Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
09-17-2014, 07:13 PM - 4 Likes   #1

Photos: Albums
One more time, but in a funny way: Crop Sensors vs Full Frame

I am not sure if you already watched this but i think this forum (especially) need this kind of stuff:

i mean, i am not saying that i wouldn't like a FF (i might like one with the d4x specs for wildlife shooting) but i think aps-c has everything i need to make amazing pictures (not to mention the little extra reach), and with pentax always leading the aps-c cameras i really dont find any real reasons to change, at least for my type of shooting.

the only thing i would ask pentax is to improve its AF system (of both cameras and lenses).

let me know what you though about the video, ( i found the stick a little annoying, the rest was entertaining).

good night

Last edited by carlosodze; 09-17-2014 at 07:43 PM.
09-17-2014, 07:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Haha I love the bit on 10:14, so acccurate. T'was a great video Thanks for sharing it.
09-17-2014, 08:46 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by carlosodze Quote
I am not sure if you already watched this but i think this forum (especially) need this kind of stuff:
He is right of course. I shoot several formats and each has its strengths and none is particularly inferior in the realm of their strength. I am thinking that I will stay away from 8x10 though. I am really not interested in having my pee pee go soft on account of a camera.

The most important thing to take away from Zach's monologue? "Cameras can't see."

What to add? "The camera should make it easier to share what you see (your vision), not harder."

Shared vision clouded? "If the camera is making it harder to express your vision, then perhaps we should take up painting...or get a different camera."

Steve
09-17-2014, 09:07 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great stuff, reinforces a lot of my lack of interest in the FF argument.

09-17-2014, 09:18 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
When I did art - there were in fact interminable gouache v water-colour and acrylic v oils debates - even charcoal v pencil. I think this is the way it goes. Of course, if you can't draw it shows quickly. If you can't draw, then you get into art movements and intellectual debates instead.

I think the rule is, if two things are practically interchangeable, they will produce intense debate as to which is better. No one debates charcoal v oil paint.
09-17-2014, 10:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Zack has always been a little bizarre and is usually so amped from too much coffee ( or something ) that he can be hard to follow but is very skilled and definitely knows of what he speaks.
09-18-2014, 04:58 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I did not like that guy. He tries to be funny, but it's annoying, kind of.
Also, his students grading criteria from another video is questionable. He gives A+ only if he want to put the picture on his wall. Like there are no other walls in the world, and an assignment actually was for the "best pic on Zack's wall". Weird.

09-18-2014, 12:06 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That guy is hilarious! The only reason I have ever been interested in FF was to use existing lenses for wider shots. But as the crop of available lenses improves that becomes less of a concern.
09-18-2014, 02:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

But it's full frame!!!
09-18-2014, 03:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Just one excerpt from his accompanying blog entry :)

It just gets overwhelming! Math or moments? Math or moments!?!? Yes. Yes.

Last edited by jsherman999; 09-18-2014 at 03:59 PM.
09-19-2014, 12:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing. So true and brings to mind that a friend of mine as a kid used 6x7 Mamiya and his K1000 was his toy which he shared with me and my bother. That was my intro to photography along with playing in the darkroom with B&W.
09-21-2014, 09:32 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by carlosodze Quote

Crop Sensors vs Full Frame :: Crop Or Crap? - YouTube

i mean, i am not saying that i wouldn't like a FF (i might like one with the d4x specs for wildlife shooting) but i think aps-c has everything i need to make amazing pictures (not to mention the little extra reach), and with pentax always leading the aps-c cameras i really dont find any real reasons to change, at least for my type of shooting.

the only thing i would ask pentax is to improve its AF system (of both cameras and lenses).

let me know what you though about the video, ( i found the stick a little annoying, the rest was entertaining).

good night
Size does not matter for Pentax, but a clear statement on full frame with mirror or APS-C with/with out mirror. It would be nice to get some guidance here.
09-21-2014, 10:25 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Also, his students grading criteria from another video is questionable. He gives A+ only if he want to put the picture on his wall. Like there are no other walls in the world
So he gives good grades for photos that he like. And he is the judge... What's wrong with that? Following your line your line of thought, every single picture taken since the invention of the camera would get an A+... There is bound to be at least one person in the world who would like a picture.
09-21-2014, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

what a good add for Fuji, its almost like he was being paid.
09-21-2014, 12:47 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
what a good add for Fuji, its almost like he was being paid.
i think you are missing the point, the argument applies to all aps-c cameras, plus nothing false is being said, fujis are great also. (not cheap though)