Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
11-25-2014, 03:07 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I agree that the typical user would probably not buy that cannon. But i was thinking of using the A7 for sometimes dark scenes in theater plays. It would be useful to at least have a f2.8 FE 28-70 or some such. But i seem to be swiming against the tide with those ideas :-) I guess even without the faster zoom lens, i'd still get an advantage of higher iso capability over my K3. Truth be told, my K3 does a pretty capable job, and the AF is peerless in low light, imo. Fun to dream ;-). For my own landscape pictures that i flog the market with, i'd just use some Pentax manual lenses - that has been fun even with my Nex6.
Oh no, I totally agree that they should get a fast zoom in that line up too. A 28-70 2.8 wouldn't be as massive as that 70-200 and would fit in very nicely. The FE lens line-up is still more holes then anything else. No doubt that there's something going to be in there down the road.

11-25-2014, 04:48 AM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
Perhaps is not that they "hate" it.. cuz many photographers talk good things about the brand quality.. but they just dont know about the camera features.. retailers need something like "quick workshops" about Pentax products.. RICOH have some good potential of growing the brand but they need to do it from the basics. A FF release to catch attention and reputation + if we good marketing along that release can push this.

A few weeks ago in my town we had the visit of a RICOH sales representative for Latin America, so looks like the company is putting some efford.. little steps that can make a difference.
Well I don't know whats going on around here ! CR Kennedy is the importer of Pentax and Sigma products, and perhaps they don't have anything to do with marketing the brand in Australia. Perhaps if Pentax had an office here in Australia, they might employ some sales teams that could go out to stores and help market the products.

At one store they had a huge Leica permanent display, obviously Leica payed a tonne of money to do that. The only problem is is that nobody is looking at Leica because its too expensive. Everybodies over at the Canon or Nikon displays.

I know what goes on at camera stores, most of my experience with sales people are that they are usually out of work professionals, who shoot either Canon or Nikon. Some are students in either photography or film making, and they usually use Canon or Nikon.

I was once at Photo Continental, and a customer was being shown all the different brands, and then he asked "Whats Pentax like", the sales person walked over to the Pentax cabinet, then walked back to the customer and said "They don't have a professional range of cameras". I thought, he didn't ask "does Pentax have a professional range of cameras", he asked "What Pentax like", and he was just after a consumer camera. For these canikonites Pentax does not compute. In their brains a camera manufacturer is supposed to have a 35mm DSLR range devoted to professionals. You don't have to buy a Chevy Aveo ..... because of the Chevy Corvette. You can buy a Honda Civic or Toyota Yaris, and Honda and Toyota do not have the equivalent of a Corvette.

I'm telling you, some stores just push Canon and Nikon, they'll even leave Fujifilm and Sony to one side. Its turning into a duopoly here.
11-25-2014, 05:23 AM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zoolander Quote
*snip*
I was once at Photo Continental, and a customer was being shown all the different brands, and then he asked "Whats Pentax like", the sales person walked over to the Pentax cabinet, then walked back to the customer and said "They don't have a professional range of cameras". I thought, he didn't ask "does Pentax have a professional range of cameras", he asked "What Pentax like", and he was just after a consumer camera. For these canikonites Pentax does not compute. In their brains a camera manufacturer is supposed to have a 35mm DSLR range devoted to professionals. You don't have to buy a Chevy Aveo ..... because of the Chevy Corvette. You can buy a Honda Civic or Toyota Yaris, and Honda and Toyota do not have the equivalent of a Corvette.

I'm telling you, some stores just push Canon and Nikon, they'll even leave Fujifilm and Sony to one side. Its turning into a duopoly here.
That's just either plain stupid, uneducated, or in bad faith.
It's not surprising, though... I've heard more bull coming out of clerks working at retailers that I would have liked to.
11-25-2014, 05:56 AM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
That's just either plain stupid, uneducated, or in bad faith.

Its like that.

When I first got into digital photography, I thought the there was only Nikon and Canon, and Pentax was a cheap and crappy brand. I didn't even realize there was a Sony camera range. The only reason why I got into Sony and later Pentax, was because of sensor shift - having ALL lenses stabilized. Everything I ever heard or read was negative about Pentax - and today I think Pentax is a pretty darn good camera and lens maker.

So its like buying a car (used or new). You gotta get online and check the reviews and see the forums and find the technical information. If you walk into a dealership, the salesman will steer you into buying what HE wants to sell you - Like you're some kind of Clark Griswald !

11-25-2014, 06:53 AM   #110
Veteran Member

Its like that.

When I first got into digital photography, I thought the there was only Nikon and Canon, and Pentax was a cheap and crappy brand. I didn't even realize there was a Sony camera range. The only reason why I got into Sony and later Pentax, was because of sensor shift - having ALL lenses stabilized. Everything I ever heard or read was negative about Pentax - and today I think Pentax is a pretty darn good camera and lens maker.

So its like buying a car (used or new). You gotta get online and check the reviews and see the forums and find the technical information. If you walk into a dealership, the salesman will steer you into buying what HE wants to sell you - Like you're some kind of Clark Griswald !
Thank God for my KX and M lenses...
11-25-2014, 07:59 AM   #111
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know what goes on at camera stores, most of my experience with sales people are that they are usually out of work professionals, who shoot either Canon or Nikon.
I wonder if part of the struggles with their professional photography is because they place too much emphasis on the gear and not enough on their skills..
11-25-2014, 08:55 AM   #112
Veteran Member

It's just business.....in the end the retailer is in the game to make money...

11-25-2014, 09:06 AM   #113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
It's just business.....in the end the retailer is in the game to make money...
Then I don't want to hear all the whines about how "internet is killing retailers! it's unfair".
If the supposed "added value" of retailers is being given incorrect information or getting downright scammed, I'll take e-commerce anyday, thank you.
11-25-2014, 09:30 AM   #114
Pentaxian

I've used the K-01 for landscape and I actually prefer standing back looking at the image as opposed to squeezing up to the eye pice. Not only woud I like a K-01 style body for FF, but the ability to tether to my iPad would be even better. The AP-c is my old 35mm type camera. My FF, should I get one, will be my 4x5 view camera. But then, they never do what I want... I'd actually like to just attach the camera on the tripod to my iPad. Maybe use a bellows so it looks right.
11-25-2014, 10:47 AM   #115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
I was under the impression that the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 ED id LD ADD etc. whathever macro was FF...
I know, it's cheap, but if it works...
Yes, Tamron and Sigma currently offer full-frame 70-200 f2.8's for Pentax.

However the Tamron on offer is the older screw-drive 70-200 f2.8 Di LD you mentioned, not the newest 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, which has vibration compensation and fast ultrasonic AF (only available for Canon/Nikon/ Sony A-mount). So the only 'modern' third party choice for Pentax users will be the Sigma APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM. Locally it retails for about AUD$1100, so it's not a bad deal.

I already have the older Sigma 70-200 f2.8 HSM II, so I'll be sticking with that
11-25-2014, 10:51 AM   #116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I wonder if part of the struggles with their professional photography is because they place too much emphasis on the gear and not enough on their skills..
It must contribute.
11-25-2014, 11:03 AM   #117
Veteran Member

then walked back to the customer and said "They don't have a professional range of cameras". I thought, he didn't ask "does Pentax have a professional range of cameras", he asked "What Pentax like", and he was just after a consumer camera. For these canikonites Pentax does not compute.
That is something that sadly, most of the people around the world have.. for them a Professional camera is a FF camera.. and thats what they sell.. if the brand doesnt have a FF camera it is underrated automatically, and that is not going to change.. salesmans will still be given that idea to new costumers.. And if they ( salesmans ) use in their own Canikons its even worst, they will push it to sell Canikon because that is the only systems what they "know", and thats what other photographers tells them to use.. And perhaps the costumers doesnt even want a FF camera, but just the fact that the "seller" tells the client that Pentax is not "Professional" will pull them back from buying a pentax camera (even if the client is really insterested in high end APS-C)..

So that is another reason why RICOH/PENTAX needs to release a FF body soon.. so people will not have that excuse for not buying a Pentax system. and that will help sales from entry level cameras to high-end APS-C .. it will be like having a big brother to back them up ( 645Z is a big big brother but kind of lives in another neighboor ).

Last edited by kooks; 11-25-2014 at 11:39 AM.
11-25-2014, 11:13 AM   #118
Veteran Member

Camera house - stopped carrying Pentax several years ago.
JB HIFI - stopped carrying Pentax several years ago.
Photo Continental - stopped carrying Pentax several months ago.
Teds Cameras stopped carrying Pentax just recently.
My local regional Camera House still stocks Pentax, so it's not a chain-wide policy. It depends on the local store manager, I think.
And Teds still feature Pentax a lot on their web site. Since they've been carrying Pentax since the 1970's, I don't see them dropping the brand entirely in store either. But I'll check next time I'm in Sydney or Canberra.

Since CRK distribute so many camera gear brands aside from Pentax/Ricoh (Sigma, Sandisk, LensPen, Tokina, Zeiss, Tamrac, Vanguard, Eyefi, Metz, Black Rapid, Hoya, Kenko, Slik, X-rite etc) which are widely carried in stores in Australia, the low visibilty of Pentax in many stores does puzzle me.
11-25-2014, 12:03 PM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Oh no, I totally agree that they should get a fast zoom in that line up too. A 28-70 2.8 wouldn't be as massive as that 70-200 and would fit in very nicely. The FE lens line-up is still more holes then anything else. No doubt that there's something going to be in there down the road.
Good to hear. Its too bad that Sigma isn't out there filling the gaps in the A7 lineup, like this f2.8 normal zoom. They made those 3 APS primes 19, 30, 60, and then seemingly stopped, unless i haven't been paying attention. It occurs to me that now there is 5-axis stabilization, that those primes I listed before, are all stabilized and so would any normal zoom that Sigma or Tamron would make for the FE or E mount.
11-25-2014, 12:11 PM   #120
Veteran Member

Well... here is me hopping.
I have plans to buy an FF next year... I hope is a Pentax... or else is a Sony . I've waited enough I'd say.