Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
11-20-2014, 06:35 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Full Frame confirmed at Salon de photo (Paris)

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Last weekend I went to Salon de photo (a pseudo-Photokina in France) and talked to some Ricoh staffs, they confirmed that Pentax (Ricoh) full frame will be release in 2015. I asked them if it's just some news or it's official and they reply without hesitation that it's now OFFICIAL !
So one more time Ricoh confirms their full frame release. It's just a matter of months. Prepare your full frame glass and wait for the beloved camera of all time
About the price, Ricoh says that it'll be more expensive than the K3 because of the sensor size (of course) but will be very competitive over other brands
Good news ^^

PS : photo of the Ricoh stand, nice and shine ^^

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
GT-I9100  Photo 
11-20-2014, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seeing is believing, and by that I mean that "official" is not quite official if it's not from head office. Either way, I like my APS-C sensors, so I'm not getting excited. The second the full-frame specs are announced, and then again when it appears in "Preview" sections of major review sites, and then again when it lands in user hands, we'll get the endless griping and whining about what's not good about it, and what was left out, and poorly implemented and ... and... just proving that full-frame has the same lack of ability to bestow real happiness as any other technical advancement. If Pentax does pull off a full-frame camera in 2015, and I think they will, I expect it will be excellent, but as an amateur, I have no need for it.
11-20-2014, 06:57 AM   #3
Banned

Good news for those pining for FF (I'm not one of them). Will be interesting to see if people freak out again if / when they put the Ricoh name on the back, like they did on the K3.
11-20-2014, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by demondata Quote
I expect it will be excellent
see what they do with the K3, I have no doubt that it'd be a very good FF camera, maybe not perfect as it's the first FF of the company but will be a threat to other brands
QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
people freak out again if / when they put the Ricoh name on the back
I personally am not concerned at all if they put Ricoh name on the back or even on the front of the camera, as long as it's a good FF and use K mount lens =))

11-20-2014, 07:04 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
About the price, Ricoh says that it'll be more expensive than the K3 because of the sensor size (of course) but will be very competitive over other brands
Seems like they're not aware of the current prices of the other brands.
11-20-2014, 07:07 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seeing is believing, and by that I mean that "official" is not quite official if it's not from head office. Either way, I like my APS-C sensors, so I'm not getting excited. The second the full-frame specs are announced, and then again when it appears in "Preview" sections of major review sites, and then again when it lands in user hands, we'll get the endless griping and whining about what's not good about it, and what was left out, and poorly implemented and ... and... just proving that full-frame has the same lack of ability to bestow real happiness as any other technical advancement. If Pentax does pull off a full-frame camera in 2015, and I think they will, I expect it will be excellent, but as an amateur, I have no need for it.
Lets see, Pentax FF - used 645D - Pentax FF used 645D... what am I going to save my pennies for? It's the story of my life the last few years.
11-20-2014, 07:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Seems like they're not aware of the current prices of the other brands.
Nikon d750 = $2,296.95
Canon 5D mark II = $2,694.00

Pentax K3 = $896.95
they have a big gap to fill and I didn't mention the price of Canikon flagship like D810 or 5d mark III

---------- Post added 11-20-14 at 03:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Pentax FF - used 645D
it depends on what you want to shoot, 645 is a big fat camera and heavy, usually used in studio with a steady tripod
the FF in my opinion will be a lot lighter and can be easily used handheld

11-20-2014, 07:18 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

GAS costs

Lets see, Pentax FF - used 645D - Pentax FF used 645D... what am I going to save my pennies for? It's the story of my life the last few years.
Yep, saving is the name of the game. For me, it college tuition for my kids
11-20-2014, 07:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
For me, it college tuition for my kids
by any chance, your kids name are Pentax and Ricoh ? just kidding ^^
11-20-2014, 07:31 AM   #10

Nikon d750 = $2,296.95

Pentax K3 = $896.95
they have a big gap to fill and I didn't mention the price of Canikon flagship like D810 or 5d mark III

it depends on what you want to shoot, 645 is a big fat camera and heavy, usually used in studio with a steady tripod
I can't believe it weighs much more than a Bronica ETR, and I'll happily wander around with one of those on a shoulder strap.

Time to stock up on fast 50s, they'll go up in price when a full frame body arrives...
11-20-2014, 07:48 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Nikon d750 = $2,296.95

Pentax K3 = $896.95

When I want lighter and hand held, I use APS-c, FF is for guys who depend on narrow DoF to make their images stand out. I won't have to buy a new camera bag to fit a 645 in there' I'll just leave the A-400 home. I've used 645s hand held without a tripod for great images lots of times. I even have the old waste pack I used to carry my old Mamiya 645 and two lenses in. Or as i just said in another thread... I don't know where you are getting your information from, but they aren't helping you. And to add something new... maybe you shouldn't be assuming that there aren't people on here who know more about these things than you do, or who know what you know, but have a different take on that information. Don't be telling other people what they can and can't do with their gear. As often as not, you'll be corrected.
11-20-2014, 07:55 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Nikon d750 = $2,296.95

Pentax K3 = $896.95

Must be country specific then?

Sony A7: 1299 euros
Pentax K-3: 1211 euros

As soon as the A7II is releaded FF will be cheaper then Pentax APS-C around here.
11-20-2014, 08:02 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Sony A7: 1299 euros
Pentax K-3: 1211 euros

As soon as the A7II is releaded FF will be cheaper then Pentax APS-C around here.
That's just sad. K-3s are under 900 Canadian around here...
New Pentax K 3 Digital SLR Camera Body Only Kit DSLR 15530 | eBay

That's half the price... that's sick.

But it does look like they are dumping those A7 models, possibly in anticipation of the A7II. They must be a lot harder to get rid of than k-3s. Now if they were the same price here, and I could get an A7 for $900, that would be something. But here they are $1599, on sale. Looks like a clear out here too. But still $1800 by the time you've paid the tax.

http://www.henrys.com/search/Sony%20A7.aspx

Last edited by normhead; 11-20-2014 at 08:10 AM.
11-20-2014, 08:14 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
maybe you shouldn't be assuming that there aren't people on here who know more about these things than you do, or who know what you know, but have a different take on that information. Don't be telling other people what they can and can't do with their gear. As often as not, you'll be corrected.
I'm not assuming I know more things than anyone here, it's totally the opposite, I just start shooting DSLR for 4 months, for god's sake =)) everything I said is my own opinion and you do whatever you please. I'm very open to be corrected, that way I learn much faster ^^ thank you for your experience I'll try medium format for sure (both handheld and with tripod) and share the results in our forum, critiques are always welcome ^^

QuoteOriginally posted by Dangermouse Quote
Time to stock up on fast 50s, they'll go up in price when a full frame body arrives...
totally agree I'm hunting on outdoor market here in Paris for old FF lens which cost < 50€

the prize is on amazon.com and it's true, Sony is a becoming more and more interesting and might be a threat to other company !!
11-20-2014, 08:53 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

Is it too early to start a "Why I won't buy a Pentax FF" thread?