Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2014, 10:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Any Pentax FF camera field testers out there?

As 2015 approaches, I'm curious how close we are in reality to a Pentax FF.

I know this is a long shot, but are there any folks out there who can confess to field testing a Pentax FF prototype?

Sure, there is probably a NDA that any testers would have signed that prohibits discussion of the product (like there was in many of the software beta programs I have participated in in the past), but would it also prohibit revealing the simple fact of being a field tester?

12-15-2014, 10:13 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
NDA? What NDA? Oh! That NDA!

Steve
12-15-2014, 10:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I see the dilemma.
'When did you stop beating your wife'.
12-15-2014, 10:24 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I see the dilemma.
Some time after the divorce...I think...

Steve

12-15-2014, 10:53 PM - 1 Like   #5
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I tested a FF Pentax. I have it in my car. It takes film. I like digital much better.

Ohh, you didn't mean that kind of FF?
12-15-2014, 11:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Ohh, you didn't mean that kind of FF?
Sorry, I should have made my request clearer.
I seek full-frame DSLR field testers. No film users pls.

Although it would be kind of interesting to see Pentax re-entering the film market
Stranger things have happened in the world. But it's not what I seek.
12-15-2014, 11:40 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I see the dilemma.
Wait, is this the NFL we're talking about?

---------- Post added 12-16-14 at 01:42 AM ----------

Sorry, I should have made my request clearer.
I seek full-frame DSLR field testers. No film users pls.

Although it would be kind of interesting to see Pentax re-entering the film market
Stranger things have happened in the world. But it's not what I seek.
Doesn't Pentax have a patent for translucent-mirror tech, kinda like Sony?

12-16-2014, 12:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Wait,

Doesn't Pentax have a patent for translucent-mirror tech, kinda like Sony?
here: Ricoh ???????????????????????????????So-net???

btw, I believe PENTAX only have Japan local "beta tester", like when they introduce the 645D, already have several photographer's images.
better luck trying a Japan-based forum.
12-16-2014, 12:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
I believe PENTAX only have Japan local "beta tester",
That sounds about right.

But when you sell internationally, it wouldn't hurt them to go broad geographically. And cover a range of usage profiles (weddings, studio, sports, wildlife, videographers ? etc). Helps stomp bugs.
12-16-2014, 01:16 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes, THAT NDA. And the fear of being sent to the 9th circle of hell for treachery...
12-16-2014, 02:22 AM   #11
HYS
Veteran Member

According to the latest patents Nikon is working on a fullframe mirrorless. Maybe they are cooperated with Ricoh.

Last edited by HYS; 12-16-2014 at 02:42 AM.
12-16-2014, 02:48 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HYS Quote
Maybe they are cooperated with Ricoh.
A Rikon mirrorless FF would be fun. With dual F and K mount support
12-16-2014, 03:12 AM   #13
Veteran Member

So first all threads eventually end up being FF threads. Now all FF threads eventually end up being mirror vs mirrorless battles.

If I was field-testing a Pentax digital FF camera, I wouldn't disclose it. Not to mention that I wouldn't disclose it on the biggest most popular Pentax-user forum in the world.

...Well ok then, I'll spill the beans, it's a DSLR based on the 12mp hyper-sensitive sensor that is also used in the A7s. It does 12 fps. And the AF, including tracking AF, is amazing. It's the exact size of the K-5 though, so it's to small to be ergonomic and at the sime time to big and cumbersome for me to really take with me all the time. I just keep using my smartphone instead because it's always right there.

And the new lenses are really something else... That Pentax HD DFA 50 1.2 WR DC makes this new camera feel extra at home in low light. I like the new coloursheme as well. Pitch black with fluoresant yellow ring. Same goes for the Pentax HD DFA 85mm f1.4 WR DC and the Pentax HD DFA 135mm f1.8 WR DC. Latter two are a bit to long for me. I'll be receiving the HD DFA 21mm f1.8 WR DC for testing next week. Looking forward to that one!

Last edited by Clavius; 12-16-2014 at 06:09 AM.
12-16-2014, 04:08 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I'll spill the beans, it's a DSLR based on the 12mp hyper-sensitive sensor that is also used in the A7s. It does 12 fps. And the AF, including tracking AF, is amazing. It's the exact size of the K-5 though
That is strange, the model they sent me was based on a Pentax LX, the camera is a bit taller with an un-crippled KAF4 mount*, made of solid mag-alloy the camera houses a full FX format 24Mp BSI Sensor, with a global shutter. It has built in WI-FI with a modular EVF/OVF that you can physically detach from the camera and maintain live view (this works in EVF mode only, it also has a small rechargeable battery that charges from the primary camera battery). and on the subject of batteries, you know the baseplate on the LX? - that is now an entire battery, at 1/2" thick 5" long battery I was able to get about 1500 shots out of it per charge. Pentax also has a second battery option which doubles as a grip which nearly triples the battery capacity, it includes a shutter release, 4 way controller with AF and metering selection dials on it and some programmable controls (sadly, no AA battery compatibility). the camera has a built in viewfinder curtain - which actually covers the focusing screen - the camera automatically deploys this when you detach the OVF/EVF, which also has a rear blind of its own to protect the internal optics.

*dimensions of the new mount are noticeably larger than the previously existing KAF3 mount the flange is identical the the original K mount - the increased diameter is to allow pentax to make a greater variety of wide aperture lenses without hitting the Achilles heel of the K mount.

Last edited by Digitalis; 12-16-2014 at 09:31 AM.
12-16-2014, 05:10 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
That is strange, the model they sent me was based on a Pentax LX, the camera is a bit taller with an un-crippled KAF4 mount*, made of solid mag-alloy the camera houses a full FX format 24Mp BSI Sensor, with a global shutter. It has built in WI-FI with a modular EVF/OVF that you can physically detach from the camera and maintain live view (this works in EVF mode only, it also has a small rechargable battery that charges from the primary camera battery). adn on the subject of batteries, you know the baseplate on the LX? - that is now an entire battery, at 1/2" thick 5" long battery I was able to get about 1500 shots out of it per charge. Pentax also has a second battery option which doubles as a grip which nearly triples the battery capacity, it includes a shutter release, 4 way controller with AF and metering selection dials on it and some programmable controls (sadly, no AA battery compatibility). the camera has a built in viewfinder curtain - which actually covers the focusing screen - the camera automatically deploys this when you detach the OVF/EVF, which also has a rear blind of its own to protect the internal optics.

*dimensions of the new mount are noticeably larger than the previously existing KAF3 mount the flange is identical the the original K mount - the increased diameter is to allow pentax to make a greater variety of wide aperture lenses without hitting the Achilles heel of the K mount.
Wow, multiple models!? (Nothing wrong with our fantasy and creativity.)

A bit of seriousness about the last part that I made bold. You'd like to faster then f1.2?