Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2015, 09:33 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
My wife shoots weddings and her second shooters shoot Canon - 5D MK II and 70D and she has had more difficulty with white balance with those cameras than with the K3. Not sure if that is an experience that you can extrapolate to anything else, but she would never buy a Canon based on this experience.
Rondec,
Just look at the color rendering quality you get out of the brick on a daily basis with quality lenses on your landscapes. It must be a genetic thing with Pentax.

01-27-2015, 10:59 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
My wife shoots weddings and her second shooters shoot Canon - 5D MK II and 70D and she has had more difficulty with white balance with those cameras than with the K3. Not sure if that is an experience that you can extrapolate to anything else, but she would never buy a Canon based on this experience.
Almost exactly my experience, but my most recent second shooter was using the 5D MK III and 70D. Some contributions came in some years from other Canon models.
01-27-2015, 09:03 PM   #78

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
I think you planned poorly when you did the pictures. The end result looks like a flat piece of cardboard - you should of included the sides of the building.

The angle however to begin with is quite bad. Even a tilt shift won't help much in this situation to be honest. You are too close and too low. Recomposing to have stitch-able images with a tilt-shift and make sure you get the same angle every time you move the camera will be a nightmare. You need to find a better angle - up on the building nearby or from a window of a close by building... you need to get higher.
Which is the one that looks like cardboard?
Very limited in where I could take the photo too - end of street aligning with the boundary of the site for example, not withstanding some entirely blank walls etc.
Yes, a window opposite would be good though not possible in this case (and could not not guarantee safety if climbing on the roof)

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Here's another idea, based on the assumption that most of your jobs are not this extreme as the example you've posted: Stick with the gear you have, and for jobs like this rent the Canon 17mm.
you might be right... Just not reliable when there are extremely limited numbers for hiring in my city of 1million people in Australia!
01-28-2015, 06:30 AM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JayR Quote
you might be right... Just not reliable when there are extremely limited numbers for hiring in my city of 1million people in Australia!
Looks like there are several other gear hire firms around Australia, though, so if need be you could always have one shipped. Charging your client accordingly, of course.

01-30-2015, 07:40 PM   #80

Photos: Gallery
PC/TS on K-3, for about $800. It's not that hard :P (okok, that's also a 210mm on there, wide angle gets more expensive I admit)

Also: sample shots
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-30-2015, 09:23 PM   #81
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'll soon be buying into Canon, primarily for FF and their amazing shift lenses.
$$$$$$$$$$

BTW...you might want to rent your intended setup before you buy. The magic of shift is fairly limited.

Steve
01-30-2015, 09:29 PM   #82
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kain Quote
PC/TS on K-3, for about $800. It's not that hard :P (okok, that's also a 210mm on there, wide angle gets more expensive I admit)
Good luck! The minimum focal length you can mount and still attain infinity focus would be about 90mm* when using a K-mount camera on the rear standard and that would only be possible with very few view cameras. As we know, 90mm is a little on the long side for architecture work with APS-C.

Steve

* 49mm for the mirror box + an additional depth to clear the rear element. My Chamonix 4x5 could handle a 90mm for this purpose and still support movements, but it is good at that sort of thing. It might be possible to use a retro-focus medium format lens, but I suspect that 60mm is about as low as you can go.

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-30-2015 at 09:43 PM.
01-31-2015, 04:11 AM   #83

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
* 49mm for the mirror box + an additional depth to clear the rear element. My Chamonix 4x5 could handle a 90mm for this purpose and still support movements, but it is good at that sort of thing. It might be possible to use a retro-focus medium format lens, but I suspect that 60mm is about as low as you can go.
You are perfectly right Steve! I evilbayed for an old 20MP MF back when I realized that I really wanted to go wider than APS-C/90 on that beast. The bellows and movements are still awfully satisfying for macro work though!

(And we still have film, but thats neither here nor there, exactly...)

Last edited by kain; 01-31-2015 at 04:11 AM. Reason: oh and film
01-31-2015, 01:18 PM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kain Quote
(And we still have film, but thats neither here nor there, exactly...)
Film would actually be the easiest and cheapest. Maybe Canon TS is slightly easier (not cheaper), but with a 4x5 camera you're optically seeing the preview before you shoot. The building isn't going anywhere! So you can (and will) have to take some time to setup the shot. Seeing the image at 4x5 inches before you shoot is pretty nice in terms of size. And film can have exposure advantages as well. I don't think you ever answered the question - what kind of output are you creating, and how big?
01-31-2015, 05:46 PM   #85
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sadly, after learning photography 20 years ago with a manual focus K-mount Ricoh, a later replacement with the Pentax K30 and eventually going digital with the K7, its looking like I'll soon be buying into Canon, primarily for FF and their amazing shift lenses.

I do a little bit of commercial photography including architectural work on top of my day job as an architect, and have felt very limited by the lens line up in recent times, the Sigma 10-20 just wont cut it enough especially with taller building shots - only so much in the way of pixels you can lose with software perspective correction.

Ive liked using Pentax, particularly as the lenses are a bit smaller and a bit cheaper, but have found a few irritating things like the SDM death of the 16-50 (thankfully now fine with upgraded motor) the autofocus of the K7 being a bit average sometimes, limited modern lens range and/or rental options, and the less than ideal noise of the K7 sensor -
I'm probably going to end up selling my lenses as I dont see the point of running with two systems with incompatible mounts... Not looking forward to the cost of L lenses though!
Was looking into the Sony A7r with an adaptor so I could still use my Pentax lens AND get the Canon shift, but the adapter for Pentax isnt Autofocus (no good for the times when my left hand is holding a reflector in a model shoot!).

I'll miss the FA31 and 77, and the 50-135/2.8 particularly, even the 18-250 was a great holiday lens. Almost couldve considered using the Samyang 24mm TS if Pentax had a full frame, otherwise it or the old Pentax 28 Shift just arent wide enough!
So its looking like I'll be getting the Canon 6D, the 24 TSE, the 24-105 for a walk around and then the 17 TSE and some primes...
If only the Autofocus of the Sony A7 thing worked or there was an easy way of using pentax and canon lenses interchangeably.
You'll be sorry ! Last year I bought a Mark III because I was tired of waiting for the Pentax FF. I spent a small fortune on lenses and accessories. I've barely used them. They're bulky and heavy. They shoot great but I'm going back to my Pentax K-3. It's 24Mp sensor actually shoots a bigger raw image than the Mark III. The K-3 is also much easier to handle and make adjustments while shooting for say, exposure bracketing or sequential shots. It's a lot more ergonomic for the user.
01-31-2015, 05:51 PM   #86
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Had a Canon 24mm TSS years back, have a Samyang now for Pentax K3. The Canon was both optically superior and easier to use. Also had a Takumar 28mm shift used on an LX. BIG lens, but no tilt, which I wanted for DOF.
02-02-2015, 04:45 PM   #87
Veteran Member

Surely Pentax is good for a lot of things, but if you require T/S lenses, to suggest a Pentax solution is kind of silly.
One of the main reasons to buy into Canon is for the breadth of and diversity of it's lenses.
Buying a K-3 is not going to overcome his need for a T/S lens and neither will buying a Sigma 8-16mm.

Like was said earlier in this thread
"No one system offers perfect solution for every photographic challenge."
And Pentax is definitely not the system that will be a solution to this challenge.

Some folks make it sound like it is impossible to get a decent shot out of a Canon and yet, for some weird reason, people are able to churn out giant, beautiful prints that sell, and they happen to come out of Canon cameras.
02-02-2015, 06:12 PM   #88
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Surely Pentax is good for a lot of things, but if you require T/S lenses, to suggest a Pentax solution is kind of silly.
One of the main reasons to buy into Canon is for the breadth of and diversity of it's lenses.
Buying a K-3 is not going to overcome his need for a T/S lens and neither will buying a Sigma 8-16mm.

Like was said earlier in this thread
"No one system offers perfect solution for every photographic challenge."
And Pentax is definitely not the system that will be a solution to this challenge.

Some folks make it sound like it is impossible to get a decent shot out of a Canon and yet, for some weird reason, people are able to churn out giant, beautiful prints that sell, and they happen to come out of Canon cameras.
OK then , I'm curious, who made it sound like it's impossible to get a decent shot out of a Canon camera?
02-02-2015, 07:27 PM   #89

Original Poster
So Ive pulled the pin and bought a 6D and the new 16-35/4 UWA for this and will pick up the TS-E lenses soon.

Not about to ditch my Pentax gear entirely just yet (aint rid of me just yet!) but will put some stuff on the market soon probably - FA ltds and DA* amoungst them.
Thanks for your help and comments all!
02-03-2015, 05:19 AM   #90

You might get a few takers now for those FA Ltds!!