Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2014, 08:41 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Development of Pentax Full-Frame DSLR is Officially Underway

I was surprised that I didn't see this little tidbit of info posted here already. Apologies If I am posting old news. But Photography Blog is quoting Ricoh's European Product Manager Laurence Bouly, "has confirmed that development of a Pentax full-frame DSLR camera is officially underway." But no other boring details like a release date etc...

09-18-2014, 10:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Although they did say they were looking at the development of a full frame camera,
they also said they were keeping an eye on the market.
As long as they're not making full frame compatible lenses, I doubt they will release a full frame camera. They will probably start with full frame compatible lenses even if they're not Mark as such, then put out a full frame camera.
It does not make sense for them to put out a full frame camera without having a selection of compatible lenses.

Stay safe and have fun.

Joe.
09-18-2014, 10:13 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Seriously again? The news had been confirmed for 3 years+ ago already.
09-18-2014, 10:27 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I believe it was confirmed the first time 15 years ago. And they where probably closer to release it in 2000 than they are now.

09-18-2014, 11:54 PM   #5
Site Supporter

We really do not need another thread on this topic.

Try this one, or this one.
09-19-2014, 09:25 AM   #6

I hope what they have in development is a FF Leica knockoff made by Ricoh. No need to make lenses for it, lots of them out there. Just build it like a tank, drop a 28mp FF sensor in it and charge $2500.
10-06-2014, 04:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Full frame expectations aroused ever since the appearance of the *istD. It seems we've developed a psychological dependency towards a fotographic standard (full frame at 24 x 36 mm) that happened as an accident from using "movie" film to take still pictures. In fact, some of the initial 35 mm cameras used the "half frame" format, which was 18 x 24 mm (IDENTICAL TO THE MOVIE FILM FRAME). Others took advantage and repositioned the film spool to the sides of the camera (instead of up/down as in movie camera), and thus, were able to get a full "twice frame" negative in landscape mode, out of the 35 mm film.

This dependency is such, that even today, with more than 10 years from the appearance of the first aps-c (1.5x crop factors), all lenses are still sold with the corresponding "full frame" equivalencel, like in: DA 18/55 mm (27 x 72.5 mm in 35 mm or full frame). This is probably done in order to keep us "old school, past century" shooters, like up to date with the new reference specifications.

In fact, I've seen people get their brains "scrambled" under such specifications, especially newcomers into the photo thing, that never knew or even played with a regular film DSLR. I bet it won't be long that youngsters will start to ask weird questions and do funny faces when they see an old roll of film or a film using camera... same as my child some years ago when he found some LP records... "Dad, what's this?"

Remember the *istD (I still have mine and its in perfect conditions!) at 6 megapix? Remember that exposure latitude with it was as narrow as a fine slide film like Kodachrome? Remember that also shooting anything above ISO 640 rendered useless images due to the apparent grain and noisy images?

Excuse me guys, but shooting with the *istD was closer to the photographic reality back then, than what is today. Sensors capable of 52,000 ISO, good images to ISO 3200. Image stabilization, in camera HDR.... and you know the best part: All this out a mirror-less or a compact camera, with a 1/1.7" sensor, which is about 1/6th size of an aps-c and fits in your shirt pocket!

So, I just say this out of common sense. Considering the technological advance speed, compared to the mechanical and marketing ability of the manufacturers to keep up, I would dare to say that in less than three years, we will have aps-c sensors capable of performing with as much resolution, latitude and noise level as some of today's full frame sensors, but at half the cost of today's...

If Pentax isn't coming out with new glass (full frame lenses), it would make almost no sense at all coming out with a full frame camera. That means that their marketing department will rely on existing new lenses that cover full frame (the limited - the expensive ones) and of course, all the old legacy glass out there... which may be a good sales point "usability of all the old lenses in pentax k mount..." but very bad for their business, because they want to sell new lenses too. It would be like Epson issuing a new printer, but leaving all the INK business to after market producers or old ink stocks.... no sense at all!