Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2014, 10:10 AM   #181
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
if that sensor is true then the next gen in the 645z will likely be 100-120 mp using this technology it's getting silly soon you'll be able to print a billboard with the detail of an 8x10 under a microscope
We've pretty much hit the wall interns of the limits of expanded MP. a 51 MP 645z offers 8265 pixels wide, a Nikon D800 offers 7360, A K-3 = 6000. We're at a point where adding resolution is not really increasing resolution defined by pixel width by all that much. A 645z is more than twice as many pixels, but only 33 percent more horizontal resolution.

To be double the horizontal resolution of a K-3, you'd have to go to 12,000 x 8000, and that would be 96 MP. 4 times the MP to double the horzontal resolution, so 101 MP sounds like a lot...

But I'm sure if it becomes the "standard" and that's what you can get, we'll all buy into it. There's already lot's of evidence that you don't get much going from 16 to 36 MP. You get that teeny little bit extra that sometimes can make a difference. But you don't see it on every image.

Last edited by normhead; 12-04-2014 at 03:02 PM.
12-04-2014, 10:27 AM   #182
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Well, that's the reason I want an FF body too... just because... but I have no technical arguments to be honest.
As the dude said... the differences are "ne-gli-gi-ble" (he had me laughing quite hard when he was saying that).
To be honest, the bigger VF of FF is really a valuable thing. If Pentax create a APS-C with a VF as big as the one of the film body era, i'll by it right now. a huge VF is really enjoyable.
12-04-2014, 10:33 AM   #183
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
To be honest, the bigger VF of FF is really a valuable thing. If Pentax create a APS-C with a VF as big as the one of the film body era, i'll by it right now. a huge VF is really enjoyable.
Completely agree with you on that one!
This is the main reason why I will NOT buy any crop format DSLR camera. I'd rather stick with mirror-less crop even though they have some short-comings that are slowly eliminated in the newer models (speaking of, that Sony 6000 is been SOOOOO tempting!!!! I've been fighting against it since it has been released).
12-04-2014, 11:27 AM   #184

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
if that sensor is true then the next gen in the 645z will likely be 100-120 mp using this technology it's getting silly soon you'll be able to print a billboard with the detail of an 8x10 under a microscope

This new Sony sensor could be easyer to buy by Ricoh now when Nikon are using more Samsung sensors, which means that Nikon is not any more adding some requiremets to others to buy Sony sensors, like "Sony can sell the sensors to Ricoh only after one year from releasing the new sensor".
If all of rumored technical details of the new sensor will be true, I think the sensor will revoluteonise the digital camera market.
Look at the ISO curve, native sensitivity/base ISO is 5120 and then the sensor gives 21 stops of dynamic range - NO OTHER sensor will come close to that today. And if this dynamic range is there with 54Mp, it is even more miraculous achievement - at least according to my understanding.

12-04-2014, 12:05 PM   #185
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by markku55 Quote
This new Sony sensor could be easyer to buy by Ricoh now when Nikon are using more Samsung sensors, which means that Nikon is not any more adding some requiremets to others to buy Sony sensors, like "Sony can sell the sensors to Ricoh only after one year from releasing the new sensor".
If all of rumored technical details of the new sensor will be true, I think the sensor will revoluteonise the digital camera market.
Look at the ISO curve, native sensitivity/base ISO is 5120 and then the sensor gives 21 stops of dynamic range - NO OTHER sensor will come close to that today. And if this dynamic range is there with 54Mp, it is even more miraculous achievement - at least according to my understanding.

I don't think we'll see before the second iteration of the K-FF-whatever, if the first FF really comes out in spring 2015... at least if we go by Asahiman's "insider info" regarding the testing of a FF prototype at Ricoh/Pentax.
12-04-2014, 12:31 PM   #186
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Size matters, as they say. You can have an APS-C viewfinder image that's as large as you like, but the greater magnification will mean it won't be as bright as a smaller one, since you're spreading the same amount of light over a larger area. The only way you'll get a bigger and brighter viewfinder image on an APS-C format SLR is with more light, which means using faster lenses, engineering the light losses out of the optical viewfinder path, or switching to an EVF.
12-04-2014, 12:32 PM   #187
Forum Member

If all of these rumors should come true, I might have to wait for it before switching over to Sony's a7II.

12-04-2014, 01:39 PM   #188
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
If Pentax can generate profit out of Q, APS-C and 645 format, then they should have no problem either with generating profit out of 35mm. But indeed, if they are not willing...
Pentax making a profit out of Q, APS-C and 645 is no guarantee they can make the same out of 35mm, or at least that it's as easy. There is a reason other projects were prioritized instead of the 35mm.
But, that's not the whole story. If they can't do it now, they can create the conditions for later. If it's difficult, they can create the conditions to make it easier. Which is what they're doing right now, apparently.

It makes no sense to think they're simply unwilling... why, just to upset us?
12-04-2014, 01:52 PM   #189
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Pentax making a profit out of Q, APS-C and 645 is no guarantee they can make the same out of 35mm, or at least that it's as easy. There is a reason other projects were prioritized instead of the 35mm.
But, that's not the whole story. If they can't do it now, they can create the conditions for later. If it's difficult, they can create the conditions to make it easier. Which is what they're doing right now, apparently.

It makes no sense to think they're simply unwilling... why, just to upset us?
Making profits from the other product lines means they have both time and financial resources to devote to new product lines. Starting a new line involves more than just design and production. I can't help but wonder that their talk about a 35mm sensor Pentax body being "different" means they were thinking about an evolution of the K-01, and the market failure of that product (whatever technical benefits it may have had) forced a radical re-think. Whatever their thinking, I'm sure the failure of the K-01 underlined the need for caution in Ricoh's senior management.
12-04-2014, 02:22 PM   #190
Pentaxian

Nope, it will be a K-mount DSLR (they said that in interviews). It's illogical to base the 35mm product line on a failed project.
12-04-2014, 03:00 PM   #191
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Size matters, as they say. You can have an APS-C viewfinder image that's as large as you like, but the greater magnification will mean it won't be as bright as a smaller one, since you're spreading the same amount of light over a larger area. The only way you'll get a bigger and brighter viewfinder image on an APS-C format SLR is with more light, which means using faster lenses, engineering the light losses out of the optical viewfinder path, or switching to an EVF.
i'm not necesseraly asking for a 200% maginification, but really 100% on APS-C is still small ...
Something like 135% should be good. it should create an APS-H VF
12-04-2014, 03:09 PM   #192
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm, such an AF guy now, my APS-c viewfinder is just used for focus confirmation... so I don't need a viewfinder like there is on my film cameras. To me, this is pretty much a fabricated issue. That there are even people still using antiquated manual focusing systems is a mystery to me. When I looked through a D600 viewfinder, I was impressed, but it's not something that would influence a camera buying decision for me. Other's experience may vary.
12-04-2014, 03:54 PM   #193
Veteran Member

i'm not necesseraly asking for a 200% maginification, but really 100% on APS-C is still small ...
No please! it's already a chore to multiply focal by 1.5 in order to "get a feel for it" because I still have the FoVs of film ingrained into my mind... let's not cloud things further with yet another, more difficult calculation (x1.255)...
12-04-2014, 07:01 PM   #194
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can, of course, get that with a viewfinder magnifier (I use the Tenpa variety) although the drop-off in brightness is noticeable, but usually isn't that much of an issue provided I'm not using a very slow lens, such as my Tamron 500/8 mirror that only tends to come out on brighter days, or gets used with Live View.

Practically, it's only when I get my LX or K2DMD out that I realise what I'm missing in the K-3 viewfinder. It's nice (very nice, really) to have a big, bright viewfinder, and I'll look forward to having it back in a 35mm Pentax DSLR. Until then, it's not that much of an impediment on the APS-C bodies.
12-06-2014, 02:57 AM   #195

if the viewfinder is too dark, I use lifeview.

It is really a non-issue for me.

In fact, whenever I am in MF mode, I use lifeview. Focus Peaking works great. Focus confirmation in viewfinder is always off.