Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2014, 08:04 AM   #241
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I don't think a mirrorless would have a focus screen. Isn't the whole point of mirrorless to remove the mirror and optical path through the focus screen?
yep but they do off the emulation of a split screen (at least on my X-T1 I noticed it - I use the peaking it's more effective)

12-17-2014, 10:40 AM   #242
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
???

Ricoh-Pentax egineers have been very successful at squeezing the last drop of performance out of those.
Actually Nikon have squeezed most of the Sony sensors, not Pentax.
12-17-2014, 11:11 AM   #243
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by markku55 Quote
Actually Nikon have squeezed most of the Sony sensors, not Pentax.
...more than the K-3?
12-17-2014, 12:40 PM   #244
Pentaxian

I think he ment "most" meaning more quantity of sensors ( more camera models ).. or at least thats how i understood it. But is for sure that K3 squeezed the sony sensor till the last drop.

12-18-2014, 01:33 AM   #245
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
ROFL... I hope you are joking?? Where on earth would Ricoh suddenly come up with the expertise to design and build a sensor?
Even though I'm sceptic about it as wel, it's not THAT far fetched. Digital copiers don't absorb the data from the documents they scan by magic. There's optics in there. Including a mirror and a sensor. Yes, of a very different kind, but still. I have no idea where those are coming from though. If they make them by themselves or if they are sourced from elsewhere. Same goes for their security-camera business.
12-18-2014, 08:50 AM   #246
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Even though I'm sceptic about it as wel, it's not THAT far fetched. Digital copiers don't absorb the data from the documents they scan by magic. There's optics in there. Including a mirror and a sensor. Yes, of a very different kind, but still. I have no idea where those are coming from though. If they make them by themselves or if they are sourced from elsewhere. Same goes for their security-camera business.
I remember something about therm wanting to integrate some 645 tech into the copier line

But yeah there is a lot of similar tech in use and there are synergies. They may source sensors for the copiers elsewhere though as well. open up electronics through the years and you'll see major competitor names under the hood - I remember Toshiba parts in both Panasonic and Sony items I opened at one point. Japanese firms tend to work together on items like htis ias a group to give them more reach and market power. no-one makes all the parts for their products they spec them out and design the products and (mostly) assemble them
12-20-2014, 11:42 AM   #247
Site Supporter

...more than the K-3?
If I know right Nikon 7000 used the same sensor as Pentax K-5, the result of those cameras was more or less on the Nikon side - I think

12-20-2014, 12:35 PM   #248
Loyal Site Supporter

If I know right Nikon 7000 used the same sensor as Pentax K-5, the result of those cameras was more or less on the Nikon side - I think

Actually on dxo e k5 scored 82 the Nikon scored 80 for k5vs d7000
D7100 was 83 vs k5iis or k5ii both at 82 (Nikon stepped up ad dollars too so ......
K3 is actually lower at 80

12-23-2014, 08:19 AM   #249
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Actually on dxo e k5 scored 82 the Nikon scored 80 for k5vs d7000
D7100 was 83 vs k5iis or k5ii both at 82 (Nikon stepped up ad dollars too so ......
K3 is actually lower at 80
You have most probally right, if you trust on dxo tests.
Biggest difference was in the focus tracking capability, so this was the reason for me to get an opinnion that Nikon is slightly better.
The other reason for lower points for K-5 was the price level when the bodies was released, Pentax got bad points and those was never recalculated when the prices was reduced radically after a few months from release.
So, I admit that Pentax might get more out from sensor than Nikon, in the case of K-5 and D7000.

01-05-2015, 11:36 AM   #250
Site Supporter

I still dont understand that example in the case of 16Mp APS-C sensor from Sony, Sony was the worst of this sensor users, they didn't get even close the capability of the sensor than ALL other users, why?
This is a mystery to me, why the sensor maker can't take more of its own sensor ???????
01-05-2015, 06:08 PM - 1 Like   #251
Pentaxian

I still dont understand that example in the case of 16Mp APS-C sensor from Sony, Sony was the worst of this sensor users, they didn't get even close the capability of the sensor than ALL other users, why?
This is a mystery to me, why the sensor maker can't take more of its own sensor ???????
The owner of the mill surely makes good flour... would you say that he also makes an excellent pizza?
01-05-2015, 11:09 PM   #252
Site Supporter

The owner of the mill surely makes good flour... would you say that he also makes an excellent pizza?
LOL you made smile on that one, thanks!
01-06-2015, 01:47 AM   #253
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Are you sure about that? Pentax placed that sensor in the K-5 behind one of the thickest AA filters available. In the NEX5n it was a lot less thick. Which made the NEX output appear much sharper. Pentax quickly learned from that and slimmed it down in the next body they used. (K-01) With a bit of searching you can still find the threads of people researching the possibility of removing that thick AA filter from the K-5. It turned out to be impossible to accomplish that.

But it's also about the idea and the feeling it gives. My Audi has an engine made by the VW/Audi-group. IMHO, that's ever so much cooler then driving that Daihatsu that has an engine that was sourced from the VW group.
01-06-2015, 05:24 PM   #254
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
But it's also about the idea and the feeling it gives. My Audi has an engine made by the VW/Audi-group. IMHO, that's ever so much cooler then driving that Daihatsu that has an engine that was sourced from the VW group.
Interesting. My Landrover has an engine derived from an experimental Buick alloy V8 but it certainly goes places no Buick ever could!
01-06-2015, 10:58 PM   #255
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Interesting. My Landrover has an engine derived from an experimental Buick alloy V8 but it certainly goes places no Buick ever could!
nonsense. quick search discovered this beaut: