Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2014, 06:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Love Pentax buy may be switching..

A few months ago I found myself selling my camera to pay some bills. It was a sad day but a nice young enthusiast got my entire K5/18-135 kit and more for a good price and i got to keep my lights on. Times are getting better and I'm looking into cameras again. I started with a K1000, then a K20D then the K5. I bought and resold a lot of lenses because they werent what i expected. So this time I want to buy a good camera and great lenses. For Pentax its the K3 and a bag full of primes i guess. I wanted the K3 since it came out but couldnt afford it and soon i'll be able to but I keep finding myself looking at full frame cameras like the Nikon D610. Its not much more expense, has countless lenses and is FULL FRAME. If i were to stay in the APS-C market then it would be the K3 no question but, for low light and general qulaity its hard to pass up a full frame camera when they are getting more competitive in price.

12-03-2014, 06:27 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Are you looking for recommendations?
Between Canon and Nikon, I'd choose Nikon. I like their cameras and they have some great lenses.
I haven't tried Sony or the other brands.
12-03-2014, 06:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Good luck with whatever you might choose.
Come back and share some pictures with the new gig once you get it.
12-03-2014, 07:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I guess i was looking for a "please dont leave Pentax and reasons why" but yall are too nice for that. I know a couple huge things going for the Pentax for me is price, low light focusing and the faster burst rate. With my kids, 90% of my keepers are from burst shooting. Once they see the camera aimed at them they turn away. I mostly shoot landscape but would like to get more into portraits. I guess the kids lack of cooperation has turned e away from portraits. My K5/18-135 was nice, It was all weather sealed and i didnt need to change lenses often. I just wasnt very happy with the quality, I actually wasnt happy with the K5 that much. I sware i took better pictures with my K20, but maybe i was trying harder.

12-03-2014, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

In the end is whatever makes you happy.
However, don't make your decision based on the fact that is FF. The differences between FF and crop are very... negligible.
Nothing wrong with either format... again, is whatever makes you happy.

I leave you with my favorite video from a professional photographer... and his argument of FF vs crop.

12-03-2014, 07:52 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

If you were just recently in financial distress, wouldn't it make more sense to come back a bit more slowly, and build up a savings account so this doesn't happen again?

If so, Pentax is still the king of value I think... plus you already know what lenses you like and don't like. It seems you approved of the 18-135, so a K-5 IIs with that would make a killer setup and you can add a couple manual primes for very little cost and have fun, or get 1 or 2 of the "plastic fantastic" 35mm and 50 mm lenses, and still only be out about a thousand dollars or so. Then a year from now, if your savings account got big, you can decide if you want to upgrade to a full frame camera (which Pentax might have by then).

That's just what I'd do, but it's your money and your peace of mind...

Edit: it seems like you enjoyed your K20D. I enjoy mine and I think it's fantastic for portraits. I haven't seen anything from the newer Pentax cameras that looks as good for skin tones. Plus, I don't know why, its sensor or processor just makes the pictures have this "sharper" look, I don't know how to describe it. For all its shortcomings (older sensor, maybe the AF isn't quite as good - but it works), I am still happy with mine and will probably have it until it dies... honestly, if I had anywhere between 1-2 grand to start a new system, I think I'd spend the 200-250 on the K20D and the rest on good lenses! I think a K20D with an FA 31 Limited will beat a K-3 with 18-135 any day of the week... and that's not a bad reflection on the 18-135, I'm starting to warm up to that lens...

Last edited by ChristianRock; 12-03-2014 at 08:00 AM.
12-03-2014, 08:00 AM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
If I was starting from scratch, I'd be tempted to go for the Fuji X-T1. Not full frame, but the EVF viewfinder sounds amazing and the low light performance appears to be quite good (though maybe not the best low light AF?). A big bright viewfinder is the only thing lacking to me for aps-c cameras. Some people describe it as like having a digital LX.

If you like the size of the k1000 and don't need an AF lens beyond 200mm, may be worth a look. They appear to have some really nice and fast primes.
12-03-2014, 08:08 AM   #8
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by no694terry Quote
I guess i was looking for a "please dont leave Pentax and reasons why" but yall are too nice for that. I know a couple huge things going for the Pentax for me is price, low light focusing and the faster burst rate. With my kids, 90% of my keepers are from burst shooting. Once they see the camera aimed at them they turn away. I mostly shoot landscape but would like to get more into portraits. I guess the kids lack of cooperation has turned e away from portraits. My K5/18-135 was nice, It was all weather sealed and i didnt need to change lenses often. I just wasnt very happy with the quality, I actually wasnt happy with the K5 that much. I sware i took better pictures with my K20, but maybe i was trying harder.
No one can change your mind, except you. We would hate to see you leave Pentax; however our reasons for staying with Pentax would differ from your reasons for staying/leaving. It seems more like you want validation for leaving; and again that decision must be made by you. Whatever you choose, I wish you the very best luck with it, and hope you are able to get great photos that you'll be happy with.

12-03-2014, 09:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok. Maybe its just the 18-135 turning me away. I had a Tamron 17-50 and that may have been my favorite lens. I used it mostly on the K20. My next favorite was probably the Sigma 105 macro. I just got tired of changing lenses at events and went the 18-135 route when i took a vacation to Punta Cana. The WR was a blessing down there. Especially from taking the camera out of the air conditioned room to outside and all the fog on the glass as a result
12-03-2014, 09:25 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I love using Pentax and don't plan to switch. However, if I started to get more into using artificial light and more complex set-ups (either with flash or studio lights) for portraits, I might try Nikon. I've heard that its TTL is better and I find that when I bring my Pentax to a flash or studio set-up at school, it's always complicated (and sometimes impossible) to get Pentax to do everything that Nikon does. My instructors aren't familiar with Pentax, so it's hard to get really knowledgeable and focused feedback on technique. (I know that with more dedication and focused learning I could get Pentax to work better, but I'm a bit of a tech idiot, so the learning curve is particularly steep for me.)
12-03-2014, 09:29 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Hi Terry,

Took a look at your pictures..... really very nice compositions and varied content. You for sure have the photography bug in you which will likely always be there. These are tough times for a lot of us so there are plenty of folks on this Forum who understand your situation firsthand. Maybe for the time being pick up a K5ll or lls and the 18-135 again. Pentax appears to be going to offer a full frame camera next year so for the next couple years shoot with the K5ll and enjoy photography and then see what life brings you in a couple years.

Like the others mentioned, there's nothing wrong with Nikon and Canon options. They've been making great stuff for 50 years but you might be happier continuing with the system you have come to know.

Best of luck to you and your family. Bob
12-03-2014, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

WR cameras, incredibly well built very small lenses, best online community in the camera world. Good luck with your decision.
12-03-2014, 09:35 AM   #13
Forum Member

I guess it'll depend on what your priority subjects are. For landscape, Pentax is at awesome value with WR, but Nikon do have edge on auto-focus for sports, candid and snapshots for portraits.
To me, there's no 'better' brand... just 'better fit' for your need, and there's nothing wrong with making choice on what's available for you.
12-03-2014, 09:40 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Either way you go, try whatever camera you are thinking about before you commit. No use buying a cmaera that might be technically superior in some respects but which has ergonomics you hate.

Also, if price is your main concern, there have been many fantastic package deals on the K-3 lately, e.g. The K-3 with battery grip and 50mm lens for less than a D-610 body. The cost of adding a lens and other accessories to a FF package might make the price gap somewhat wider than it seems at first blush.
12-03-2014, 10:02 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by no694terry Quote
A few months ago I found myself selling my camera to pay some bills. It was a sad day but a nice young enthusiast got my entire K5/18-135 kit and more for a good price and i got to keep my lights on. Times are getting better and I'm looking into cameras again. I started with a K1000, then a K20D then the K5. I bought and resold a lot of lenses because they werent what i expected. So this time I want to buy a good camera and great lenses. For Pentax its the K3 and a bag full of primes i guess. I wanted the K3 since it came out but couldnt afford it and soon i'll be able to but I keep finding myself looking at full frame cameras like the Nikon D610. Its not much more expense, has countless lenses and is FULL FRAME. If i were to stay in the APS-C market then it would be the K3 no question but, for low light and general qulaity its hard to pass up a full frame camera when they are getting more competitive in price.
For "bang for the buck," Pentax is ahead of most other brands. I switched from Canon, mostly for sentimental reasons as Pentax MX was my first camera ever. I have the K3 and it is fantastic. I used to be a wedding photographer (with my Canons). I do not do weddings anymore. I am interested in portrait and nature photography for my personal use. For commercial work, I do occasional product photography.

If you want to do serious nature work and sell the work, there is no substitute for lots of megapixels, 645z is what you need for that. For the rest of the work you can get away with a K3 set .

Good luck with you decision.