Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2014, 04:46 AM   #166
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Sony 50MP Full Frame Sensors Coming in 2015
Is Pentax waiting for this sensor before releasing its own FF perhaps.....
I think the Sony 50 mega pixel sensor rumor you speak of .......is just a rumor.

It is all dependent on what Canon produce. Canon was ahead of the game for a time with its 18mp APS-C cameras. The Sony 35mm 24mp sensor had Canon beat, the 36mp sensor was kicking Canon while its down. So unless Canon comes out with something to rival or beat Sony chips, theres no need for further mega pixel wars for the time being.

These manufacturers want to extract as much as they can from a product lifecycle. The Sony A7ii is again a 24mp camera, albeit with sensor shift and sensor shift that work in unison with an attached OIS lens - which is probably the bigger story for Sony.

Most professionals are more than happy with 20-24 mp in 35mm. The 36mp was supposed to rival medium format, I dont think it did even when MF was using CCD sensors (except high ISO). Now that medium format is using CMOS sensors, they wont necessarilly be threatened by a 36 mp or higher 35mm camera.

So theres plenty of life left in the lifecycle of 12,16, 18, 20, 21, 24 and 36mp 35mm sensors. They'll milk this for all they can, but when sales start to stagnate, yeah, they'll release a big mega pixel camera.

Build it and they will come !

11-22-2014, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #167

QuoteOriginally posted by zoolander Quote
These manufacturers want to extract as much as they can from a product lifecycle. The Sony A7ii is again a 24mp camera, albeit with sensor shift and sensor shift that work in unison with an attached OIS lens - which is probably the bigger story for Sony.
I think it's hard to overstate what a huge story that is for Sony. 5-axis full frame sensor shift, compatibility with almost every piece of manual glass... Yes please!

QuoteQuote:
Most professionals are more than happy with 20-24 mp in 35mm. The 36mp was supposed to rival medium format, I dont think it did even when MF was using CCD sensors (except high ISO). Now that medium format is using CMOS sensors, they wont necessarilly be threatened by a 36 mp or higher 35mm camera.
Yes, bigger is more or less just better. You're really starting to see a lot of interesting action in the digital MF field - first the 645D, now the 645Z, Sony/Zeiss and Mamiya are rumored to be collaborating on a mirrorless chassis, etc. APS-C has hit the wall in terms of diffraction and that's the obvious way forward.
11-22-2014, 01:30 PM   #168

I would definitely be in the market for more resolution. search on Google for 645Z Flickr and check the pictures out. There are some amazing detailed portraits and photos. Lots of night scenes too and what really amazed me was that most of the pictures were taken outside not in the studio. I had this weird notion that medium format was used for products and studios only. But heck no!! People use it outdoors. Haha anyways I'm all in on possibilities of more resolution.
12-15-2014, 01:37 AM   #169

I don't really care if Ricoh releases a camera with this sensor or the D600 sensor

--------------------------------------------------------------

12-27-2014, 07:09 PM   #170
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Hmmm... looks like it's mainly about the K30...
The K-01 would probably be the last camera to be touched by such a project... it's definitely niche...
LoL... "Shodan"... memories!
A K30 is really just a K-01 with a mirror and an OVF.
12-28-2014, 12:36 AM   #171
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
A K30 is really just a K-01 with a mirror and an OVF.
Even if firmware differences are minimal, I bet there's gonna be some work involved in adapting one mod to another (albeit similar camera), in the Android world we see that everyday... and if it's not mainstream, then the chances it's taken into consideration for a mod decrease...
On the plus side, it's one of the few (the only?) Pentax camera with stereo mic - change the recording format to uncompressed (if at all possible) and it suddenly gets more appeal...