Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
12-07-2014, 03:32 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Full frame on DSLR or Mirrorless

Now that Pentax FF is already confirmed, the question now is to which camera line do you think they should put this sensor? DSLR or Mirrorless.
IMO to both.

12-07-2014, 03:44 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Does pentax have a mirrorless lens line up capable of covering a 24X36mm sensor? No. If Pentax Produces a full frame camera there is a high chance it will be in the form of an SLR.
12-07-2014, 04:20 AM   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Does pentax have a mirrorless lens line up capable of covering a 24X36mm sensor? No. If Pentax Produces a full frame camera there is a high chance it will be in the form of an SLR.

The K-01 could handle the FF image circle so any FA or earlier lens could be used if they were inclined to continue down that path.
12-07-2014, 04:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lakai Quote
Now that Pentax FF is already confirmed,
Confirmed by everyone except for Ricoh?

12-07-2014, 05:18 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
The K-01 could handle the FF image circle so any FA or earlier lens could be used if they were inclined to continue down that path.
yes, however the whole concept of mirrorless was to make cameras compact the K01 was an experiment, nothing more. the K01 has enough space for a reflex mirror behind the lens mount however pentax chose to omit that, remove the entire pentaprism OVF system as well and make it a mirrorless camera.

i'm talking about real mirrorless cameras like the Leica M series with their 27.80mm flange which makes them much more compact than SLRs. The K01 had the same flange as an SLR, 45.46mm which for a mirrorless camera is completely unnecessary and defeats the purpose of making a mirrorless camera in the first place.
12-07-2014, 08:45 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I think it will be very close to a K3 just a larger hump for the pentaprism. A lot of cost could be saved in not having to remake parts.
And having a small camera was always a Pentax trademark.Then again something like an ME with a swivel screen would be cool.
look at the Nikon D300 and D700 for example.
12-07-2014, 09:34 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Lakai Quote
Now that Pentax FF is already confirmed
Did I miss that Pentax announcement? as much as I would like it to be true.

12-07-2014, 09:40 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
i'm talking about real mirrorless cameras like the Leica M series with their 27.80mm flange which makes them much more compact than SLRs. The K01 had the same flange as an SLR, 45.46mm which for a mirrorless camera is completely unnecessary and defeats the purpose of making a mirrorless camera in the first place.
Yes, no need for that flange for a mirrorless, but you must understand that they needed to unless they produced a completely new lens line, just because the K-mount needs that 45.46 flange.
12-07-2014, 10:03 AM   #9
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
Yes, no need for that flange for a mirrorless, but you must understand that they needed to unless they produced a completely new lens line, just because the K-mount needs that 45.46 flange.
I have a very strong feeling that Digitalis does understand
12-07-2014, 10:23 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
I have a very strong feeling that Digitalis does understand
12-07-2014, 03:49 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
you must understand that they needed to unless they produced a completely new lens line, just because the K-mount needs that 45.46 flange.
If pentax went mirrorless they would have to shrug off the K mount, and develop a new line of lenses suited to a short flange more appropriate for a mirorless system. Building a flagship FF mirrorless camera but using a flange distance equal to that of an SLR would probably be one of the dumbest things ever done so far in the history of digital photography.
12-07-2014, 03:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I think building an APS-C mirrorless with that flange distance is worse.
12-07-2014, 03:52 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
think building an APS-C mirrorless with that flange distance is worse.

well Pentax has already done it..
12-07-2014, 04:36 PM   #14
JPT
Pentaxian

I think we should be prepared for either eventuality, I think there's sense in both. However, I can see why mirror less might be more attractive to Ricoh.

Firstly, the DSLR market doesn't seem very strong, even compared to cameras as a whole, which aren't doing very well themselves. By the time Ricoh has built up a competitive lens line up, will anyone be in the market for a DSLR at all?

A slightly different angle to think about it is who could you reasonably expect to buy a full frame DSLR? Certainly a few thousand on this forum, probably more than that in Japan, but that's certainly not enough. Ricoh would have to hope that some of the deserters to Canikon come back and they would also have to hope that brand agnostic shoppers would choose Pentax over the competitors, who have very strong offerings. Sony's A7 shows there is a market for FF mirror less. If Ricoh can do it better and offer more attractive lenses, they have a real chance.

On the other hand, we don't know how much sentimental attachment Ricoh has to K-mount. Japanese companies can be surprisingly sentimental about their heritage, so that may influence them too.

Ultimately, I think I'd be happier to see a mirrorless because I think it has a better chance of success. If you believe that DSLR are on their way out, then having a good mirrorless camera with a same brand adapter ensures that your lenses will be usable in years to come.

Last edited by JPT; 12-08-2014 at 03:25 AM.
12-07-2014, 05:57 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

I think Pentax should make their first steps into FF as a conventional DSLR, maybe akin to a D750. It's simpler, they know how to build them, lots of stuff (lenses etc) will just work, there may even be some production efficiencies, and that's what a lot of people want to buy. And DSLR's don't seem to be dying anytime soon - the D750 seems to be a great hit, as is the new Canon 7D2.

Then release mirrorless - maybe a FF, maybe just another APS-C, maybe both (like Sony). Perhaps really do something super-efficient with the design of the body too, to allow conventional K-mount to live happily on the body without it being as boxy as the K-01.