Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2014, 03:33 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FF could be as (or more) silent as (than) K-3

I came across a patent refering a new " movable mirror shock-absorbing mechanism " which could be intended for the coming FF camera.
Patent nr. 20140321842.
It comes together with another patent " Polarizing Optical Element, Optical Low Pass Filer and Photographing Apparatus " where they state that's easier to manufacture larger low pass fiters, pat nr. 20140333820.

Attached Images

11-25-2014, 03:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting. But low pass filters? I thought the camera industry moved away from those towards sharper photos. Especially Pentax with its simulated AA. Then again, just because its part of the patent, doesn't meant Pentax has to use it.

A more quiet camera would be welcome, though!
11-25-2014, 03:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There are challenges in interactions between shocks and vibrations induced by Mirror and in body image stabilisation. K7 had an issue that affected image sharpness with that, at shutter speeds around 1/100e s. K5 had an improvement, but the issue in not completely resolved. I believe that introducing a full frame Mirror will degrade situation, some new dampers must be introduced, and this is the goal of this system, more than reducing noise.
11-25-2014, 07:01 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Interesting. But low pass filters? I thought the camera industry moved away from those towards sharper photos. Especially Pentax with its simulated AA. Then again, just because its part of the patent, doesn't meant Pentax has to use it.

A more quiet camera would be welcome, though!
It could mean also an "S" version available !!

11-25-2014, 10:14 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
Polarizing Optical Element
Could this be some sort of built in polarizer?
11-25-2014, 11:49 AM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
From what I recall, there was a bit of mystery around the controls / switches / knobs on the prototype lenses shown at Photokina. A built in polariser would fit the bill, and would be a new and (very) novel feature. Interesting....although I'm not sure that's what the patent is referring to.
11-25-2014, 03:37 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
I think not! This polarizing element is very thin and flexible and is used to split the light beam so as to achieve a low pass filter effect.

" [0078] As described above, according to the embodiment, the polarizing optical element 300 and the optical low pass filter 500 which are inexpensive and easy to manufacture, and are adapted for increasing the area thereof are provided. Since the polarizing optical element 300 and the optical low pass filter 500 are light in weight, has a high degree of flexibility and is easy to bend, polarizing optical element 300 and the optical low pass filter 500 can be advantageously accommodated in the photographing apparatus and have the advantage that the surface processing and so on can be applied easily. Therefore, the optical low pass filter 500 is suitable for use as an optical low pass filter for a photographing apparatus. "

12-02-2014, 02:16 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
From what I recall, there was a bit of mystery around the controls / switches / knobs on the prototype lenses shown at Photokina. A built in polariser would fit the bill, and would be a new and (very) novel feature. Interesting....although I'm not sure that's what the patent is referring to.
no, no, no
a polarizer would cost light, why on earth would you build large aperture lens and add a grey filter - best polarizer case - in the center. If you have a rotatable polarizer build in why not otehr filter. And by the way, who missed such a polarizer and how to turn the angle of polarization...