Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2014, 11:48 AM   #16
osv
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
that was helpful feedback, thx, i've never used an autofocus lens on the a7r, and i've never shot in autoexposure mode.

you don't need a battery pack, two batts and a charger are less than $30 on amazon, and they work well... just gotta watch the charge meter.

the a7r shutter noise is like shooting with a medium format camera! lol... that noise is liable to be noticeable on video.

but if you are going to compare distractions, shooting the pentax with a flash is pretty bad, especially if it's done during the ceremony... plus, flash looks horrible on video.

a7s would be the way to go, silent shutter and possibly no flash at all.

the other plus with those sonys is that the video is clean... i was hired to shoot video at a wedding a couple of weeks ago, and the a7r blew away the two other cameras we were using... the only downside was no parfocal zoom lens :-(

11-09-2014, 12:58 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
that was helpful feedback, thx, i've never used an autofocus lens on the a7r, and i've never shot in autoexposure mode.

you don't need a battery pack, two batts and a charger are less than $30 on amazon, and they work well... just gotta watch the charge meter.

the a7r shutter noise is like shooting with a medium format camera! lol... that noise is liable to be noticeable on video.

but if you are going to compare distractions, shooting the pentax with a flash is pretty bad, especially if it's done during the ceremony... plus, flash looks horrible on video.

a7s would be the way to go, silent shutter and possibly no flash at all.

the other plus with those sonys is that the video is clean... i was hired to shoot video at a wedding a couple of weeks ago, and the a7r blew away the two other cameras we were using... the only downside was no parfocal zoom lens :-(
a side note on this...

1st off there was no video this time around and if there was I'm sure I would have been more mindful if there was. The Pentax with flash during the ceremony was used under 15 times and the flash was used to fill harsh shadows. There realistically would be no way to use the pentax with no flash without cranking up the ISO past 800 maybe even 1600 thus creating noisy photos while the Sony was keeping me around ISO 200 ! (pretty sick)

the a7s at 13 mp I'm sure does not hang close to the k5iis with the price point but I may be biased saying that. If you are going to buy and do video I highly suggest that route but I am a photographer only. and I would rather have a K5IIS, a K3 and a limited lens and tamron zoom for the price of the a7s.

two batteries is what I had but in no means is it efficient to change in the swing of things especially if your in the moment. It's a legit flaw to me.
11-09-2014, 09:06 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Any questions?
11-10-2014, 10:33 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
new info... the Landscape test full frame Sony Rx1 vs Pentax K30 and old sigma 30mm > $800 vs $2700

before the sun arises the Sony pulled away in low light performance
After the sun Peaked out The Pentax pulled ahead with the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 while the sony fell behind with the fixed zeiss 35mm prime f/2 lens

here are two examples edited the same in lightroom...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pentaxhero/15760781141/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pentaxhero/15572031958/in/photostream/

and here is the A7R with the very sought after 55 f/1.8

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pentaxhero/15739007056/

Last edited by ClinchShots; 11-10-2014 at 10:42 PM.
11-18-2014, 10:26 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ClinchShots Quote
okay pros /cons in depth for the A7R

I can put the A7R in auto mode and it will do all the tough work for me, It adjusts on the fly from landscape to portrait to backlit portrait and the pictures look flawless with great color rendition and the focus system was great at picking up faces and keeping multiple people in focus. I went to manual and ap priority and did manual adjustments but auto mode shooting in raw was flawless and very easy to use on the fly. On my pentax system if I put it in auto the pictures would be too dark and I'd see a lot of silhouettes, with Pentax I had to stay in manual and make constant adjustments. I was under a veranda so no direct sunlight, where I think the pentax would have kept up it was just a lot more difficult and time consuming to get a shot right on the pentax while I could fly through it with the A7r.

The 70-200 was epic and produced great images but for the cost I feel like they need to make it f/2.8 (it's f/4) and give it enough to use in a low low light situation. it was incredibly fast focusing and spot on every time

The battery life on the A7R was trash compared to Pentax. I shot for a little over 1.5 hours and that burned through a full charge while Pentax k5IIS I could go 5 hours easily. I feel like you need to buy a battery grip which is an extra expense on an already expensive set up.

with flash indoors with little ambient light the Pentax with my 30 f/1.4 holds its own with the Sony and the 55 f/1.8 while the sony pulls away fast outdoors Pentax indoors to me pulled ahead (which many weddings are held indoors for at least half of the event)

I took more keepers with the Pentax here than the sony

last con... The A7r is incredibly loud. There is no way to sneak candids when everyone can hear you coming with the shutter slap. I love shooting candids at weddings so I used my Pentax set up for this and on the K5iis the shutter seems to whisper compared to the Sony

editing for the A7r is very easy and lightroom makes little to no adjustments my edit from yesterday is nearly done on the 600 photos I took on the a7r (5 hour wedding) I took about 400 on my Pentax systems and my second shooter took about 500

skin tones look better on the K5iis and K30, while the A7R makes people look a bit pale white and needs PP adjustment a lot

the A7R is incredibly sharp at 100% crop... a lot like the K5iis but better and imo less miore effect

overall I'd love to own the A7R but it has it's limitations and I need to dive in deeper with it maybe with shoot 5-6 more weddings before I'm sold on it
I think I could make do with my current Pentax set up. The A7r pulls ahead in many areas but Pentax hangs close in others and for the value margin that's a big deal. Once I'm through the edit I will post comparison pictures
his is a lot of useful information. I have both cameras and take advantage of each camera strong points. Thanks for the post.
11-18-2014, 04:18 PM   #21
Pentaxian

After the sun Peaked out The Pentax pulled ahead with the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 while the sony fell behind with the fixed zeiss 35mm prime f/2 lens
This surprises me.
11-18-2014, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #22
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Am I ready for full frame?
Aye, as long as your not holding your breath waiting, otherwise you could be long life expired.
12-02-2014, 02:18 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

well I have another wedding tomorrow and I'm sure as hell going to find out

My equipment:

Pentax k30 with a sigma 30 f/1.4
Pentax k5IIS with a tamron 28-75 f/2.8
100 macro
50-135 f/2.8

My borrowed equipment
Sony A7R
70-200 f/4 stabilized
55 f/1.8
Sigma Art 35
100 mm Macro
20mm f/2.8

wish me luck...

reviews an comparisons to come:

I have done quite a few events and weddings with the k5iis and I think the quality images it will produce will hang with the A7r (not blown up 5ft x 5ft though)

I guess we will see.
There will be a switch between using APS-C field of view or full frame. Nikon did the same some years ago and still does with APS-C lenses... we are all ready, just some people are more ready than others.

12-06-2014, 05:13 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
well I bought a K3 instead of switching systems.... I couldn't pass up the $650 used price on KEH

1 more year in crop for me

---------- Post added 12-06-14 at 07:15 PM ----------

The 31mm would be a sick sick addition to my lineup!