Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
01-25-2015, 07:27 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
No one system offers perfect solution for every photographic challenge.
+1. These discussions often forget this simple fact. Alongside the system, sometimes it's also just that one camera won't do everything. A 645Z isn't a Polaroid, a 1Dx isn't a K-3.

01-25-2015, 11:08 PM   #32
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JayR Quote
So its looking like I'll be getting the Canon 6D, the 24 TSE, the 24-105 for a walk around and then the 17 TSE and some primes...
If only the Autofocus of the Sony A7 thing worked or there was an easy way of using pentax and canon lenses interchangeably.
if you are serious about t/s, the a7r will give you better pq than any camera body that canon currently has on the market... check out this old fred miranda review from last year:
My Sony A7R review - FM Forums

with rumors of an a7r replacement coming out soon, this could be be a good time to get an a7r body used or on sale.

hang onto at least some of the pentax gear while things shake out.
01-26-2015, 12:50 AM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
How fast does your autofocus need to be to shoot buildings or landscapes from a tripod?

And How about Sensor shift composition/perspective adjustment:
Composition Adjustment/Sensor Shift...are you using it?

Sensor Shift in Action: Increasing Field of View
Thanks for the link, a very useful feature that I had never heard of (I'm still on the old K20).
Amazingly noone seems to have noticed it, they all keep talking about other cameras and t/s lenses...
Anyway, perhaps the OP is already off to CanonLand ;-)
01-26-2015, 02:14 AM   #34

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Sadly not anywhere near wide enough, especially on crop!

01-26-2015, 04:20 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Take a look here for what can be done with some Pentax cameras. Seems to apply to K5 and later.

> Re: Perspective Control with the K-5: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
01-26-2015, 07:06 AM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I settled on the A7 as my solution for all my old manual SLR lenses. Finally my SMC-M 20mm is an ultra wide again on digital. All my old lenses work fine for me, so finding a digital FF body that works with them (including the Canon FL/FD, Nikon F, and Leica R) is a better solution than selling all and investing in a new system. Plus I still have them when I want to shoot film. The A7 is my digital LX.
01-26-2015, 07:27 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eyeswideshut Quote
Amazingly noone seems to have noticed it, they all keep talking about other cameras and t/s lenses...
It's a great idea in principle, but with only 1.5mm of shift it isn't really all that useful.

Depending on how wide you need to go and how much shift you need, another option is a 645D with the 25mm or the new wide zoom, cropping as needed to keep the camera level. Cost would be similar to a pro Canon body with 2 t/s lenses.

[Edit]: But I'm not trying to talk you out of the Canon solution. Those t/s lenses are very attractive.

01-26-2015, 08:21 AM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
It's a great idea in principle, but with only 1.5mm of shift it isn't really all that useful.

Depending on how wide you need to go and how much shift you need, another option is a 645D with the 25mm or the new wide zoom, cropping as needed to keep the camera level. Cost would be similar to a pro Canon body with 2 t/s lenses.

[Edit]: But I'm not trying to talk you out of the Canon solution. Those t/s lenses are very attractive.
Thanks baro-nite. Although I wonder if shifting the sensor doesn't have some sort of magnifying effect vs shifting the lens?
01-26-2015, 08:35 AM   #39
Veteran Member

All the wheels turn backwards on Canon. I never understood that.

Also, you can do everything you want with a Sony E, Fuji X, or quite frankly Pentax K-5/K-3. You can also do it on a Canon system if you want, it really is a preference.
01-26-2015, 09:02 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eyeswideshut Quote
Thanks baro-nite. Although I wonder if shifting the sensor doesn't have some sort of magnifying effect vs shifting the lens?
No, the geometry of shifting the lens vs. shifting the sensor is the same, other than the slight change in perspective you get when shifting the lens without moving instead of the camera.
01-26-2015, 09:18 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JayR Quote
Well I was hoping for perhaps some insights or ideas I hadnt considered for being able to stick with Pentax in some way (ala the Sony A7 with multiple adaptors etc) rather than just adios!
So why don't you just ask that rather than start the thread with a drama title?

You can have m42 and m39 tilt adapters for Sony, but as far as I know, no actual shift adapters.
I haven't seen any tilt adapters for the PK mount to EF mount.

You can buy some PK lenses that are shift and tilt... but they are rare and mostly manual... and cost an arm and a leg.

Btw, you can build your own tilt and shift adapter if you are inclined to and use any lens you want for a fraction of the cost.
Just do a search on Google for DIY... plenty of ideas on how to do it.
One quick search... http://cow.mooh.org/projects/tiltshift/diyguide.html

Last edited by mrNewt; 01-26-2015 at 09:31 AM.
01-26-2015, 09:25 AM   #42
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
JayR, if you go, we'll be sorry to see it.
On the other hand if Pentax doesn't have the gear you need, what else can you do?

I did find this very old thread: I haven't looked at the links but you may find something to interest you.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/1627-tilt-shift-pentax.html
Scheider has some tilt shift options for k-mount but they are ~$3000 to $8000 proposition for 90mm, 50mm and 28mm. That price is also for Canon, Nikon and Sony as well.

SLR Lenses, DSLR Lenses | B&H Photo Video
01-26-2015, 09:37 AM   #43

Has anyone mentioned these guys?

Arax Photo | Specials | ARAX 2.8/35mm Tilt & Shift lens.
01-26-2015, 09:42 AM   #44
Pentaxian

There are a few guys doing tilt shift on Pentax. The way I see it, if you need tilt shift, buy a camera for tilt shift, whatever appeals to you. Or get a Sigma 8-16 and stand on a chair or ladder, or half way up the building across the street. Get rid of your other gear based on that? That's just crazy talk. You don't throw away your point and shoot because you have a hi res camera with a 1000 mm lens in your airplane.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to have tilt shift, but in my case, it's like, the Rokinon 24 TS is $1000. That's a lot to pay for images that are going to require a lot of fussing and fiddling. There are some scenes that are much more compelling shooting tilt shift. There are other scenes that workout just fine with a fisheye or heavily corrected lens like the 8-16. IN my case, I pick what I shoot. If you can't pick what you shoot and you're getting paid, buy what you need. For myself to buy gear, I like to think 20 times the cost of the gear as possible income in a nice cost benefit scenario if it's long term. A one off job, I'll buy equipment just for the job, but it better pay me a lot.. Then I won't feel like I'm working just for the cost of the gear.

Unless of course it's gear I really want, in which case I'm happy to have a job or two that helps me pay for what I want. Having worked with tilt shift in the field I ask myself... do I really want to do that again?
01-26-2015, 09:49 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Also, tilt and shift nowadays can be done in PP ... no need for the actual lenses.