Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2015, 04:08 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Well there it is, if the printed model is accurate the Pentax Full frame camera (whatever they are going to call it) is going to be smaller than the D810.

QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
So here is the FA31 on a D810
I hope you didn't have to remove anything from that lens to use it on the D810..

02-06-2015, 09:19 AM   #77

Photos: Gallery
mwahaha, dpreview.com is down for an hour here already ... I guess the servers cant withstand all the traffic from pentax universe ;-)
02-06-2015, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #78
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hope not!

QuoteOriginally posted by camerasup Quote
I hope that could happen too. But I know how companies are... They don't want to give you all the advantages always. As long as I could still mount the k mount is a huge deal for all of us. I wouldn't be surprised if the camera said Ricoh. Maybe could be like a fresh start for them.
That would be a huge naming mistake. Corporate pride would be served, but not customer acceptance. Sony made that mistake ten years ago, when it took over Minolta. As a user of that system, I soon lost count of the times people wrote and said, "That's a TV company... Sony makes good TVs, but..." or worse. Ricoh is seen in the US as a copier company (like Canon!). You don't win in the marketplace by opposing consumer preconceptions. Pentax may have kept a low profile for a long, long time, but it's still very widely known for its cameras and binoculars. .
02-06-2015, 11:22 AM - 4 Likes   #79
Marketplace Reseller

Quick and dirty side by side of the new body with likely detail additions next to a k-3 (from which many of those details were stolen). I scaled the images to match the lens release button and mf/af switch positions, so presumably this should give a fairly decent idea of the relative size, too.

02-06-2015, 12:05 PM   #80
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Quick and dirty side by side of the new body with likely detail additions next to a k-3 (from which many of those details were stolen). I scaled the images to match the lens release button and mf/af switch positions, so presumably this should give a fairly decent idea of the relative size, too.
Very nice!
02-06-2015, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #81

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
sizewise it looks like K10D/K20D which I liked more (k5/3 is too small for me)
02-06-2015, 02:06 PM   #82
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by infoomatic Quote
That would be nice. I actually love the K7/5/3 handling but also loved the K10/20 handling just as much.
I kept my K10 around for quite some time for that reason alone.
02-06-2015, 03:17 PM   #83
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatridger Quote
That would be a huge naming mistake. Corporate pride would be served, but not customer acceptance. Sony made that mistake ten years ago, when it took over Minolta. As a user of that system, I soon lost count of the times people wrote and said, "That's a TV company... Sony makes good TVs, but..." or worse. Ricoh is seen in the US as a copier company (like Canon!). You don't win in the marketplace by opposing consumer preconceptions. Pentax may have kept a low profile for a long, long time, but it's still very widely known for its cameras and binoculars. .
True, I like that name Minolta. Thats too bad its in the past now. I hope it says Pentax, its a great name and its time to shine.

---------- Post added 02-06-15 at 02:20 PM ----------

Looking forward to that too. The k20d gets a 10 plus for handling and performance.

02-06-2015, 03:29 PM   #84
Forum Member

We are dooomed anyway. Canon has announced a 50MP FF DSLR... ;-)
02-06-2015, 04:30 PM   #85
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I hope you didn't have to remove anything from that lens to use it on the D810..
Nope... K to F adaptor.
02-06-2015, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #86
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Petrus_One Quote
We are dooomed anyway. Canon has announced a 50MP FF DSLR
yawn, we already have the 645Z. Canon is biting off more than they can chew. Half their lens line up will never be able to meet the resolution demands of a 50Mp sensor.

Last edited by Digitalis; 02-07-2015 at 02:02 AM.
02-08-2015, 03:06 AM   #87

too late to switch horses

For years I waited with no way to have ultra wide angle on APS, Sigma solved it with the 8-16 and the 10-20. Thanks Sigma. Where was the Pentax?
I still wanted FF but gradually realised I didn't need it, APS saved space and the holy grail of a sensor the same size as 35mm film was meaningless to realists.
Now Ricoh have changed horses in mid stream.
If this means no more pro quality lenses for APS I wont be buying anymore lenses from Pentax.
I won't be buying the FF as my camera bag is big enough already and a bigger sensor just isnt neccessary unless you do huge high res images or are just locked into FF as an objective.
02-08-2015, 03:16 AM   #88
Site Supporter

@mikereid
There is no reason to suspect Pentax will abandon APS-C. It has built an excellent system of lenses and bodies, from consumer to professional level. It will certainly continue to have a place in my bag after Big Brother comes.
02-08-2015, 01:09 PM   #89
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
sizewise it looks like K10D/K20D which I liked more
For left-eyed shooters like me, bigger bodies can have some ergonomic advantages.

K-x/K-5/K-3 rear button placement means thumb and nose are in each other's way when the eye is on the viewfinder. I find it really awkward to adjust AF points, for example, with the K-3 whilst also keeping my eye on the viewfinder. By providing more distance between viewfinder and rear controls, larger bodies - even Nikon D610 size - can be more functional for left-eye shooters. So if Pentax want's to go a bit bigger with their FF body, that won't be a bad thing for me.
02-09-2015, 12:04 AM   #90

Is it true that the Full Frame Pentax will be based on a Foveon sensor?