Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2015, 10:21 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Let me guess - 100 macro, 85 Soft, ... do * lenses count (I'm thinking 300)?
You are too good Yeah the 100 and the 85 are there now. I'm still looking for a 300 but that is serious money and I'm having a hard time justifying it since this is essentially a 'collection'. I have a DA*300 so another 300 would really be over kill. And if I give in to the 300, then the only things left are 250-600 and 600 and those are really serious money........

01-27-2015, 10:45 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
You are too good Yeah the 100 and the 85 are there now. I'm still looking for a 300 but that is serious money and I'm having a hard time justifying it since this is essentially a 'collection'. I have a DA*300 so another 300 would really be over kill. And if I give in to the 300, then the only things left are 250-600 and 600 and those are really serious money........
So then what's the 3rd one?

EDIT: I must have double-read 'there' and thought you said three! Therefore I was grasping for a third one, but only the first two made sense to me. Honestly, I didn't even look at the lens database before I chose those first two - I couldn't think of anything else worth getting (not that a 17-28 FE's bad - I have an FA version).

Last edited by DSims; 01-27-2015 at 10:52 PM.
01-27-2015, 11:33 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There is a Club :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/247282-pentax-lenses-ff-club.html

I also had a thread
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/169-pentax-full-frame/246917-does-my-m42-...ax+lenses+work
But I gave up shortly as it was just no fun doing 'tests' and lack of interest here.

DA lenses?
Sorry, but Falconeye's thread is as good as it gets and pretty accurate based on what I have tried and from friends usage of DA and DA* on their A7.
Those DA lenses that have weak edges are generally 'usable' if shallow DOF shooting is the objective.
For other uses, the weaker edges may not cut it or may need f8, f11.

The safest route is to go legacy lenses or FA ltd and wait out for a modern UWA if a FF ever comes (or the Samyang 14; Sigma 12-24)
01-28-2015, 12:24 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
There is a Club :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/247282-pentax-lenses-ff-club.html

DA lenses?
Sorry, but Falconeye's thread is as good as it gets and pretty accurate based on what I have tried and from friends usage of DA and DA* on their A7..
Wish that thread still had all the photos, but it is still useful.

---------- Post added 01-28-15 at 12:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I would also keep in mind that, with this in mind, DA lenses could theoretically be forced into crop mode on any potential digital Pentax FF body. I mean it is possible it reads the lens and would automatically set the mode regardless if the lens is otherwise fully functional with a FF sensor.
I understand that happens in some other cameras, but it would be foolish for Pentax unless it could be disabled. Entering the game this late, they should take advantage of any available lens options.

01-28-2015, 05:25 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Buy 'M' glass!
What a good idea - should have thought of that myself (refer signature block below...)
01-28-2015, 05:49 AM   #21
Forum Member

Buy 'F' glass:
I have the 35-70 from an SFX. God they were ugly lenses; nice IQ though.
01-28-2015, 07:12 AM   #22
Site Supporter

+1 both very nice, though build quality is not up to newer DA lenses.

Ouch............
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Sorry but you lost me. I can't seem to follow the point you're attempting to convey...?

I figured you might be using something other than English (easily forgiven - it happens many times here - we are an international forum after all), so I tried Google translate but it came up with no matches.

-Heie
Oh, wow! Haha! Looks like I kicked up a little dust here. Sorry, I forgot there could be some cultural sensitivities between LBA'ers and FBA'er (Film Buying Addiction).

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I would also keep in mind that, with this in mind, DA lenses could theoretically be forced into crop mode on any potential digital Pentax FF body. I mean it is possible it reads the lens and would automatically set the mode regardless if the lens is otherwise fully functional with a FF sensor.
There is a chance that when shooting RAW the entire image, including the blacked out areas, would be saved. If you can un-crop the RAW data by manipulating the effective pixels stated in the header then you may get FF functionality out of FF compatible DA lenses. There was a Python based script file floating around PF called uncrop.py that did this for Pentax Q RAW files. It was intended to un-crop images saved by a Q7 with the 03 fisheye lens. The 03 lens doesn't cover the entire 1/1.7" sensor. It would be up to you to do the cropping.

Here's a blog post written by someone with a Sony A7 using a DA 21mm. The author claims he can get effective 25mm crop on it. That would make sense. The image circle has to be big enough to cover the sensor and give our SR mechanisms room to move.

https://photoch.wordpress.com/2014/02/25/pentax-da-21mm-limited-on-a7-full-f...d-night-shots/

Something to think about.
01-28-2015, 09:28 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Good FF normal zoom is Tamron 28-75 f2.8, can even buy new lens cos they still do make these I suppose.

As telephoto many zooms are very good optically, even cheap manual telezooms that cost under 50$. MF is more easy with tele lenses than in wide-normal range. There is so many options for tele in second hand market. BTW looks like prices are little higher than year ago.

01-28-2015, 11:13 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Without going on a LBA binge your quickest and easiest path to FF is the FA Limiteds : the 31mm, the 43mm, and the 77mm. Consider the FA 20mm for wide angle and the D FA 100mm macro for telephoto. Beyond that you will need to follow jatrax's lead and go used. I would say that adding a 135mm and 200mm to everything I mentioned would complete you completely.
Hmm, I seem to be completed already (see sig), and then some. But no LBA here, of course.

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Other than that, you're just loading up on excess glass.
Just not possible.

QuoteOriginally posted by aoeu Quote
FA is the way.

* before limited but it's only an opinion.
I like the A series, but my eyes are telling me that FA works better for me. But the A* 300 will stay.
01-28-2015, 12:21 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Im doing myself something like: M 50mm f1.7, Tamron 70-200 f2.8 .. I will like to have the 24-70 f2.8 and perhaps an 85mm f1.4 or something like that.. i said myself that i wont by any more APS-C glass. So looking forward for the new zooms, and complement those with some good third party lenses like the Sigma Arts.
01-28-2015, 12:36 PM   #26
osv
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shaolen Quote
I was building my Q empire when that CES disclosed those lenses that appear to be full frame focal lengths. I immediately decided to sell my Q kit and get a DA* 55mm which surprisingly works well on full frame.
wise move... the little q was unfortunately obsolete before it was released, thanks to the sony nex cameras.

don't get hung up on getting just da glass... if you must have af, the fa35/2 is really nice on my a7r... for mf use, there are some pentax 28mm primes that are as good as anything on the market, when it comes to shooting landscapes... the 31ltd looks good there as well, but we already knew that:
Sony a7R 28mm Lens Shootout - FM Forums
01-28-2015, 01:59 PM   #27
Site Supporter

Original Poster
well ilk say this. I'll definitely have a Q7 again someday. To the person suggesting 645Z, yes I would love that but can't afford

---------- Post added 01-28-15 at 01:02 PM ----------

the pentax full frame is like the legendary creature that has alluded man for ages. I simply have to have it. I also know once this happens lenses that work on it will skyrocket in price. I wouldn't normally jump the gun on a FF rumor but seeing those lenses which are just too likely to be FF focal lengths is just a big sign of evidence to me. They just don't make much sense without a FF camera
01-28-2015, 02:39 PM   #28
Moderator PEG Judges

preparing for full frame
No prep required I'm good to go, bring it on...
01-28-2015, 02:47 PM   #29
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I always hear that the M lenses have a certain color rendering that people love. Is this a vibrant contrasty look?
01-28-2015, 04:07 PM   #30
Pentaxian

the pentax full frame is like the legendary creature that has alluded man for ages
...a bit like women's fidelity...

E' la fede delle femmine
come l'araba fenice:
che vi sia ciascun lo dice,
dove sia nessun lo sa!

...and no offence meant!