Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
12-04-2014, 12:42 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you didn't like the K5, why would you like the K3? Maybe the bigger brighter view finder of a FF camera would help you capture those dream shots. A full size 100% finder really work great for me. Of course my K5II is a lot of fun to use too, but it can't accept many of my legacy glass as designed.

12-04-2014, 01:09 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Faster lenses always help brighten a view finder. The K3 is appealling with its better JPG output, Towards the end of my K5 i was getting really tired of post processing shadows and highlights. Maybe it was me but from what i see the K3 is supposed to have better shadow/highlight correction and whitebalance in JPG mode. Meaning less time in lightroom and ready to share jpegs
12-04-2014, 02:29 PM   #33
Pentaxian

I'm not much of a photographer but I can chip this much in; when I was asking for advice here some time ago, I knew exactly in what way my gear was limiting me; I could have posted (blurred) photos of my daughter's dance shows and say 'here is where f5.6 and ISO800 just don't cut it'. Once upgraded, I still get (a lot of) bad shots, but now I blame the choice of parameters or the way I hold the camera, or the way I used the flash... better gear would make a difference, but I'm still far from the point where I could confidently say that I gave my best. And I know that because of all those good shots that happen too.
So you have to ask yourself:
1) are there situations where, no matter what, your gear (or APS-C compared to FF) can't pull it off?
2) are they really important to you?
3) more important than the money difference compared to cheaper system?

If answer to all those is Yes then go for it.
12-10-2014, 09:43 AM   #34

Bigger offers more, negligible or not depending on sensor size, but the trade-off between expense and gear bulk/weight was never mentioned--even if $ was no object. The truth is there are fewer lenses available for, say, the Pentax line of cameras if a FF existed. Then there's the matter of packing it around. Would your back/neck stand up to it? For a street/news photographer, the APS-C format has a lot to offer and won't cause disk dislocation. It's been said the BEST camera is the one you have with you. How often would you have an 8x10 with you?...or even an FF? APS-C is about as big as you want to go if you want to remain optimally mobile. FF lenses are bigger, heavier, more expensive. Bigger sensors take a LOT more computer processing for editing and digital storage space. Maybe the landscape photographer can justly lust after an 8x10 camera, but for us mere mortals where human faces are our canvas...not so much.

12-13-2014, 12:05 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So ive decided. Im getting the k3 with the 18-135. Right now both big names offering the k3 with free grips at the same cost. Ill be adding a dg610 super, also same cost but one carrier is including batteries and a charger. I was hoping to use the other guy since i bought my k5 kit new from these guys a couple years ago. Its gonna have to wait til monday though so i can clear cookies and order on a pc. My phones my only internet at home.at least until i start uploading photos again
12-16-2014, 07:09 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd take a K3 over a d610

I can afford the lenses to help make superior pictures
12-16-2014, 07:59 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Its in the mail

12-16-2014, 02:00 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Congrats! Show us some pictures once you get it!
12-16-2014, 02:21 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by no694terry Quote
Faster lenses always help brighten a view finder. The K3 is appealling with its better JPG output, Towards the end of my K5 i was getting really tired of post processing shadows and highlights. Maybe it was me but from what i see the K3 is supposed to have better shadow/highlight correction and whitebalance in JPG mode. Meaning less time in lightroom and ready to share jpegs
While I agree with you on other reasons, 'perceived better' JPEG output (engine) should not be one of the reasons to get the k-3. You should take RAW and optimize your workflow (like presets and actions in Lightroom and photoshop). By the way, k-3 has better and more accurate WB that you will like it.

Enjoy your new camera!!
12-17-2014, 11:43 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Its here, its here. But battery is taking forever to charge. At least its the same as my old k5 battery, i still have a spare one at my office.
12-17-2014, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

Congrats on your decision. I just bought the K-3 too, couldn't pass up the deal at B&H.

Anyone tempted by FF, just be aware of what you are getting size-wise. Here are a few smartphone shots of my K-5 next to a D600, which is the same chassis as the current D610. I got to use the D600 a couple weeks on vacation. Even though it's one of the more compact FF bodies, it is HUGE compared to any Pentax DSLR. And to be honest, other than the AF performance being a couple steps above my K-5, I really wasn't all that impressed when comparing the images to my K-5 images. It was an incremental improvement at best. I like Nikon and if I was going to use a different system, that's probably where I'd go. But there just wasn't much pull after using the D600. I never got used to the control layout either and was constantly fighting the camera.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Lumia 820  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Lumia 820  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Lumia 820  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Lumia 820  Photo 
12-17-2014, 12:40 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
Congrats on your decision. I just bought the K-3 too, couldn't pass up the deal at B&H.

Anyone tempted by FF, just be aware of what you are getting size-wise. Here are a few smartphone shots of my K-5 next to a D600, which is the same chassis as the current D610. I got to use the D600 a couple weeks on vacation. Even though it's one of the more compact FF bodies, it is HUGE compared to any Pentax DSLR. And to be honest, other than the AF performance being a couple steps above my K-5, I really wasn't all that impressed when comparing the images to my K-5 images. It was an incremental improvement at best. I like Nikon and if I was going to use a different system, that's probably where I'd go. But there just wasn't much pull after using the D600. I never got used to the control layout either and was constantly fighting the camera.
I never understand why Nikon (I have the old D70) cameras keep the battery draining (albeit very little) even when the camera is off (look at the top LCD). It does not seem to bother the Nikon users though.
12-19-2014, 06:04 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well the motor in my car blew yesterday so camera time has been limited and at the back of my mind. The controls are similar to my K5 but still different enough that i need to read the manual over. I think I only snapped the shutter a dozen times, mostly inside playing with the DG610. I never had TTL before, but its nice after stepping down the EV 1 stop though for bounce as it kept over exposing. the size is a hair smaller than the K5 until you put the free battery grip on.

And i need to get back into manual controls and better focusing

12-20-2014, 08:51 PM   #44
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The bounce flash over exposure has been an issue with most of the Pentax dSLRs, so you should keep your FEC to around -1.5 to avoid the problem. Congrats on the combination; once you get your car fixed, you'll find more potential to upgrade on lenses and get the results you're after.
12-22-2014, 10:18 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
If you were just recently in financial distress, wouldn't it make more sense to come back a bit more slowly, and build up a savings account so this doesn't happen again?

If so, Pentax is still the king of value I think... plus you already know what lenses you like and don't like. It seems you approved of the 18-135, so a K-5 IIs with that would make a killer setup and you can add a couple manual primes for very little cost and have fun, or get 1 or 2 of the "plastic fantastic" 35mm and 50 mm lenses, and still only be out about a thousand dollars or so. Then a year from now, if your savings account got big, you can decide if you want to upgrade to a full frame camera (which Pentax might have by then).

That's just what I'd do, but it's your money and your peace of mind...

Edit: it seems like you enjoyed your K20D. I enjoy mine and I think it's fantastic for portraits. I haven't seen anything from the newer Pentax cameras that looks as good for skin tones. Plus, I don't know why, its sensor or processor just makes the pictures have this "sharper" look, I don't know how to describe it. For all its shortcomings (older sensor, maybe the AF isn't quite as good - but it works), I am still happy with mine and will probably have it until it dies... honestly, if I had anywhere between 1-2 grand to start a new system, I think I'd spend the 200-250 on the K20D and the rest on good lenses! I think a K20D with an FA 31 Limited will beat a K-3 with 18-135 any day of the week... and that's not a bad reflection on the 18-135, I'm starting to warm up to that lens...
I have been through the same thing. Not once but twice ! The camera and lenses IS your bank savings account.