Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2014, 05:33 PM   #1
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Could Pentax/Ricoh do it?

Do you think they could produce an FF 36mp camera with an ISO range of 50-104k? Could they do it with selectable crop factors? Could they put 4k video in it? The selectable AA filter? SR? All the things we are used to in our APSC Pentax cameras and then a little more? Do you think they could do all that for 2000-2400 dollars? Would they do that? What do you think?

11-10-2014, 05:36 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Leave 4K video out and I think they could definitely do it, especially at that price point.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-10-2014, 05:52 PM   #3
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Leave 4K video out and I think they could definitely do it, especially at that price point.
TBH for myself they could leave video out altogether and if they could deliver on the rest I would go ahead and buy one. I want to experience teh improved DR and noise people talk about, and I have glass that will work on one already.
11-10-2014, 05:59 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
TBH for myself they could leave video out altogether and if they could deliver on the rest I would go ahead and buy one. I want to experience teh improved DR and noise people talk about, and I have glass that will work on one already.
Nikon did that and people hated it. I don't think it'll fly these days.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-10-2014, 06:07 PM   #5
Forum Member

This. 4K video shouldn't be a priority in the brand's first ever FF offering. Everything else is not only possible, it's expected of a flagship Pentax camera. Think of all the features the K3 has plus a faster processor, more cross-type AF points, better high ISO performance (it's a FF sensor after all), even better weather sealing, and a higher-res screen. I tend to think that trademark Pentax features like compatibility with legacy lenses and the 100% viewfinder coverage would really shine in a FF body. The lenses would actually behave like they would on a 35mm camera and the large 100% viewfinder would be glorious to shoot with.
11-10-2014, 06:10 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Nikon did that and people hated it. I don't think it'll fly these days.
But Nikon also covered it in redundant dials and faux-retro styling. I don't think it was the lack of video that stillbirthed the Df...
11-10-2014, 06:26 PM   #7
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I don't understand all the retro styling stuff myself. Ohh, video would be fine, and hopefully of enough quality to attract that crowd to Pentax, but on my K5 I've only used like 5 minutes of it the whole time I've had it, and I have had my K5 for nearly 3 years now.

11-10-2014, 06:38 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
But Nikon also covered it in redundant dials and faux-retro styling. I don't think it was the lack of video that stillbirthed the Df...
The styling is polarizing indeed. I love it, but many people hate the shape of it. If I had to choose ANY FF body from either Canon or Nikon, in fact, I would be between the Df and the D800. The outrage caused by the lack of video is baffling to me. It's a DSLR. It's a professional tool for making photographs, not videos. It's a niche product starting with it's styling and features anyway.
11-10-2014, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

As many polls from Pentax users being both here and in DPR, the overwhelming results have shown that video is not an option that Pentaxian's really care about. I am sure there are a lot that like it, but to pay additional money to get it, they seem to want to pass and just get a video camera or smart phone. They seem to have purchased a camera to take pictures, not video so they don't care about it, myself included.
11-10-2014, 06:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I want interchangeable prisms on my FF Pentax. My biggest complaint about DSLRs is that I don't know of any where I can put a waist-level finder or -- better -- LX FC-1 (type) finder. Yeah, I know, that's what live view is for any all that jazz, but a removable prism also makes swapping the focusing screen simpler and helps with cleaning the viewfinder and mirror box.
11-10-2014, 07:50 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
I want interchangeable prisms on my FF Pentax. My biggest complaint about DSLRs is that I don't know of any where I can put a waist-level finder or -- better -- LX FC-1 (type) finder. Yeah, I know, that's what live view is for any all that jazz, but a removable prism also makes swapping the focusing screen simpler and helps with cleaning the viewfinder and mirror box.
Can't happen with the current overlay and display tech. The adjustments are simply to fine for sub-component systems like this anymore.

The articulating rear-LCD takes the WLF (but you need a 645z!).

I predict the K3s will have a rear LCD and built-in wi-fi (we hardly flu ya).

4k is overkill now because it will take 10 years for the same market that buys these units to have the processors to edit. Fewer and fewer people edit any video on non-mobile OS's.
11-10-2014, 09:46 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Leave 4K video out and I think they could definitely do it,
Pentax supporting 4K will have a lot to do with whether the image processing chipsets they use also offer that support. The current '7th generation' Fujitsu Milbeaut chip that powers the K-3 and 645Z doesn't do 4K video, so to support 4K Ricoh will need to either solder on some additional chips onto the K-3 mainboard, at least, or find a new imaging engine chip entirely for the FF. Thus 4K support may make engineering a Ricoh FF more complicated and expensive.

But then again, the '8th generation' Milbeaut chip is due about now, since the '7th generation' Milbeaut is over a year old. Maybe a new chip will support 4K, and Pentax could then quickly, easily and cheaply offer 4K video just by using that upgraded chip.

If you see any press releases from Fujitsu in the next few months about chips that support 4K, then that will increase the probability that a Pentax FF (and other new Pentaxes) will also be able to offer 4K video.
11-10-2014, 09:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Shouldn't you be the voice of reason in this thread ?
11-10-2014, 11:08 PM   #14

ok, my 2cents worth here would be that without 4k video I wont buy it.... my K3 has shot more video (ie over 100 hours of it) than stills in the last 3-6 months and if I'm spending the money on a FF I want it to give me the full package...
11-10-2014, 11:35 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axelm7 Quote
This. 4K video shouldn't be a priority in the brand's first ever FF offering. Everything else is not only possible, it's expected of a flagship Pentax camera.
Im on the same track... K3 features but some how improved.. like build in wifi, great image quality, TETHERING, something around 36MP, faster AF, crop mode... and all the other nice features that pentax have.. ergonomics, price, size, etc..