Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2014, 10:02 PM   #91
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Clavius, shot some film on something like an MZ-3 once in a while and it will help you break the "chimping" habit.

laugh

12-13-2014, 02:06 AM   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
The OVF isn't designed for image review, that isn't a fault. If you have good technique you would know what you have captured the scene correctly, instead of chimping while time and opportunity goes by. That is the difference between professional and an amateur.
Yes, that's how you're supposed to use excel as wel. Placing numbers on a sheet and calculate the formulas in your head yourself. I COULD do that... But for some odd reason I don't.

I COULD navigate 600kms away to my destination using a paper map too. Always did that just fine. But for some reason, I don't.

I see no shame in chimping whatsoever when I'm going for very specific effects or looks. Anyone who claims to never chimp is simply lying.

You are using slow lenses in dark environments. That is a common technical fault with people new to photography - nothing to do the with the OVF. A camera equipped with an EVF would become grainy under those same circumstances, if it didn't the manufacturer is applying NR to the video stream which will reduce scene detail,and it would increase display lag and make it harder to focus especially on moving subjects.
You should do some research on current EVF's.

The camera isn't responsible for you looking like a douche - you are, this comes from your own hang-ups and psychological insecurities. No camera can stop you from being insecure.
Nothing to do with insecurity. I don't carry a big fat DSLR for the same reason I don't carry a walking stick, pipe, sandals with socks. I don't do Nordic Walking either.

I recommend you see your optician or calibrate your diopter and AF system properly.
My eyes are fine. I had my DSLRs calibrated for years. Untill I started doing it myself better. But all those years of frustrating ended with attaching just one lens to one mirrorless camera. All that time, money and frustration solved in an instant.

It's like going to a restaurant and complaining that your spoon cannot cut a steak.
So it would be the guests fault that the restaurant serves steak with a spoon and not a knife? I knew it! Everything is upside down in Australia! Sorry, but this analogy is spot one. An OVF is indeed the spoon and the EVF the knife and I'm having steak. I'll keep the spoon too though, I may end up using it for desert.
12-13-2014, 03:48 AM   #93
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Although I hope they opt for a OVF, if a new Pentax full-frame comes only with an EVF (Sony A7 style), I think I will learn to like the EVF no matter how it performs.
12-13-2014, 04:50 AM   #94
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've never found the OVF on an APS-C camera anything to write home about. It's simply too small, something that an EVF can best because the EVF isn't obliged to be a certain size. I would welcome an EVF on a Pentax SLR. It could offer a larger view and, simply, be more useful. If something is practical and adds useful capabilities, then usually I'm all for it. And no chimping is a farce; there's all this info on the back of a camera now so why not use it, especially the histogram for ETTR. Clearly there are circs in which one wouldn't want to chimp (speed, distractions, spoiling being in the groove, etc) but as a general rule it's like saying never trust a man who wears red socks. Anyway, I won't be lying in the road grimly clutching a riding crop in a lonely pro-equine protest as Herr Daimler and Herr Benz approach in their new machine.