Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
02-04-2015, 09:18 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My next question has to do with the LCD. Will it have a flippy screen, like the new APS-C that was shown at CES will have (hope not), or will it have one like the 645Z (hope so, fingers crossed).

02-04-2015, 09:18 PM   #47
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
My question is .. what is exactly the difference between the full frame and the K-3. I was going to buy the K-3 and already purchased the K mount lenses..

It seems this full frame will accept the Kmount lenses that I already purchased as well, is that correct??

I am sooo happy I moved over from Nikon to Pentax.
I was planning on getting the K-3 in a few months but will wait if the prices are a few hundred apart. Can anyone confirm about the current lenses>?
02-04-2015, 09:37 PM   #48
Veteran Member

You can get an idea of FF performance by comparing images taken with a Sony A7 against images taken with a K-3. Besides the wider field of view for the same focal length a FF body should offer a bit more dynamic range and lower noise. At low ISO setting the difference sensor performance may be more measurable than noticeable. It's the high ISO settings that get me excited. Oh, and of course I'm excited about the idea of using my FA Limited lenses! Glass trumps all!
02-04-2015, 09:38 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
All my FA* lenses in my dry box finally get a perfect fit.

02-04-2015, 09:41 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgirl57 Quote
My question is .. what is exactly the difference between the full frame and the K-3. I was going to buy the K-3 and already purchased the K mount lenses..

It seems this full frame will accept the Kmount lenses that I already purchased as well, is that correct??

I am sooo happy I moved over from Nikon to Pentax.
I was planning on getting the K-3 in a few months but will wait if the prices are a few hundred apart. Can anyone confirm about the current lenses>?
I am not privy to any inside information, but I would be very surprised if the full frame were to cost less than $2000. I would expect $2500-3000 would be more realistic. All K-mount lenses ever made will work on it.

It will a pro-level camera, and best reserved for pros and serious enthusiasts. If I were you I'd get a K-3, or even look at other consumer cameras like the K-S1 or the not-yet-named K-50 replacement.
02-04-2015, 11:30 PM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

As everybody now, the emotions are so strong that we have many things to say! I never expected that something so irrelevant with my everyday life could give me so much joy!

I'm a poor Greek happy Pentaxian guy! I just hope that one day I will have the joy to shoot with this Pentax FF!

From the specifications and the marketing (especailly pricing) it seems that Pentax-Ricoh creates its own "space" in the market by pushing through the competition rather than just releasing a FF camera and lenses and passively hoping for getting a share from the remnants of the already established players... I LOVE that even though I might just watching it happening without being able to participate! This is exciting!
02-05-2015, 03:55 AM   #52

for the german speaking community an article with details: Pentax: Digitale Kleinbildkamera kommt | photoscala

02-05-2015, 04:13 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RiceHigh will be frothing at the mouth..
02-05-2015, 04:24 AM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Head on over to DPR. Beginning with the snarky announcement (Iit starts by reminding everyone Pentax 'announced' the MZ-D, so don't be sure you'll ever see this camera) the comments are bilious.

I feel dirty.
It's annoying. Pentax having a full frame doesn't make Canon or Nikon's cameras worse. The more competition, the better, as it pushes all of the players to up their games. Yet, there are plenty of people who feel attached to a brand and feel it necessary to attack all other brand, I guess to make their choice look better.

It is clear (as you have said many times) that Ricoh has a plan. It is slow moving -- slower than what we want -- but once they started it, it has been a slow grind forward ever since. They don't seem to care whether they have products ready for specific dates either. Just get them ready to as close to perfection as they can and then announce them -- whether or not it is at Photokina or some other big meeting.
02-05-2015, 04:34 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
there are plenty of people who feel attached to a brand and feel it necessary to attack all other brand, I guess to make their choice look better.
It could be worse, do you know what happened to the Konica Hexar RF system?- in the small pond that is the RF world, Leicaphiles just couldn't handle the fact that some Japanese company came out with a product that was superior to the latest Leica M7* in almost every way - so Leicaphiles killed the hexar system off, purely out of spite: they started rumors of M lens incompatibility**, they deliberately sought to undermine the camera for petty reasons due to its origins ( what does Konica know about making cameras?), they stooped to harassing people on online forums who bought a Hexar RF and didn't already own a Leica - it showed how petty and narrow minded the hardcore Leica community can be.

* Though as soon as the M7 came out, trashing the Leica M6TTL, The standard M6,M5 and M4 became a priority. Seriously, leicaphiles are weird crowd.
**there were some incompatibilities with some older Voigtlander and Leica M glass, but a majority of modern made lenses were perfectly fine. Along with the excellent Hexanon-M lenses Konica made.

Last edited by Digitalis; 02-05-2015 at 04:46 AM.
02-05-2015, 05:27 AM   #56

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
That was my immediate impression, too. The aesthetics are largely a matter of taste, but the apparent size means a nice big, bright viewfinder will accompany it, and that's a characteristic I find very appealing.

Big bright viewfinder for easy focusing with old manual focus Pentax lenses, that will be heaven

02-05-2015, 05:51 AM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goodnight Quote
They should all work in the crop mode, but for full coverage on 35mm check out the DA lenses on Full Frame thread that falconeye started. It looks like the DA 15 and 21 won't the trick, but the DA 35 can if you stop down to ~f/4-f/5.6 and crop a little, and the DA 40 and 70 will do it with stopping down.
How difficult would it be to make it user configurable? Cameras already store AF adjustments on a per lens basis, so why not store a crop factor?

Imagine: You snap a photo, you look at the result on your LCD, and you "zoom in" using the thumbwheel to a crop factor you're comfortable with, and you store it for that
lens.

You could crop DA lens images to a 1:1 aspect ratio...

They should at least make it possible to turn crop mode on/off.
02-05-2015, 08:24 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Decisions, decisions, Cancel the new Explorer or get both.
02-05-2015, 08:36 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goodnight Quote
They should all work in the crop mode, but for full coverage on 35mm check out the DA lenses on Full Frame thread that falconeye started. It looks like the DA 15 and 21 won't the trick, but the DA 35 can if you stop down to ~f/4-f/5.6 and crop a little, and the DA 40 and 70 will do it with stopping down.
So glad I still have my FA 20-35 as well as 4 SMC-A lenses. Crop mode will be very useful. How will the viewfinder work with it?

Will it be 36 MP at full frame as is suggested? It approaches the resolution of 645 cameras.

Last edited by jeverettfine; 02-05-2015 at 08:48 AM.
02-05-2015, 11:37 AM   #60

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
wow, finally. Hope they bring back full k-mount too (de-crippled) and full exif support with manual lenses like Nikon.
I hope that could happen too. But I know how companies are... They don't want to give you all the advantages always. As long as I could still mount the k mount is a huge deal for all of us. I wouldn't be surprised if the camera said Ricoh. Maybe could be like a fresh start for them.