11-09-2014, 10:55 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
well, you should prepare a big one...

11-09-2014, 11:12 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No one will ever really know if it will happen and for how much, until it actually comes out and has a price tag on it. Its been "announced" several times and folks are still waiting...

11-09-2014, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I'm pretty much as uninterested in a FF camera as my squirrels.......However, there is one question some of you FF Guru Experts might answer for me....
Does a squirrel shot with a FF taste more....or less.... like chicken?

Regards!
11-09-2014, 12:09 PM   #34
Pentaxian

They've had month to stick glass in that barrel, what the Sam Hill are they doing? Someone tell them to get the lead out.

OH wait, they already got the lead out... well tell them to get there ED glass out.

11-09-2014, 12:40 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would guess that pricing would be in the ballpark of whatever it is with which they are trying to compete. It might make sense to undercut some to gain a foothold in the market but it would be self-defeating to charge a large premium. If they can't sell it at a competitive price point then it makes no sense from a business standpoint no matter how compelling the technical arguments might be. "Loss Leaders" do occur, but they are usually at the low end and are used to gain an opportunity to upsell but they will have no premium model as the target of an upsell opportunity. Just a quick glance I see the Nikon/Canon offerings beginning at $1500 - $2000; expect the Pentax equivalent to be in the same range. Any lower would hurt the aps-c offerings, much higher and it won't be attractive to prospective purchasers unless it is clearly and demonstrably superior technically. Having said all that, we won't really know until it is announced.
11-09-2014, 12:46 PM   #36
Veteran Member

If pentax can make a D810 equivalent at a D610 price then they will do well. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were able to do that.
11-09-2014, 02:27 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you go to the Pentax/Richo website you will find that they are pretty much committed to the 645Z As a matter of fact the 645D was put out to rival full frame cameras like the Nikon, Sony and Canon not Hassleblad and Mamiya. I don't see anything wrong with this philosophy. I don't think Pentax really wants to get into a Full Frame megapixel war with Sony, Canon and Nikon. Not at this time anyway. The 645Z sort of even things out.

11-09-2014, 04:05 PM   #38
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
A Pentax FF will make me richer and even more famous than I am already, even possibly overnight in the best case scenario.
Now you've gone and done it! Otis is claiming that if a FF can make you even more richer and famous, just imagine what it can do for Otis! I'll have to spend all winter trying to convince him that he doesn't need a FF Pentax...or I could make it easy on myself and just promise him one when Pentax delivers......and tell him to hold his breath in the meantime!
Regards!
11-09-2014, 04:43 PM   #39
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
A Pentax FF will make me richer and even more famous than I am already, even possibly overnight in the best case scenario.
But you'll need to have a 24 hour guard on that lens collection.
11-11-2014, 10:07 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Written somewhere in a Ricoh's Sales Manual...

"If crazy people come to you asking the same question over and over, don't say anything... just smile"

Am I ready for FF?
Lens-wise, I think so, but I have 4 lenses in my "want to get" list. All are full frame.
Money wise? Not at all. By 2016, maybe. But it's in my future roadmap...
11-12-2014, 05:58 AM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by johan kruger Quote
hi

Well in least in my mind semi confirmed. I was at the Photo and film expo in South Africa and spoke to some of the reps at the stand. (PS awesome stand and nice support taking into account Nikon pulled from the show at the last second and might a lot of people upset). I was just in general talking trying to find out what this lens http://news.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/rim_info/2_telephotozoomlens_photokina2014.jpg. is

The Rep could not confirm what it is but when I asked if this was a new full frame 70-200 F2.8 lens I did get a big smile. (might not mean much). I also asked if they are then working on a 24-70 F2.8 but was just met with smiles. So I'm hopeful to some announcement in the not to distend future. As I have a few good FA* lenses I am looking forward to this. I also tried to get a date and is thinking this will happen next year.

PS the other lens might be a 150-400 as per the lens roadmap
Of course Pentax could be quite perverse and release a DA 70-200/2.8.
11-12-2014, 02:12 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
If you go to the Pentax/Richo website you will find that they are pretty much committed to the 645Z As a matter of fact the 645D was put out to rival full frame cameras like the Nikon, Sony and Canon not Hassleblad and Mamiya. I don't see anything wrong with this philosophy. I don't think Pentax really wants to get into a Full Frame megapixel war with Sony, Canon and Nikon. Not at this time anyway. The 645Z sort of even things out.
IMHO that was Pentax biggest mistake.. when they started to think like that is when they start to lose high end custumers.. I can say that there is just a FEW people with APS-C that jump straight to MF, on the other hand, many advance APS-C users can and will jump to FF in the near future if they want to....

The thing here is that Pentax at this time doenst have nothing to equial a FF sensor quality for example the D750 or D810 .. and yes.. we do have the 645Z but, for how much?? do you really think that average K5ii, K50 or even K3 users will spend $10.000 + on camera equipment? i really dont think so.. But what if they can get a FF sensor for their FF lenses for lets say $2000 ..mmmm totally different story there.

If they dont do it at this time when is a good time?? :/ :/ thats the thing.. when?? Canikons have around 10 years on the FF market.. and we?? Actually our right time was 10 years ago. :/ :/ they cant keep thinking to wait for a good time cuz there will never be a good time, what is going to happen is that more and more high end APS-C users will switch to other brands because the lack of a FF body.
11-12-2014, 04:07 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
Canikons have around 10 years on the FF market
Canon went first in 2002, Nikon only became FF enthusiasts in 2007, Sony in 2008.

Pentax could probably have rolled out a FF using a Sony sensor around 2008 or 2009 - a FF K20D would have been nice - but was having corporate issues.
11-12-2014, 05:01 PM   #44
Veteran Member

When Hoya was in charge they simply didn't have the interest to develop the Pentax brand and compete. Ricoh seems to be more engaged and more interested in catching up and keeping pace with the industry. Canon and Nikon have always been the Big 2 and Sony was built on the remnants of Minolta after Konica-Minolta exited the business and sold the camera business to Sony.

In terms of market share for DSLRs, Pentax is 4th with 7% market share, behind Nikon, Canon and Sony. In terms of customer satisfaction as reported by JD Power, Pentax is number 1 with Canon and Nikon close behind. Pentax is able to compete and I believe they will do so but as with everything else it takes time. Maybe that's why the reps are smiling...
11-12-2014, 05:09 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Canon went first in 2002, Nikon only became FF enthusiasts in 2007, Sony in 2008.

Pentax could probably have rolled out a FF using a Sony sensor around 2008 or 2009 - a FF K20D would have been nice - but was having corporate issues.
Good data there.. so we have 13 years behind compared to Canon, 8 and 7 with Nikon and Sony.... why should Ricoh keep loosing time expecting for the "right time", i dont really get that.