Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-12-2014, 08:43 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Does Ricoh gain more new customers with it's K-3 than it loses due to no full frame?
Hard to tell. There's always a flow of users - people moving in, people moving out, people moving sideways (keeping pentax but also using other brands), people moving out and then coming back... It's never a static picture.

11-12-2014, 08:53 AM   #32

So you're talking about 4K video in Pentax FF while nobody is sure that we will see FF Pentax at all.. haha little bit funny
11-12-2014, 10:10 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stickl Quote
So you're talking about 4K video in Pentax FF while nobody is sure that we will see FF Pentax at all.. haha little bit funny
Begone, ye of little faith !!
11-12-2014, 12:14 PM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Begone, ye of little faith !!
Haha I'm not little faith I just tried to be funny
I do believe we will see the FF early of 2015.

11-12-2014, 03:54 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stickl Quote
I do believe we will see the FF early of 2015.
Now you are on the true path. Stay strong and faithful.
11-16-2014, 10:25 AM   #36
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul MaudDib Quote
There's a lot of people on this forum who complain about high resolution sensors. 24mp, 36mp, 50mp - there isn't a high-res FF sensor they WON'T deem to be too high-performing for the plebs.

Real-world: a 16mp sensor is NOT acceptable for a flagship FF product in TYOOL 2015. 24mp is the standard at this point IF NOT HIGHER. My APS-C sensor can produce equal resolution to that grade of sensor - that's not a seriously viable product long term, I'd look for the 24/36mp re-release in a year's time.
That's true. It's gonna be either a 24 or a 36 MP, as Pentax uses Sony's sensors as well. Putting the 36 in there will also bring the fight to the A7R and D810, which would be pretty exciting.
11-17-2014, 12:49 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Im thinking more like a 36mp for the FF and also they will keep the 24mp with the high end APS-C ( k3ii etc etc ) ... thats my guess...

11-17-2014, 01:45 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Geez... Just quickly scrolling through this thread I get a: 2015 "flagship" camera without video, with a waiste level VF, exchangable prisms, focussing screens, viewfinder hoods and what not. The solution to all this seems to be: shooting film. Guys please stop trying to remove the D from DSLR. The bay seems to have everything you're after.
11-17-2014, 11:13 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Geez... Just quickly scrolling through this thread I get a: 2015 "flagship" camera without video, with a waiste level VF, exchangable prisms, focussing screens, viewfinder hoods and what not. The solution to all this seems to be: shooting film. Guys please stop trying to remove the D from DSLR. The bay seems to have everything you're after.
I can't see how "digital" and "nice MF-oriented features" are mutually exclusive concepts...
It's not only Pentaxians that think this way... Nikon found a market for the Df as well...
11-17-2014, 11:20 AM   #40
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I wouldn't know what to do with interchangeable prisms and viewfinders.
11-17-2014, 02:27 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I wouldn't know what to do with interchangeable prisms and viewfinders.
Nor would 99.875 % of modern users. Features that even most LX users never used.

Nowadays EVF's largely make this kind of hardware redundant anyhow.
11-17-2014, 02:46 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Nor would 99.875 % of modern users. Features that even most LX users never used.

Nowadays EVF's largely make this kind of hardware redundant anyhow.
Five years ago, not a chance.
Now, seeing how technology has progressed... I'd give an EVF a chance...
11-17-2014, 03:48 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's quite logical that current Pentax users have little need for class leading video, because current Pentax DSLRs don't deliver class leading video. Self-selection at work. That being said, it seems to me that a new Pentax camera - whether full frame or not - should be aimed not only at the existing Pentax user base, but also to attract new customers. To that effect, 4K video support would be a distinguishing feature that would put Pentax at the front of the pack. But based on recent executive statements, it's pretty clear that video isn't a priority at Ricoh. In the not too distant future however, we can expect that not having 4K support on a flagship product may put them in an awkward position... (See for example this interview with a Nikon manager at Photokina where he states: "In my opinion, 4K is too much. Our current movie functionality is enough for our users. But some of our competitors, like Panasonic and Sony are adding 4K so we should aim for the same level of functionality in order to compete.")
11-17-2014, 04:02 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
It's quite logical that current Pentax users have little need for class leading video, because current Pentax DSLRs don't deliver class leading video. Self-selection at work. That being said, it seems to me that a new Pentax camera - whether full frame or not - should be aimed not only at the existing Pentax user base, but also to attract new customers. To that effect, 4K video support would be a distinguishing feature that would put Pentax at the front of the pack. But based on recent executive statements, it's pretty clear that video isn't a priority at Ricoh. In the not too distant future however, we can expect that not having 4K support on a flagship product may put them in an awkward position... (See for example this interview with a Nikon manager at Photokina where he states: "In my opinion, 4K is too much. Our current movie functionality is enough for our users. But some of our competitors, like Panasonic and Sony are adding 4K so we should aim for the same level of functionality in order to compete.")
Wouldn't a FF be "too much" for video?
I mean... a FF nowadays (all the more if it's next year) just screams for higher pixel count (higher than 16MP at least... )...
How do you use excess resolution? pixel binning?
Seems to me that either you diversify like Sony has done with the a7 line, or you have too many things in a camera and can't possibly please everyone.
I'd like to have more latitude with color (chroma subsampling) than excess resolution in video...
12-21-2014, 08:53 AM   #45

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Honestly,

Ricoh Pentax has no need for a so called FF body, they could just release 645z for a price of Canon 5D mark3 and everyone would be happy.

TO exclude video is like shooting into your own feet. DO you think if Pentax didn;t had any kind of Video recording they would still be there in the market? I doubt it.

Sometimes I watch people who come to buy their I supposed first ever camera and one of the questions are: does this shoot full HD video in high quality?" and obviously that person won;t be filming anything else but their kittens eating on tables. and I would be surprised that this person even knows what is prime lens and how it differs from zoom lens. SO facts is, to keep on the market, video now must be considered for every DSLR. if no video, then this camera must be so unique that it woudl be worht the buyer to have it for stills only. Just keep in mind, 21century is the era of bridge imaging masters, the one has to do stills and video.