Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
12-23-2014, 05:09 AM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
We only have to look back at how many rumors and hypothetical discussions there were about the 645D before it became a reality. Pentax never seems to be in a hurry to introduce a new format. Just as well. Maybe there won't be any oil spots (D600) or light leaks (D750) for the early adopters to moan about.
Agree...I dont mind to wait anymore (I got my K3 yesterday,lol, its sooo good). If pentax make the KFF, it cannot have any issues at all, that would kill the proyect like forever. Nikon can survive at the D600 and D750 issues, but no Pentax.

Anyway, when I have doubts if I need a Pentax FF, then I remember that Sigma is coming with a 24-70 F2, and I realize that that would be a 17-50 F1.4 it therms of focal lenght and amount of total light. Imagine that lens on your K3....

Last edited by Enrique S Toso; 12-23-2014 at 05:16 AM.
12-23-2014, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #32
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Here are some pics from the MZ-S:
DA 560mm F5.6 - is it a Full-frame lens? - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

The lens can certainly be used on FF- you don't get black edges like with certain wide DA zooms. But I don't believe Pentax engineers had FF in mind when they designed the 560mm, as otherwise they would have fixed the vignetting. That's just my opinion.
That looks like an APS-H lens.....

12-23-2014, 08:05 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

The lens can certainly be used on FF- you don't get black edges like with certain wide DA zooms. But I don't believe Pentax engineers had FF in mind when they designed the 560mm, as otherwise they would have fixed the vignetting. That's just my opinion.
My DA 18-135 vignettes worse than that on a regular basis....
12-23-2014, 08:25 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Ricoh's folks could instead indicate very clearly in interviews that they are on the job, on the ball and about to wow us all with a raft of top new APS-C products...........................Do you see execs from Nikon or Fuji, say, carrying on like this.
I think the problem is that they are not 100% committed to any one direction, which makes it difficult for them to issue clear statements. Fuji is obviously very committed to APS-C and Fuji has clear direction/leadership. Nikon is pretty dedicated to FF. They have done very little with APS-C bodies this past year. D610, Df, D750, D810, & D4s are all FF bodies released in the last 12 month. Since the K-3 was released Nikon has put 5 FF bodies on the market. It seems pretty clear that Nikon is pushing up market.

What is going on with Ricoh?
1. Not willing to communicate?
2. Not able to communicate?
3. They are not committed to any one direction yet, so they can't communicate a plan?

No company, not even Canon, can sit quietly and grow/maintain market share. I expect Canon will have a huge roll-out at CP+. They have got to do something. The 7DII sensor is 2 generations behind Sony and Samsung.

---------- Post added 12-23-14 at 09:28 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Enrique S Toso Quote
I remember that Sigma is coming with a 24-70 F2, and I realize that that would be a 17-50 F1.4 it therms of focal lenght and amount of total light. Imagine that lens on your K3....
If Sigma makes the lens in K-mount. Sigma has been cutting back on K-mount lenses. They can't keep up with demand for Canon and Nikon mounts. They just released the 50mm Art for Alpha mount 1 year after it was released for Canon & Nikon. There are no plans to produce a 50mm Sigma Art lens for K-mount.

12-23-2014, 08:32 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I think the problem is that they are not 100% committed to any one direction, which makes it difficult for them to issue clear statements. Fuji is obviously very committed to APS-C and Fuji has clear direction/leadership. Nikon is pretty dedicated to FF. They have done very little with APS-C bodies this past year. D610, Df, D750, D810, & D4s are all FF bodies released in the last 12 month. Since the K-3 was released Nikon has put 5 FF bodies on the market. It seems pretty clear that Nikon is pushing up market.

3. They are not committed to any one direction yet, so they can't communicate a plan?

No company, not even Canon, can sit quietly and grow/maintain market share. I expect Canon will have a huge roll-out at CP+. They have got to do something. The 7DII sensor is 2 generations behind Sony and Samsung.
Pentax is too small to fully support the development of 4 different formats: Medium, FF, APS-C, and Q. Remember that Hoya gutted the lens developer department with the best leaving for other companies like Tamron. Ricoh has realigned so that the compacts are all branded Ricoh, have updated the Q's sensor, built a killer Medium format camera that is gaining rave reviews, and they've kept updating the APS-C lens roadmap. I'm not an apologist, Ricoh has messed up many times too - all one has to do is look at the sorted history of the "Official" Pentax webstore to know that they've been asleep at the wheel on several fronts. However, things actually look pretty positive for Pentax now that Ricoh appears to be committed to putting genuine support into the brand.
12-23-2014, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

As I said, the problem with that assertion is that other FF lenses also have relatively high levels of vignetting, even in excess of 1EV. For example, -1.1EV for the $10500 Canon 400mm f/2.8 L IS II:
Tests and reviews for the lens Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM - DxOMark
Or for the Nikkor 500mm f/4:
Tests and reviews for the lens Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/4G ED VR - DxOMark
And you can find many other examples, with at least 1EV of vignetting. Other sites measured higher levels (different methodology?), e.g. 1.6EV for the Canon 500mm f/4 IS II:
Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS II USM Lens Review
Neither Canon nor Nikon thought they should "fix" the vignetting before announcing those lenses as "full frame". Nobody would dare to call those lenses APS-C only.

That's why I'm saying, the conclusion was hasty and uninformed. Yet Pentaxforums would rather stand behind it instead of making a correction.

Keep in mind I'm not saying this is a FF lens. It could very well be, "just in case" is IMO a good reason in this case (expensive, specialized lens which probably they don't want to replace soon). Or its observed apparent compatibility might be a coincidence.
12-23-2014, 10:57 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote

I'd say Ricoh is way more communicative than Nikon was before the D3 I don't remember Nikon admitting they're working on it, neither saying they "might" be launching "something" soon... it was silence and then, poof! here is the camera.

Last edited by Kunzite; 12-23-2014 at 11:22 AM.
12-24-2014, 07:26 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
The Japanese magazine "Digital Camera Magazine published interviewed with the main eight camera manufacturers this weekend. I only have the print version, but it may be put on the associated DC Watch website in the coming days. That would make it easier to run it through a translator. (...)
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
(...)

In the magazine it says that the interviews will be also available on the DC Watch website some time after December 22. Today (Dec 23) is a national holiday, but 24-26 are working days, so it might be available later this week. That will allow us to put it through Google translate.
The first two interviews with Canon and Nikon executives were published today by Digital Camera Watch:

Canon: Google Translate

Nikon: Google Translate
12-24-2014, 05:44 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sony and Olympus just came out too....
12-24-2014, 07:53 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All I can say at this point is "Whatever!"
12-25-2014, 06:20 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
All I can say at this point is "Whatever!"
Do you do the limp wrist wave and make a funny face while you do that? We need a video.
12-25-2014, 07:31 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Do you do the limp wrist wave and make a funny face while you do that? We need a video.
More of a fist-clenched, neck-vein-popping, roaring sort of thing, actually.
12-25-2014, 07:34 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
More of a fist-clenched, neck-vein-popping, roaring sort of thing, actually.
I've never seen a "whatevah" like that... we definitely need a video..
12-25-2014, 07:49 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Interesting; both Canon and Nikon were talking about higher resolution cameras.
12-25-2014, 09:43 AM   #45
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Interesting; both Canon and Nikon were talking about higher resolution cameras.
So on CP+ we are going to see a 36 megapixel APS-C camera?