Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2014, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Far North Qld
Posts: 3,294
I still can't get my head around 'manufacturing' 1 million microscopic photosensors on a tiny chip let alone 50 million !!
A technical and manufacturing marvel to be sure. Seems a waste to me when the human eye only really equates to 7Mp at the point of acuity



10-17-2014, 02:17 PM   #17
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: France
Photos: Albums
Posts: 804
QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
It's a good thing that memory prices are going down and memory density going up. At this rate the 2 memory slots of the K-3 will be inadequate and obsolete; its FF successor will need 4! Or perhaps a built in hard disk... solid state, of course.
I have 2 32 GB SD cards on my K3 and I must say, I have never wrote anything on the second slot. SD card capacity is not an issue. May be write speed is. The interest of such a high pixel density is to avoid moiré issues on these AA filterless cameras. I have sometimes experienced moiré on birds Feather with the K5iis (and a high quality prime as the FA*600), never with the K3
10-17-2014, 02:28 PM   #18
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,836
Sony has made sensors before that Pentax wouldn't buy into because of poor performance, let's see what type of image comes from this product before we start going all crazy.
10-17-2014, 02:35 PM   #19
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Zagreb
Posts: 102
It wouldnt make any sence to produce FF camera with same MP count as your flagship MF beast. I don't think people in Ricoh/Pentax would like to see 645z sale numbers going down the hill.....

10-17-2014, 04:57 PM   #20
Veteran Member
disconnekt's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 504
I would get it if they had a Foveon-type sensor in the FF camera, then I could see it being at 50MP or so.
As I see it, having a 50MP FF camera would cut into their sales of their 645D/645Z.
10-17-2014, 05:03 PM   #21
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,240
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Sony has made sensors before that Pentax wouldn't buy into because of poor performance, let's see what type of image comes from this product before we start going all crazy.
It isn't new sensor tech, though. Basically, they are taking K3 sensor tech to a full frame level, just as they did taking K5/D7000 sensor tech to the D800. It isn't hard to extrapolate performance based on that. Slight worse DR than the D800, slightly worse high iso performance from the D800, more resolution. I wouldn't take the trade off personally -- not on full frame. As I said before, the reason to go with the K3 over the K5 doesn't have to do with the sensor (which is fine), but the other things that the K3 does better than the K5.
10-17-2014, 05:17 PM   #22
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
I have 2 32 GB SD cards on my K3 and I must say, I have never wrote anything on the second slot. SD card capacity is not an issue. May be write speed is. The interest of such a high pixel density is to avoid moiré issues on these AA filterless cameras. I have sometimes experienced moiré on birds Feather with the K5iis (and a high quality prime as the FA*600), never with the K3
Well since the pixels of these 50mp are bigger then K-3, the output can be cleaner. Time fot UHS-II writespeed and bigger cards.


To be honest, I'm not waiting for this thing.
10-17-2014, 09:36 PM   #23
Site Supporter
altopiet's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Karoo, South Africa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,927
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
I cannot open the link...
For one reason or another if I copy and paste the link, part of the link disappears, but it is at __

10-17-2014, 09:41 PM   #24
Site Supporter
altopiet's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Karoo, South Africa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,927
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deni Quote
Probably full link: www(dot)photographybay(dot)com/2014/10/12/sony-50mp-full-frame-sensors-coming-in-2015/
Yes, for some reason the name of the site disappears when you post it, doesn't matter if in a link or just the name alone....
10-18-2014, 04:59 AM   #25
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,836
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well since the pixels of these 50mp are bigger then K-3, the output can be cleaner. Time fot UHS-II writespeed and bigger cards.


To be honest, I'm not waiting for this thing.
One you get to 50 MP on APS-c your diffraction limit is getting up into the blue spectrum, and you're already going to be experiencing serious diffraction in the red yellow and green spectrum at ƒ5.6. Your diffraction limit will be ƒ4... it will be interesting to see what the effect of such a sensor might be... but I'm not sure it will be all good. I'm not sure going to 24 MP has been all good.
10-18-2014, 06:07 AM   #26
Site Supporter
dakight's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,178
50 mp on a FF sensor means a pixel density roughly equivalent to 20 mp on an aps-c sensor. The pixel density is not a serious issue really. It will put more stress on processing and memory capacity but I doubt that's a serious limiting factor. Other issues of performance will determine whether it's worthwhile or not. The SR technology that Pentax uses may not scale well to Full Frame and the may be other issues such as heat that will have to be addressed. My guess is that these are the things that have thus far held up the introduction of the FF Pentax, not a lack of suitable sensors.


As other have alluded, there are also marketing issue. Pentax does not want to disturb the market niche of the 645 medium format product which is by all accounts a bright spot for them. They will be very careful how, where and when they insert a FF body into the lineup. To drop in a full-featured, high performance body at a lower price point could very well damage the higher tier 645 market and there would be no point in trying to sell it at or near the same price. The technical issues are relatively minor compared with the marketing issues..
10-18-2014, 06:17 AM   #27
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,836
After feeling less than excited after going from 16-24 MP, I simply an not going to pay for 50 MP. I will pay for better noise reduction, better Dynamic range, better low light performance. 24 Mp is not noticeably better than 16 MP for everything I've done since I bought the K-3. Trying to sell me a 50 MP camera that doesn't have the low light capacity of a 645z is simply not going to be a go, whichever camera company it is. Image size will definitely not be a factor in my next purchase.

At some point Sony has to realize, before you start selling 50 MP camera, there have to be output devices that can take advantage of it.
10-18-2014, 10:03 AM   #28
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,893
QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
It's a good thing that memory prices are going down and memory density going up. At this rate the 2 memory slots of the K-3 will be inadequate and obsolete; its FF successor will need 4! Or perhaps a built in hard disk... solid state, of course.

I get 64GB cards now for about the same amount of money I was paying for 8 GB cards in 2010 or whatever year it was. So I guess I should have a 8*16 = 128 MP camera.

---------- Post added 10-18-14 at 10:04 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Trying to sell me a 50 MP camera that doesn't have the low light capacity of a 645z is simply not going to be a go
Hopefully it'll be a K-mount camera, so it will outperform the 645Z in low light.
10-18-2014, 10:34 AM   #29
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
After feeling less than excited after going from 16-24 MP, I simply an not going to pay for 50 MP. I will pay for better noise reduction, better Dynamic range, better low light performance. 24 Mp is not noticeably better than 16 MP for everything I've done since I bought the K-3. Trying to sell me a 50 MP camera that doesn't have the low light capacity of a 645z is simply not going to be a go, whichever camera company it is. Image size will definitely not be a factor in my next purchase.

At some point Sony has to realize, before you start selling 50 MP camera, there have to be output devices that can take advantage of it.
I don't think that going this route would be very succesfull. With larger pixels, like 645Z sensor (30,7 megapixel on FF) or K-5 (38,2 megapixel on FF) you get more then enough pixels. If you want to go the route of "as many as possible" then I guess that you wil have a very niche camera.
10-18-2014, 01:49 PM   #30
Veteran Member
jsherman999's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,228
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
After feeling less than excited after going from 16-24 MP,
Within aps-c

QuoteQuote:
...I simply an not going to pay for 50 MP. I will pay for better noise reduction, better Dynamic range, better low light performance.
What if you buy better noise performance, better dynamic range and get 50MP as a bonus?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
24x36mm, 50mp full frame, 645z, aps-c, camera, cameras, cards, dng, drives, ff, format, frame sensors, full-frame, hope, images, jpg, k-3 sensor, light, link, memory, mp, pentax, sensor, sony, sony 50mp, tif, website
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Photokina 2014: Ricoh confirm full frame camera is coming in 2015 Mistral75 Pentax News and Rumors 671 01-29-2015 08:45 AM
Full Frame in 2015 fwbigd Pentax Full Frame 90 10-24-2014 04:41 PM
Fuji will release a Full Frame X-PRO 2 in 2015! jogiba Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 8 04-06-2014 10:24 AM
Sony Full Frame mirrorless prototypes still being tested, coming in mid 2014 jogiba Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 17 02-17-2013 10:31 AM
Sony Mirrorless Full Frame coming Winder Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 9 12-21-2012 11:05 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:21 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top