Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2014, 02:58 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
It is now rumored on several sites (including SAR) that Canon and Nikon will be joining the FF-mirrorless race somewhere late in 2015. If that is true, Sony will no longer be alone, and there will be more pressure on the prices of such systems. This will land them firmly in current high end APS-C DSLR price range.
Another Nikon 1 and Canon EOS M "success" (just bigger)?

11-21-2014, 03:10 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Another Nikon 1 and Canon EOS M "success" (just bigger)?
LOL! You're right. I am expecting people learn from their mistakes. But I guess I myself haven't learned enough yet to become sceptical about that.
11-21-2014, 03:23 AM   #48
Pentaxian

LOL! You're right. I am expecting people learn from their mistakes. But I guess I myself haven't learned enough yet to become sceptical about that.
We'll see... let's give 'em a chance...
And a chance to Ricoh/Pentax too...
This is really gonna be the FF year!
11-21-2014, 03:37 AM   #49
Pentaxian

What are you assuming it means?
I was just looking at the context: a thread about the DA 560, a nudge from a poster about whether the DA 560 was FF, then the following reply from Asahi Man:
"Full-frame? Pentax will never bring fullframe,they have caliber .645 "

So, on the basis of my best hermeneutics training, I understood asahi man to be layering down some complex meaning in his response:

(1) implicitly questioning why people are interested in FF at all; then
(2) cruelly playing on the long held interest in FF amongst Pentax users by suggesting that it's never going to happen; then
(3) referencing the 'big gun' 645 as reason not to do FF - an obvious play on the expression 'why bring a knife to a gun fight'.
(4) then closing the whole exchange with a suggestive wink, implying that he is passing on a joke or a secret, and should not be taken literally.

It's classic asahi man.

11-21-2014, 04:26 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I was just looking at the context: a thread about the DA 560, a nudge from a poster about whether the DA 560 was FF, then the following reply from Asahi Man:
"Full-frame? Pentax will never bring fullframe,they have caliber .645 "

So, on the basis of my best hermeneutics training, I understood asahi man to be layering down some complex meaning in his response:

(1) implicitly questioning why people are interested in FF at all; then
(2) cruelly playing on the long held interest in FF amongst Pentax users by suggesting that it's never going to happen; then
(3) referencing the 'big gun' 645 as reason not to do FF - an obvious play on the expression 'why bring a knife to a gun fight'.
(4) then closing the whole exchange with a suggestive wink, implying that he is passing on a joke or a secret, and should not be taken literally.

It's classic asahi man.
Isn't this also the classic method of Crocodile Dundee - gentle teasing, a play on fears and longings, an ambush miles away in the Outback, and all the while winking at the audience? Perhaps he is Australian.
11-21-2014, 06:13 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The latest rumors I've heard from a seller in a big camera store, and also a Pentax user, was that the Pentax FF is in field test.
11-21-2014, 08:56 AM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
The latest rumors I've heard from a seller in a big camera store, and also a Pentax user, was that the Pentax FF is in field test.
yeah, isn't we heard this before? turn out a teenager from Germany is just having fun with his friend in G+.

The current A7II is 180k in yen retail, using the current currency rate, it is only $1500-$1600 USD, new.

PENTAX probably still "studying the market need" now.
11-21-2014, 09:23 AM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
yeah, isn't we heard this before? turn out a teenager from Germany is just having fun with his friend in G+.

The current A7II is 180k in yen retail, using the current currency rate, it is only $1500-$1600 USD, new.

PENTAX probably still "studying the market need" now.
Yes, I've heard that before. But not from a man in a position where he can find out more than usual costumers.

Yes, it is normal to be skeptical after such a long wait. But trying to push forward that Sony A7, (which, in my opinion, has the most stupid design) on a Pentax forum is not normal, IMO.

In another order of ideas, Pentax needs a wide zoom and a standard zoom for FF (at least), presuming that this 70-200mm presented at Photokina is FF capable. But I think that a standard zoom will not be showed until the camera itself will be launched.

11-21-2014, 09:24 AM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
How are any of these reliable sources?!
11-21-2014, 09:57 AM   #55
Pentaxian

How can a source be defined as reliable? And, can be only one reliable source, or many? I remember that last year there was some rumors about a new Pentax, Some people believed it, some didn't.. After some time, some pictures was leaked, and in less than a month K-3 was officially launched. Did someone knows who was the source-sources of those rumors? I don't.
11-21-2014, 05:09 PM   #56
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
How are any of these reliable sources?!
Well, I wrote to Ricoh, Japan, and got an affirmative reply, so that's pretty reliable, is it not?
11-21-2014, 05:26 PM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Well, I wrote to Ricoh, Japan, and got an affirmative reply, so that's pretty reliable, is it not?
My post was in reply to JimmyDranox who wrote that he heard the rumour from a seller in a big store and another Pentax user, none of which are really reliable sources by any stretch of the imagination, at least not based on the information we have. If the Pentax user in question is personal friends with the Ricoh CEO and drives his children to kindergarten, that would obviously change the story

Your source is obviously more reliable, but learning from the past where loads of 'affirmative replies', hints etc. have been made for years without any results, I wouldn't value even an affirmative reply too highly.

On the other hand, as of now we have more evidence than ever (including sources like yours, the zooms presented at Photokina, statements by high ranking Ricoh officials etc.) that a Pentax FF will be released in the very near future and I therefore consider the affirmative reply you got to be most likely true.
11-21-2014, 05:51 PM   #58
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
My post was in reply to JimmyDranox who wrote that he heard the rumour from a seller in a big store and another Pentax user, none of which are really reliable sources by any stretch of the imagination, at least not based on the information we have. If the Pentax user in question is personal friends with the Ricoh CEO and drives his children to kindergarten, that would obviously change the story

Your source is obviously more reliable, but learning from the past where loads of 'affirmative replies', hints etc. have been made for years without any results, I wouldn't value even an affirmative reply too highly.

On the other hand, as of now we have more evidence than ever (including sources like yours, the zooms presented at Photokina, statements by high ranking Ricoh officials etc.) that a Pentax FF will be released in the very near future and I therefore consider the affirmative reply you got to be most likely true.
True, my point is though, that there clearly is something in the pipeline, so it's only logical that sellers, etc. may well have picked up pretty good hints from head office.
11-21-2014, 06:18 PM   #59

In my opinion a FF camera will be great to attract some of the full frame fetishists infecting youtube who belittle everything smaller (full frame is called 'Kleinbild' - small picture - for a reason in Germany).

Myself, I don't need full frame. I already have to deal with DoF in the 1 and 2 mm range. I don't need that to become even worse...
11-21-2014, 06:25 PM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
True, my point is though, that there clearly is something in the pipeline, so it's only logical that sellers, etc. may well have picked up pretty good hints from head office.
It really depends on how much the sellers actually know... and if the "head office" wants what to filter through, just like the so-called "accidental" leaks...