disagreements with some Nimrods that would actually give a failing grade if your project contradicted their personal agenda or view of the world, even if the quality of my work obviously equal or surpassed those given A+'s.
I won't go any further than that, since this could easily thread drift and it's not that kind of forum.

Eric
10-16-2014, 07:00 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
Well, good teachers anyway... I've had vehement disagreements with some Nimrods that would actually give a failing grade if your project contradicted their personal agenda or view of the world, even if the quality of my work obviously equal or surpassed those given A+'s.
I won't go any further than that, since this could easily thread drift and it's not that kind of forum.

Eric
Agreed, like everything else, just because you're a teacher does't mean you're good at it, or even competent. I once had a math teacher give me 50's , in the end he admitted it was because though I got the right answers, he couldn't understand my proofs. And that was math... what are you going to do? Tell him "to be my teacher you need to be smarter". I guess he'd say I needed to make my work more understandable to the average schmuck.
10-16-2014, 10:52 AM   #30
Veteran Member

That's the thing with art... For photos, technique, composition and exposure can easily be quantitated but are not in any way representative of a great picture. Anyone with a bit of practice can get all of this 100%. But when you get to that little something that makes a picture great, catchy and that has a wow factor, a photo worth of NatGeo or Z. Arias' wall in this case, this is very hard to grade and this is open to the interpretation of the person grading the picture.

A picture composed perfectly with nice highlights and shadows, exposed properly and focus is bang on, with an interesting enough but very normal subject deserves an "A". Right?

How about the picture underexposed a bit but that gave you shivers when you looked at it? Being a published photographer, you know that it could easily sell... Well it's not 100% by the book, so there you go, you get a "B" grade the exposure is -2/3 too dark.

You cannot grade any form of art without having a bias...