Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
12-06-2014, 04:29 PM   #211

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
In all honesty, maybe 10 people in the history of the forum have complained about the size of the APS_c viewfinder. Those who claim they have to have it, are probably right, there is some circumstance where they have to have it, I'm just not sure that this information fits anywhere in the big picture. for most of us. But I'll be happy to take on all comers here. Show me the images where you think you've done really well with MF and a larger view finder, and I'll show you my images that I think were done really well with an APS-c viewfinder and focus confirmation.... but, I'll just add, if you haven't used the 27 point K-3 viewfinder for focus confirmation you have no clue what you're talking about. Apart from just as good IQ as a D610 it's the biggest improvement in the K-3 and a huge improvement over a K-5.

Not even a K3, a K-5, a whole generation ago, A-400 , manual focussed with focus confirmation.

OK show me a similar image and show me how it's better because you manually focussed or you had a bigger viewfinder. OK< forget that even show me any image you think is better because it's manually focussed, or shot with a bigger viewfinder. Forgive me, but I see these conversations, and I don't have a clue what people are talking about, it just doesn't relate to my experience. And please don't even start the "well ya but it's easier, nonsense. Let's stick to things we can verify.
so you shot a perfectly in focus picture - and that proves what?

Nothing.

If somebody has a problem with the viewfinder, if someone has nothing but bad experiences with focus confirmation than that is just a simple fact.

For me(!) focus confirmation in viewfinder with a K-30 is always(!) off. Always. Without any exceptions. While focus peaking in lifeview always(!) works great and makes MF (which I need) work great. Simple fact.

Others have a different experience. So viewfinder and focus confirmation works great for them. Good. Good for them. But that does not invalidate my 'problems' nor does my experience invalidate theirs.

12-06-2014, 04:30 PM   #212
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
OK show me a similar image and show me how it's better because you manually focussed or you had a bigger viewfinder. OK< forget that even show me any image you think is better because it's manually focussed, or shot with a bigger viewfinder. Forgive me, but I see these conversations, and I don't have a clue what people are talking about, it just doesn't relate to my experience. And please don't even start the "well ya but it's easier, nonsense. Let's stick to things we can verify.
Having a bigger VF won't make image better, just easier (to me) to focus right and fast. it's just pure confort.
For example : without AF we can all focus manually, but AF made things easier for most part when it come to focusing on something specifically.
Just pure confort to me
12-06-2014, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #213

manual focus example:

not by choice but by necessity.

Macro: put focus in the closest position and then move camera until the thing you want to shoot is in focus. Impossible (for me) to get right with focus confirmation. Easy with lifeview and peaking.
12-06-2014, 04:55 PM   #214
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Volker76 Quote
Macro: put focus in the closest position and then move camera until the thing you want to shoot is in focus. Impossible (for me) to get right with focus confirmation. Easy with lifeview and peaking.
interesting technique, thanks a lot

12-06-2014, 05:57 PM   #215

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
interesting technique, thanks a lot
You are welcome

The only way to get the subject as big as possible on your sensor.

Works best with a tripod and rail focuser.
12-06-2014, 06:39 PM   #216
Veteran Member

can I have a 36mp full frame mirrorless Pentax with an OLED, silient shutter, and kick ass battery life for $1200-$1500 new please?
12-06-2014, 06:41 PM   #217
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are welcome

The only way to get the subject as big as possible on your sensor.

Works best with a tripod and rail focuser.
Because of course before digital no-one could focus a macro shot.
I agree live view makes it easier, but a good VF (read pentaprism not pentamirror) with properly calibrated screen and focus confirmation is also excellent, If people could focus macro properly with split screen everything we use now whether your technique or Norm's is easier
maybe you are just to young to have done things the old way (and for macro it's always been prefereable to use MF even with AF lenses)

12-06-2014, 06:52 PM   #218

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Because of course before digital no-one could focus a macro shot.
I agree live view makes it easier, but a good VF (read pentaprism not pentamirror) with properly calibrated screen and focus confirmation is also excellent, If people could focus macro properly with split screen everything we use now whether your technique or Norm's is easier
maybe you are just to young to have done things the old way (and for macro it's always been prefereable to use MF even with AF lenses)
show me a pentax made screen with microprism for their current dslr setup. Please do.

Or, try to focus a manual focus lens, without split screen, without micoprism ring, without focus confirmation.

That is fun, right?

So focus confirmation... but sadly that thing is completely useless - at least with my K-30 and for macro work.

Lifeview and focus peaking on the other hand - works like a charm - and shows you where your focus plane actually is.
12-06-2014, 07:05 PM   #219
Veteran Member

show me a pentax made screen with microprism for their current dslr setup. Please do.

Or, try to focus a manual focus lens, without split screen, without micoprism ring, without focus confirmation.

That is fun, right?

So focus confirmation... but sadly that thing is completely useless - at least with my K-30 and for macro work.

Lifeview and focus peaking on the other hand - works like a charm - and shows you where your focus plane actually is.
the best split screens have never been the ones that shipped with the camera, I had a katzeye split screen in my K7 it works well.
In any case if I was using a K30 (or I was using my current cameras) on a rail i'd use the screen and focus peaking its a perfect tool for macro. If you find you can't manually focus your lenses when on walkabout (ie not full on macro shooting) then try a katz eye screen or consider a mirrorless with a good EVF and focus peaking (I can attest to the ease of shooting MF with the Fuji XE1, XE2 and XT1 (I haven't used the others)
all cameras are just tools to achieve your end result if the tool doesn't work for you don't bitch and complain and keep using it change tools to the one that works for you.
12-06-2014, 07:52 PM   #220

you should read what I read above - I am using the screen and focus peaking when using manual lenses/doing macro stuff.

I am not going to buy from Katzeye. With their prices, duties and taxes I can buy a nice 35mm lens AND have some money to spare. Maybe focusing screen. Later.
12-06-2014, 08:17 PM   #221
Veteran Member

Try these guys I had one on the K10 that was stolen (specifically I had a K3 with grid) it was quite good and cheap to boot. simple to instal as well . lots of people have used them on the forum $91 canadian so about 65 euro.

Focusing Screen

Pentax has screens as well but not split prisms
12-10-2014, 10:30 AM   #222
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I find focusing with Live View and zoom in is extremely accurate ! if the subject is not moving then it's fine, wondering if the split screen can handle moving subject ?
12-12-2014, 01:55 PM   #223
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
I find focusing with Live View and zoom in is extremely accurate ! if the subject is not moving then it's fine, wondering if the split screen can handle moving subject ?
Even when I was way younger and had excellent eyesight when I shot sports in high school it was a combination of stopped down as much as possible while still having the speed (so i frequently shot 2 stops pushed on tri-x ) then I would prefocus zones and predict the play - you need to know the game well to manage that so my best shots usually came from sports i played or understood well - I also used a very slow Motor drive once i got one and a bulk film back .... primitive Spray and pray to some degree though it was the way you shot sports back in MF days. as long a lens as you could afford, push the film, shoot stopped down for as wide a dof as you could predictive focus zones and track the play. Easier with football and baseball which are so static, not so easy with soccer and hockey .
easiest despite my dislike of the game was basketball
Skiing was also really easy set up near a good gate and be ready
12-12-2014, 04:41 PM   #224

I actually quite liked focus peaking, but would still much rather use a view finder. Have had no trouble with the VF on my k5 for macros.
12-13-2014, 09:26 AM   #225

Some filosofy thinking ;D

Which sensor it will be? The new Sony sensor is made for mirrorless body with all AF sensors built in in the sensor itself, might not work in a body with mirror - or does it?
If I understood right, the new FF body will be with optical wf, so most probably the new FF will not use the new "fantastic" sensor by Sony.

So, if this is true, then which sensors are available for Ricoh, any ideas?