Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35 Likes Search this Thread
11-06-2014, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the K3 outperforms most of the Canon FF lineup at a fraction of the price, it's also quieter and you'd need to go to 5 d for the feature set. for the price of a 5d mk3 and a couple of lenses you could have the K3 the 18-35 sigma, the 55 Pentax and a 77 ltd
if you grabbed a k5iis instead you coulsd probably sneak in a 4th lens for whjat a FF switch will cost (4400 or so with the 5d and the 50 1.4 and 85 1.8 - bot even great lenses arguably the Pentax kit would have far better glass)
I just went through this I opted for Fuji because it suited my needs (I still have a Pentax kit of sorts) Ifor about the same price as the 5diii with a couple of mediocre primes I got 5 primes and 3 of them are fast and tough to beat, and with an adapter I can of course use any other glass for the most part. . A flip of the coin would have had me rebuilding the Pentax system instead and in your position I likely would have done that.

11-06-2014, 02:39 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can also vouch that Pentax K-3 outperforms some Canon FF by a wide margin (checked by myself). Also I can not see too much difference between Nikon D800 (friend has it) and K-3 performance when we shoot together. The only thing that both Canon and Nikon has much better than Pentax is flash management. Pentax has a long way to go to get there but this is the only thing. Other than that low light performance is better on Nikon but you have to spend big chunk of cash there for sure.

BTW I know that you don't have K-3 but I have just K-5II and K-3, therefore I can share just my experience with those cameras.
11-06-2014, 03:04 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote
I have 35mm 2.4 and 50mm 1.8 and I used as well Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art and I can vouch that you wont regret if you get the Sigma. Sharpness on the Sigma lens is just unbelievable and if you blow up the pics there will be clear difference. Color cast is very good and auto-focus is just fine on K-3 (also silent). Will take few micro-adjustments for AF to be locked on but then it is spot on. On my K-3 had a nice balance while I have battery grip installed but just on the K-3 it is nose heavy and slightly difficult to handle (my uncle experience, who on my suggestion got himself K-3 and this lens... switched from Canon and Zeiss lens and never regret it. He just raves about quality of the K-3 an Sigma combo). Hope this will help. :-)

Here is the lens I was talking about and review as well. IMHO this is the best combo for Pentax.
Review: Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM "Art" - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Hello RAART, thank you for this. I've just read the review of the sigma 35mm f1.4 and really, really want it! I know it's described as an 'affordable' lens for the serious photographer but still a lot for me but I'm going to try to raise some funds. All of these replies now make me love my K30 even more and upgrade the lens.... I'm sure we can do great things Thanks so much.

---------- Post added 11-06-14 at 10:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
the K3 outperforms most of the Canon FF lineup at a fraction of the price, it's also quieter and you'd need to go to 5 d for the feature set. for the price of a 5d mk3 and a couple of lenses you could have the K3 the 18-35 sigma, the 55 Pentax and a 77 ltd
if you grabbed a k5iis instead you coulsd probably sneak in a 4th lens for whjat a FF switch will cost (4400 or so with the 5d and the 50 1.4 and 85 1.8 - bot even great lenses arguably the Pentax kit would have far better glass)
I just went through this I opted for Fuji because it suited my needs (I still have a Pentax kit of sorts) Ifor about the same price as the 5diii with a couple of mediocre primes I got 5 primes and 3 of them are fast and tough to beat, and with an adapter I can of course use any other glass for the most part. . A flip of the coin would have had me rebuilding the Pentax system instead and in your position I likely would have done that.
Thanks Eddie for your opinion. I'm so close to considering switching systems but many here are helping me to counter this. I think I will carry on with my pentax system for the moment and think about upgrading another time in the future. For now, a new lens will probably be my choice.
11-06-2014, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Whelan Quote
Hello all.
My K30 is now 2 years old, works perfectly, just cosmetic wear&tear. However, I want to step up in my photography as I'm doing more family shoots, portraits and paid work. Whilst I'm proud of my photos from the K30, I can't help but feel I need to upgrade to a camera with more *cough* 'professional' features (quieter, less noise, Full Frame).

Or, my second option is to upgrade lenses. I currently shoot with 50 1.8 and 35mm 2.4 (ie cheap but cheerful) and best photos come from the 50mm) but need something a little wider... I REALLY want the 35mm 1.4. Since that lens would put me back about £650.... I'm not sure whether to just be patient, wait and put the money towards a full frame camera - maybe next year if I can afford.

What would you do or what are you doing if in a similar situation?

Many thanks,
Julie
Hi Julie

Pentax FF may not be that far off.
Having said that, the K-3 is a superb camera certainly as capable as most FF cameras out there.
I'm holding out for Pentax FF, but in the mean time, any good glass is not likely to be a waste as there's no compelling reason for Pentax to move away from K-mount.
That's my view anyway.

I have written to Ricoh and they have confirmed, in reply, that they are working on a FF camera. That's why I'm waiting. (I got tired of all the rumours so decided to write and I actually got a polite answer from Japan.)

Kind regards,
Mark

11-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Hi Julie

Pentax FF may not be that far off.
Having said that, the K-3 is a superb camera certainly as capable as most FF cameras out there.
I'm holding out for Pentax FF, but in the mean time, any good glass is not likely to be a waste as there's no compelling reason for Pentax to move away from K-mount.
That's my view anyway.

I have written to Ricoh and they have confirmed, in reply, that they are working on a FF camera. That's why I'm waiting. (I got tired of all the rumours so decided to write and I actually got a polite answer from Japan.)

Kind regards,
Mark
Thanks for the reply Mark, and the reassurance. this conversation has moved me to be nearly fully certain to not switch cameras at the moment. I really think what I need is a new lens and a good one. really leaning towards the Sigma 35mm 1.4 ART
11-06-2014, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

thank you so much Aurele! You make me question the need to upgrade my camera and I think that is what I am wondering myself. thanks much for the list of lenses to check out. I like the sound of the older 35/1.4 DG and the 30/1.4 DC. I will go off now to compare prices!
I asked the question about the camera because sometimes we just want to upgrade because we think we "have to", even if upgrading don't bring anything specific.

About the lens, i've just read that the 30/1.4 DC exist in "Art" series and in "EX" serie (the "EX" series is the previous serie of premium lens ... well the ex-serie ). Both are good value for the price.

Just try the lens before you get it : sometimes lenses can be sharp, but the rendering can be "unpleasant" (bokeh being to harsh or to buttery, color cast, or color rendition, micro-contrast, etc ... can have character we dont like all).

And yes to post processing improvements. I, too, have learned a lot in the past couple of years. I mainly work in Lightroom but am going to try my hand at photoshop. I'm not a big photoshopper but there are things some customers want that I need to adhere to (eg airbrushing if they request).
Post-processing is often the key between to shots well framed and exposed, but one is average, the other is stunning.
The PP can be split between everything related to exposure (curves, histogrammes, colors, etc ...) and retouching (remove hairs, sharpening, add things, change face size, etc ...). The first can really easily give you great improvements, the second is harder to master but can give really good results too.
Make sure you master the first, the second will be then easier to get right.
11-06-2014, 04:15 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the reply Mark, and the reassurance. this conversation has moved me to be nearly fully certain to not switch cameras at the moment. I really think what I need is a new lens and a good one. really leaning towards the Sigma 35mm 1.4 ART
I've been told more than once that good glass is really important. One of my best lenses is also my cheapest - My Pentax-M 50mm F1:1.7.

11-06-2014, 04:40 PM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I've been told more than once that good glass is really important. One of my best lenses is also my cheapest - My Pentax-M 50mm F1:1.7.
yes! my best/favourite lens is the relatively cheap 50mm 1.8. I use it all the time. I love the 1.8 aperture. This is why I'd like a 35mm with a similar so looking at 35mm 1.4 which is very expensive for me but think it would be worth it as I do a lot of family shoots, events and portraits. Hoping this lens could do everything. Meanwhile, I'll stick with the 50mm, it gives great results.

---------- Post added 11-06-14 at 11:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
I asked the question about the camera because sometimes we just want to upgrade because we think we "have to", even if upgrading don't bring anything specific.

About the lens, i've just read that the 30/1.4 DC exist in "Art" series and in "EX" serie (the "EX" series is the previous serie of premium lens ... well the ex-serie ). Both are good value for the price.

Just try the lens before you get it : sometimes lenses can be sharp, but the rendering can be "unpleasant" (bokeh being to harsh or to buttery, color cast, or color rendition, micro-contrast, etc ... can have character we dont like all).

Post-processing is often the key between to shots well framed and exposed, but one is average, the other is stunning.
The PP can be split between everything related to exposure (curves, histogrammes, colors, etc ...) and retouching (remove hairs, sharpening, add things, change face size, etc ...). The first can really easily give you great improvements, the second is harder to master but can give really good results too.
Make sure you master the first, the second will be then easier to get right.
thanks again Aurele, I will take your advice and try before I buy.
11-06-2014, 04:48 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I think you have very good idea of what makes good/great photos... however, most of the photos shown in your album are not sharp, is it my monitor?
11-06-2014, 04:50 PM - 1 Like   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Julie, like you I have the K-30, and the Sigma 35mm Art is terrific on it.

On APS-C, the FoV is that classic subject-plus-environment, and you can open up aperture to isolate what you're pointing at with focus.

On FF, the view becomes wider and suddenly 50mm might become your most important length.

Last edited by clackers; 11-06-2014 at 07:07 PM.
11-06-2014, 05:03 PM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the general direction of the advice is to upgrade your lens - I would second that.

Even more since you are not really in an either-or situation at this point: There is no Pentax FF, so if you go full frame you need to replace your lenses as well.

I have had (and broken) a K3. I am getting one again - because today I got the great news that my insurance provided stupidity coverage (again). The K3 is the best camera I have owned, and I personally have no need for full frame any time soon. There is still plenty of room for upgrades in the current Pentax bodies - but I also advice beginning with a new lens.

If you are looking for something versatile that would give you an IQ upgrade, I just bought the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8, and from what I have seen of it so far, it is a great lens for the price.
11-06-2014, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
One point you might want to consider as well is that the lenses will generally hold their value...and be of use to you whenever you upgrade your body, but bodies in the digital age, eventually become obsolete......so lenses are generally a better investment and will improve the quality of your shot significantly,
11-06-2014, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Julie, one thing to consider when considering switching systems is whether or not image stabilization is useful to you. Sometimes I'm tempted to switch, then I consider the paucity of stabilized primes in other systems (APS-C and FF) and the urge to switch withers on the vine.

Also, its good to remember that the APS-C cameras of today perform comparably to the FF cameras of yesteryear.
11-06-2014, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
I have had (and broken) a K3. I am getting one again - because today I got the great news that my insurance provided stupidity coverage (again). The K3 is the best camera I have owned, and I personally have no need for full frame any time soon. .
How did you manage to break it?
11-06-2014, 08:28 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter

I'd almost get the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 if I were you. It is fast, sharp, and gets you going really nicely on the wide end of things. You should also be able to sell it for nearly what you paid for it if you decide it isn't for you.