Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2014, 09:50 AM   #226
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by markku55 Quote
Which sensor it will be? The new Sony sensor is made for mirrorless body with all AF sensors built in in the sensor itself, might not work in a body with mirror - or does it?
If I understood right, the new FF body will be with optical wf, so most probably the new FF will not use the new "fantastic" sensor by Sony.
i don't understand why you assume that Pentax can't use the sensor with built in AF phase detector. Those sensor can be used in LV with a DSLR.

Last edited by aurele; 12-13-2014 at 09:56 AM.
12-13-2014, 09:54 AM   #227
Pentaxian

which sensors are available for Ricoh, any ideas?
The same ones that are in the Nikon D610/D750/D810 and Sony A7/A7r.
I think any of them will do fine.
12-13-2014, 11:52 AM   #228
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
i don't understand why you assume that Pentax can't use the sensor with built in AF phase detector. Those sensor can be used in LV with a DSLR.
Ok, I'm not so good in these kind of technical matters, so I accept your opinnion.
My feelings are that Pentax should use a sensor which do have up to days most modern technical details, not only what is common today. By copying other makers technology, there is no advantage for Pentax, and I believe, no succes in selling either.

---------- Post added 12-13-14 at 08:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The same ones that are in the Nikon D610/D750/D810 and Sony A7/A7r.
I think any of them will do fine.
I don't belive that copying others solutions is the right way for Pentax to make a new FF body - I'm sure about this.
12-13-2014, 12:05 PM   #229
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My feelings are that Pentax should use a sensor which do have up to days most modern technical details, not only what is common today.
But the D750 was just released? How much more up to date can you get?
I don't belive that copying others solutions is the right way for Pentax to make a new FF body - I'm sure about this.
Unless they suddenly develop the expertise to design and manufacture their own sensors then they will be following everyone else, because that is the only sensor available.

12-13-2014, 12:11 PM   #230
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
But the D750 was just released? How much more up to date can you get?

Unless they suddenly develop the expertise to design and manufacture their own sensors then they will be following everyone else, because that is the only sensor available.

The new Sony FF sensor will be much better than anything existing today.
Do you think that Sony will not sell the new sensor for Ricoh?
12-13-2014, 12:32 PM   #231
Veteran Member

The new Sony FF sensor will be much better than anything existing today.
Do you think that Sony will not sell the new sensor for Ricoh?
So far they have made their sensors available to other manufacturers as well, haven´t they ?
Sometimes with a delay of a few months, but still.
12-13-2014, 03:30 PM   #232

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
Last weekend I went to Salon de photo (a pseudo-Photokina in France) and talked to some Ricoh staffs, they confirmed that Pentax (Ricoh) full frame will be release in 2015. I asked them if it's just some news or it's official and they reply without hesitation that it's now OFFICIAL !
So one more time Ricoh confirms their full frame release. It's just a matter of months. Prepare your full frame glass and wait for the beloved camera of all time
About the price, Ricoh says that it'll be more expensive than the K3 because of the sensor size (of course) but will be very competitive over other brands
Good news ^^

PS : photo of the Ricoh stand, nice and shine ^^
i am an old pentax user and have a lot of very good glas from the film times. 17mm to 600mm and 50mm 1: 1.2, 85 1: 1.4.... Many of it without AF but for me that is no problem. If i want AF i take my APSC. If i want to control shallow dof i can take the old darlings. A low resolution sensor with big pixels for great dynamic range and high sensivity would be fine. I hate flash I hate people who use flash. Available light is the only good light. Flash is for fill in but HDR kills it even for this purpose. If Pentax will do a FF it will be compact and sturdy. I wait for it and would be happy to buy one.
12-13-2014, 03:34 PM   #233
Veteran Member

Maybe Ricoh has been developing their own sensor, but up till now have been using Sony's (or who ever's sensor they've been using) until they feel they've perfected their own sensor & started using it in their camera's. One can only hope though for that scenario.

---------- Post added 12-13-14 at 03:39 PM ----------

And if they do change mounts (I hope not), make it a M42 mount so that way people who have glass in that mount can still use it without buying an adapter for it, and even though focusing will have to be in manually, at least it'll make people happy (to an extent).

12-13-2014, 03:52 PM   #234
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
Maybe Ricoh has been developing their own sensor, but up till now have been using Sony's (or who ever's sensor they've been using) until they feel they've perfected their own sensor & started using it in their camera's. One can only hope though for that scenario.

---------- Post added 12-13-14 at 03:39 PM ----------

And if they do change mounts (I hope not), make it a M42 mount so that way people who have glass in that mount can still use it without buying an adapter for it, and even though focusing will have to be in manually, at least it'll make people happy (to an extent).
???

You're hoping that a company with no experience in building sensors would build and manufacture a new sensor, and expect them to get it right the first time?
I'd rather hope that the sensor of the future K-FF will be a Sony. Ricoh-Pentax egineers have been very successful at squeezing the last drop of performance out of those.

And you're hoping for an M42 screw mount? in 2014? no contacts, no aperture lever, no nothing, plus the inconvenience of having to screw a lens on and off, instead of having a convenient bayonet?

Did I miss the <SARCASM> tag?
12-13-2014, 05:10 PM   #235
Site Supporter

Maybe Ricoh has been developing their own sensor, but up till now have been using Sony's
ROFL... I hope you are joking?? Where on earth would Ricoh suddenly come up with the expertise to design and build a sensor?

And if they do change mounts (I hope not), make it a M42 mount so that way people who have glass in that mount can still use it without buying an adapter for it,
Very funny. You do realize that k-mount glass would not work and the last Pentax M42 lens was made in maybe 1974?
12-13-2014, 07:22 PM   #236

I have had my *ist DS since 2003. I bought the K-5 in 2013. I agree with the idea of saving for kids' college tuition mentioned earlier. But I will wait patiently for a FF MIRROR-LESS version with a SPLIT-PRISM FOCUS SCREEN. For the sake of marriage, kids, sanity, etc, I hope that particular FF version is not going to be released anytime soon...
12-13-2014, 07:49 PM   #237
Veteran Member

Like I said, "Developing" one. I don't expect them to just make & release one out of the blue without doing R&D first.
12-14-2014, 12:00 AM   #238
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stalin Quote
I hate flash I hate people who use flash. Available light is the only good light
I'm scared to argue with Stalin!
But while I am not as hard-line about it, since flash has utility, I generally agree.
And welcome to the forum.

Like I said, "Developing" one. I don't expect them to just make & release one out of the blue without doing R&D first.
A modern high-volume chip fabrication plant costs billions to build, so I don't see Ricoh getting into the whole production process for image sensors.

What's more doable is companies like Nikon and Ricoh contributing to the design of any sensor and image processing chips they order from companies like Sony or Fujitsu. I think that happens already.
12-14-2014, 02:54 AM   #239
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by subidoc Quote
I have had my *ist DS since 2003. I bought the K-5 in 2013. I agree with the idea of saving for kids' college tuition mentioned earlier. But I will wait patiently for a FF MIRROR-LESS version with a SPLIT-PRISM FOCUS SCREEN. For the sake of marriage, kids, sanity, etc, I hope that particular FF version is not going to be released anytime soon...
Hmm... mirrorless (which implies either an electronic viewfinder, or a non-reflex optical viewfinder - at best a rangefinder system) and split-prism focus screen (implying a reflex optical viewfinder) are mutually exclusive
12-14-2014, 10:04 AM   #240
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by subidoc Quote
FF MIRROR-LESS version with a SPLIT-PRISM FOCUS SCREEN.
I don't think a mirrorless would have a focus screen. Isn't the whole point of mirrorless to remove the mirror and optical path through the focus screen?