Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Will the Pentax Full Frame K-mount camera show up at the 2016 Photokina?
Yes 5140.16%
No 7659.84%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2014, 05:32 PM   #46

Photos: Gallery
I think 2015 is the year, partly based on what a pentax rep told me a few weeks ago.

Nothing definite, but he thought something cool was coming down the pipeline. He actually volunteered the information without me asking...

12-04-2014, 06:18 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
If anything, the Pentax digital Full Frame issue has been an interesting study of the human mind.

Thinking someone could get grant money to consolidate all of the responses and outcries on this forum from specific people into a short white paper or article published in some psychology text. It would have a long title such as 'Subjective knowledge of inference models in time delayed situations.'
I'm a psychology undergraduate and have played with the thought of writing a paper on LBA or brand wars (major contribution by post decisional dissonance reduction) - the FF phenomenon might be a bit too massive though, with all the different factors playing in.
12-08-2014, 01:01 AM   #48

Photos: Albums
I think no.
There aren't many new lens able to cover a full sensor.
01-04-2015, 09:39 PM   #49
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alexfoto Quote
I think no.
There aren't many new lens able to cover a full sensor.
Some 22 million lenses, at least, out of 25 million in total.
Barely 3 million lenses are made for digital, or those that cover the APS-C (and then some of them cover the FF too).
So more that 95% of all the lenses Pentax ever produced are FF lenses.
Speaking of number of lenses (FF), and how cameras are made (crop sensor), Pentax is more than a crazy company, together with users who say "there is no enough FF lenses". What on Earth are they talking about?!?!

01-06-2015, 12:31 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Some 22 million lenses, at least, out of 25 million in total.
Barely 3 million lenses are made for digital, or those that cover the APS-C (and then some of them cover the FF too).
So more that 95% of all the lenses Pentax ever produced are FF lenses.
Speaking of number of lenses (FF), and how cameras are made (crop sensor), Pentax is more than a crazy company, together with users who say "there is no enough FF lenses". What on Earth are they talking about?!?!

That 25 million lens number that people toss around is silly.
That's exactly what will bring new Pentaxian's into the fold. Hunting the used market for 40 year old, manual focus lenses.
01-06-2015, 03:56 PM   #51
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
That's exactly what will bring new Pentaxian's into the fold. Hunting the used market for 40 year old, manual focus lenses.
Not that. But the fact that one's history is not only stomped upon and then thrown into a bin. That is what FF stands for, among other things. Crop, on the other hand, stands for stomping on those memories.
The core value of photography is preservation of memories, not throwing away things and proofs that created them.
01-06-2015, 04:29 PM   #52
Forum Member

Well to me, given the massive number of F and FA lenses (with autofocus and all the modern features) already available, many of which are extremely sharp and cheap, I'd be totally comfortable committing to a Pentax FF setup if I had the money for the body. Probably not for newcomers, but I think a lot of people here already have most of the lenses for a FF Pentax right now. And I wouldn't be surprised if part of Pentax's plan is to update most of these lenses for the new setup, just like they did when updating from the F to FA series.

01-06-2015, 04:38 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lukelbd Quote
Well to me, given the massive number of F and FA lenses (with autofocus and all the modern features) already available, many of which are extremely sharp and cheap, I'd be totally comfortable committing to a Pentax FF setup if I had the money for the body. Probably not for newcomers, but I think a lot of people here already have most of the lenses for a FF Pentax right now. And I wouldn't be surprised if part of Pentax's plan is to update most of these lenses for the new setup, just like they did when updating from the F to FA series.
I would think that Ricoh would want to attract newcomers with a FF camera. A FF camera is too big of an investment if all Ricoh was going to attract was the members of the tiny pentaxforum community and their hoards of M-lenses.
And when you say "All the modern features", those lenses don't have quick shift, WR, silent focusing motors, modern coatings which help reduce CA. To update F and FA lenses to modern standards, ones which would attact new users to the brand, would not be trivial by any means.
01-06-2015, 04:54 PM   #54
Forum Member

I would think that Ricoh would want to attract newcomers with a FF camera. A FF camera is too big of an investment if all Ricoh was going to attract was the members of the tiny pentaxforum community and their hoards of M-lenses.
And when you say "All the modern features", those lenses don't have quick shift, WR, silent focusing motors, modern coatings which help reduce CA. To update F and FA lenses to modern standards, ones which would attact new users to the brand, would not be trivial by any means.
I guess you're right (though for my purposes the features you mentioned are pretty minor, and CA is pretty well controlled on many of the old lenses), but isn't FF pretty much a done deal at this point? I'm sure this was posted elsewhere, but:

Confirmed: Ricoh Working on Full-Frame Pentax DSLR, Debuted Two FF Lenses at Photokina
Development of Pentax Full-Frame DSLR is Officially Underway | PhotographyBLOG
01-08-2015, 12:15 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Please..Its coming in 2015. Its been said many times and confirmed by people who knows.
01-10-2015, 10:33 PM   #56

There is no guarantee any FF camera would have screwdrive, or that these 20-30 yr old lenses will be any good. Besides for a non pentaxian, they won't be able to afford any old pentax FA glass. It will skyrocket on the second hand market. Also for Pentax to make money they will want to sell new FF lenses. All these people holding onto old lenses doesn't help. They want and need to sell new lenses to make money. Thats why many manufacturers have changed their lens mount. Its also why the FF debate is so passionate in Pentax land, because no other manufacturer provides a FF camera to use old lenses on by default (obviously you can with adaptors).
01-11-2015, 06:36 AM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by justin-23 Quote
It will skyrocket on the second hand market.
Or FA prices might decline as every old Pentax lens on earth comes out of the closet and hits eBay.

Shoot, at one point I had 46 FF manual focus lenses just waiting for the day.
01-11-2015, 07:04 AM   #58
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Most of my FF glas doesn't have an AF drive anyway. But to do away with the af-drive in the long awaited FF would be an affront to many Pentaxians. It also would open up the way to switch Brands. Ricoh cannot afford to leave it out.
01-11-2015, 07:17 AM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Or FA prices might decline as every old Pentax lens on earth comes out of the closet and hits eBay.
If they refresh FA Limiteds with new coatings, quickshift and maybe WR, I see old ones falling in price. If they additionally redesign to provide for IS on FF sensor, I see old ones falling even more.
01-11-2015, 08:04 AM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
If they refresh FA Limiteds with new coatings, quickshift and maybe WR, I see old ones falling in price. If they additionally redesign to provide for IS on FF sensor, I see old ones falling even more.
Actually, I think the FA Limiteds might hold their value over time, especially the MIJ, low serial versions. They're special lenses just as they are and aficionados will probably always pursue them. You can already see members here () referring to their DA Limiteds as 'SMC' or 'HD' in equipment lists.

I was referring to the general FA lenses and particularly to the manual focus lenses. There are stories of eBay sellers sitting on mountains of manual focus K, M and A lenses just waiting for the FF. A few prescient PDML members accumulated mountains of M42 lenses in the late-90's, sold when the 'converter revolution' made them hot properties.

These second-comers think they'll reap the same bonanza.