Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2014, 01:06 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Full Frame

Want a full frame dSLR with a K mount? Does it really need to be made by Pentax? Perhaps its time to start retrofitting our own.

11-19-2014, 01:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Sony A7 series beat you to it.
$20 PK to NEX adapter + Sony A7 = Pentax lenses on full-frame [w. manual focus and aperture].
11-19-2014, 02:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

But I really do wonder if we could do a kickstarter for a really simple FF, with full (non-crippled) K-mount. Something like those old Hasselblaad bodies:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a6/Hasselblad_500C.jpg
Only P, Av, Tv, M, B modes. And a big sensor, big viewfinder. I have no idea how much it would cost to manufacture, but it seems like camera brands outsource almost every part of their camera, anyway. Shutter from one company, sensor from another, LCD from the third,..
11-19-2014, 02:25 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
But I really do wonder if we could do a kickstarter for a really simple FF, with full (non-crippled) K-mount. Something like those old Hasselblaad bodies:
Only P, Av, Tv, M, B modes. And a big sensor, big viewfinder. I have no idea how much it would cost to manufacture, but it seems like camera brands outsource almost every part of their camera, anyway. Shutter from one company, sensor from another, LCD from the third,..
You might as well Kickstarter the adapter only and the the Sony A7 handle the rest (ie. more complicated camera stuff).
So an PK to FE mount adapter that works somewhat like their LA-EA4 or the AF metabones Canon>FE mount adapter.
Reads the aperture setting and tells the A7 and stops down the lens when shutter is released (with the mechanism to do so)

11-19-2014, 02:43 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
this is actualy a verry good idea. the users know better what they want from a product
11-19-2014, 03:07 AM   #6
Banned

It's probably cheaper to fit a FF sensor without SR inside a K-01 and do the connections.Just make your bumblebee FF!!!!!!!
11-19-2014, 03:25 AM   #7
HYS
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Sony A7 series beat you to it.
$20 PK to NEX adapter + Sony A7 = Pentax lenses on full-frame [w. manual focus and aperture].
Come on!
Manual focus (on this awful screen) and aperture!
Giving money lets have something serious.

11-19-2014, 03:44 AM   #8

Cool idea. A 35mm DSLR with a 100% 1:1 optical viewfinder with only the basics in terms of buttons and dials and styled something like a Spotmatic - to me, that would be a most worthy cause for a kick starter campaign! But it should probably feature something like an adaptall mount to allow coupling of virtually any legacy SLR lens. That will generate more interest outside of the Pentax community.

Cosina are you listening? You have already done something like this with the Epson RD 1 rangefinder.
11-19-2014, 11:06 AM   #9

Reminds me of the frankencamera. FrankenCamera | Fitting digital camera components into an analog rangefinder.
11-19-2014, 11:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
You might as well Kickstarter the adapter only and the the Sony A7 handle the rest (ie. more complicated camera stuff).
So an PK to FE mount adapter that works somewhat like their LA-EA4 or the AF metabones Canon>FE mount adapter.
Reads the aperture setting and tells the A7 and stops down the lens when shutter is released (with the mechanism to do so)
Something like this could probably work. All you would need is a small motor to drive the AF screw and a small processor to convert the signals. The aperture could be kept manual because idk of any easy way for the camera body to control it unless you put a lever in the adapter that can move the aperture lever in the lens. I'm sure someone could figure it out but it would cost a lot and I doubt the AF would be very fast or accurate.

---------- Post added 11-19-2014 at 01:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by HYS Quote
Come on!
Giving money lets have something serious.
Its really not THAT bad...the viewfinder isn't awful and plenty of people already use manual focus lenses on the K-01, its screen has lower res than the A7 viewfinder.
I'll admit there is a bit of a learning curve and at first I didn't trust the EVF, but I'm at the point now where I can nail focus most of the time without focus peaking or magnification. I've had my A7 since october.

---------- Post added 11-19-2014 at 02:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by quimming Quote
It probably wouldn't be too hard to do something like this to a K1000. The only thing I figure is it may be hard to get the focusing exactly right.
11-20-2014, 08:37 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by quimming Quote
Reminds me of the frankencamera. FrankenCamera | Fitting digital camera components into an analog rangefinder.
cool project but it'd be much more complexe with a full frame sensor, I think ^^

Meanwhile, https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/169-pentax-full-frame/279685-pentax-full-...oto-paris.html
11-21-2014, 12:29 AM   #12

Original Poster
With all the manual lenses out there. All one needs is a K1000 in digital form... That's all I want anyway.

Doesn't even need an LCD or any (fancy) firmware. Just dump raw files right to an SD and deal with them later.

Last edited by jkomp316; 11-21-2014 at 12:51 AM.
11-23-2014, 01:17 PM   #13

Here's my Pentax Full Frame -
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
11-23-2014, 02:48 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jkomp316 Quote
With all the manual lenses out there. All one needs is a K1000 in digital form... That's all I want anyway.

Doesn't even need an LCD or any (fancy) firmware. Just dump raw files right to an SD and deal with them later.
A digital K1000 simulator is all I ever wanted when I started down this digital camera road.
Now that I am used to the different FOV on APSC, the K-50 does the trick.
If I need less DoF, I have a "Full Frame" Pentax SF1.
If I need even shallower DoF, I have a 645N.

Once in a while, I wish I could put film in the K-3
11-23-2014, 03:05 PM   #15
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HYS Quote
Come on!
0x magnification with an ovf.
12x magnification with a7 evf.

no contest.