Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2014, 04:22 AM   #76
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There are emotional factors that no one seems to talk about but that they exist is evident from the fervor of this debate, in this thread and many other regarding the FF format. Many people will buy FF not really knowing or even caring what advantage it will give them. Maybe they can quote the so-called "experts" or the latest marketing hype but when it comes down to pointing it out on an image they (myself included) would be hard pressed to do so. Pentax enthusiasts are much like Mopar car nuts (of which I am also one) in that they know that they are decidedly in the minority and they are painfully aware of their favorite brand's shortcomings but they invariably come back to it purchase after purchase. Never underestimate the emotional factors.

12-09-2014, 01:44 AM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That's not relevant to a large number of people, because we shoot in low light for DoF, as in sunsets and sunrises. A lot of us din't care about low light performance in terms of wide open, we care about low light performance at 5.6 or 8. People seem to forget, many of us are not interested in shooting much at large apertures. The technical limitations of doing so, in terms of narrow DoF make it unattractive. For us, 1.8 is rarely used even if we have it. For most of my images even 2.8 is un-acceptable. These general types of blanket statements are usually dismissive of whole portions of the photographic community, acting as if the niche is the norm.

You have a good point though, in that so many FF shooters are so tied to the narrow DoF thing, they simply aren't candidates to move to a larger format. 35mm is the sweet spot, for that type of shooter.

Read through this thread, you won't find many complaints about no 1.4 lenses, but then, these are MF shooters. Not everyone even wants to shoot MF. Some guys think MF should be 35mm only better, and that we all strive to shoot in total darkness with fast lenses. And that is an unwise assumption. Read through this thread and what you'll find is a completely different mindset. Lets not forget, the guys pushing the whole FF mindset, razor thin DoF with fast lenses, don't make MF cameras. FF is their top of the line. They are using their resources to make sure most FF shooters never understand the need for FF. It would cost them business. True MFers are finding their way, despite their efforts. And true FF shooters are still acting like MF is just FF but not as good. <cough> morons <cough>.

Used the way MF shooters use it, the Pentaxz 645z easily surpasses the low light performance of the hi res FF cameras.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/48-pentax-medium-format/87027-post-your-m...hotos-414.html
The only way to have better lowlight performance in a system is when it has a larger virtual aperture
So cropped 645 to have the same lowlight performance as a FF 24 F1.4 you would need 30 F1.8
FF 30mm 1.4 --- 645 40 mm F1.8
FF 50mm F1.2--- 645 60mm F 1.5
FF85 F1.4 --- 645 100mm F 1.8
FF 200mm F2 --- 645 250mm F2.6
So could you please direct me to these lenses?
12-09-2014, 02:59 AM   #78
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Saying "no" is impolite in Japanese culture.
I didn't know that...
02-04-2015, 06:58 PM   #79

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I told you so....hehe. so happy that's it's official now.

02-06-2015, 11:28 AM - 1 Like   #80
Veteran Member

I just wish the new FF Pentax will have TTL and my 280T Flash will be in active service again. I just love its power and sturdiness.
All my lenses are FF too as shown below. My most updated body is k20d. Upgrading to the new FF Pentax is most logical for me
02-06-2015, 02:07 PM   #81

Will Ricoh invest in more advertising and presence of their Pentax camera hardware at the local stores? It's just maybe hard to find Pentax cameras at some dedicated shops that are selling DSLR hardware. Also what are they doing about marketing and Pentax ambassadors? Will it still stay the underdog brand?
02-06-2015, 07:19 PM   #82
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by George79 Quote
Will Ricoh invest in more advertising and presence of their Pentax camera hardware at the local stores? It's just maybe hard to find Pentax cameras at some dedicated shops that are selling DSLR hardware. Also what are they doing about marketing and Pentax ambassadors? Will it still stay the underdog brand?
When I bought my beloved MX back in 1980-81, Pentax had a serious presence at the local camera store I purchased my camera from.

With everything gone cyber crazy, perhaps a new way of presenting in brick-n-mortar is in order. I have suggested a similar strategy for another unrelated product/brand to make them stand out in a crowded marketplace.

If it is a dog fight, then Ricoh/Pentax need to roll up their sleeves and get in the ring!!
02-07-2015, 01:05 PM   #83
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johan kruger Quote
I told you so....hehe. so happy that's it's official now.
Good call Johan. People close to distribution channels must have been getting some signals, so some of rumors clearly founded on these.